Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsSerial Murders Northern California
IN THE NEWS

Serial Murders Northern California

FEATURED ARTICLES
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 29, 1998 | DANIEL YI, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Courtroom spectators watched in shock Wednesday as the prosecution in the trial of accused serial killer Charles Ng introduced some of the most harrowing evidence in the high-profile case. Deputy Atty. Gen. Sharlene Honnaka played a video in which murder victim Kathi Allen is seen tied semi-naked to a bed while Leonard Lake, the man authorities say was Ng's partner in a string of 12 murders 14 years ago in Northern California, allegedly threatens her.
ARTICLES BY DATE
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 9, 2001 | JOHN M. GLIONNA, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The envelopes are weathered by time, the sinister block lettering now slightly faded. But after decades in a police evidence room, they may at last deliver something the sender never intended: conclusive evidence to finally identify the Zodiac killer. Under the bright-light scrutiny of a police crime lab, authorities are subjecting a handful of the letters to the latest DNA testing in an attempt to decipher one of the most notorious unsolved murder rampages of the 20th century.
Advertisement
NEWS
July 25, 1995 | RICHARD C. PADDOCK, TIMES STAFF WRITER
First, Jack Barron's wife, Irene, died in bed in the spring of 1992. She was only 34, but Barron told friends and neighbors in their working-class neighborhood that she had been sick for some time. Eight months later, Jack Barron's son, Jeremy, 4, stopped breathing in his sleep. Barron suggested to his in-laws that there was some genetic link, and they all went in for tests to find the cause.
NEWS
December 12, 2000 | ERIC BAILEY and CHRISTINE HANLEY, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
Hours after his arrest in the slaying of a Yosemite naturalist last year, Cary Stayner told authorities that he never intended to kill the woman and did not feel good about her murder, even though he initially considered keeping her decapitated head as a trophy. A portion of Stayner's lengthy interrogation by an FBI agent after the July 1999 murder of Joie Ruth Armstrong, 26, was ordered released Monday by a federal appeals court. Stayner, who pleaded guilty Nov.
NEWS
December 12, 2000 | ERIC BAILEY and CHRISTINE HANLEY, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
Hours after his arrest in the slaying of a Yosemite naturalist last year, Cary Stayner told authorities that he never intended to kill the woman and did not feel good about her murder, even though he initially considered keeping her decapitated head as a trophy. A portion of Stayner's lengthy interrogation by an FBI agent after the July 1999 murder of Joie Ruth Armstrong, 26, was ordered released Monday by a federal appeals court. Stayner, who pleaded guilty Nov.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 2, 1999 | RICHARD MAROSI, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Confronted with grisly videos considered the strongest evidence against him, accused serial killer Charles Ng on Monday said death threats made to two victims on the recordings were "bluffs" and that his brutal behavior was intended only to "erotically turn on" his alleged accomplice. Ng, accused of murdering 12 people, took part in the videos recorded at the Calaveras County home of his alleged accomplice, Leonard Lake, where the bodies were found.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 21, 1991 | From Associated Press
Authorities believe a "thrill killer" is behind two shootings within a week that have left six people dead. Sheriff's officials advised late-night stores and restaurants in northeastern Sacramento suburbs to take extra security precautions Wednesday, a day after three employees of a pizza parlor were fatally wounded in the head. Investigators said the victims were killed with the same handgun used to murder two employees and a customer a week earlier at a convenience store a mile away.
NEWS
October 27, 1998 | DANIEL YI, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In a chilling presage of gruesome evidence, the long-delayed trial of accused mass murderer Charles Ng got underway in a Santa Ana courtroom Monday with excerpts from home videos showing Ng and a partner allegedly threatening to kill two women unless they became the men's sex slaves. The videos were found in a remote Calaveras County cabin where Ng is accused of taking a dozen kidnapped victims, including two infants, and then killing and dismembering them 14 years ago.
NEWS
May 6, 1999 | MARY CURTIUS, TIMES STAFF WRITER
For 17 months, Police Det. David Parris has combed underbrush, searched swamps, banged on doors and run down hundreds of tips--including ones from psychics--in a frustrating search for Karen Mitchell, a high school junior who vanished in broad daylight from a downtown street.
NEWS
February 25, 1999 | DANIEL YI, TIMES STAFF WRITER
An Orange County jury Wednesday convicted Charles Ng on 11 counts of murder for his role in a notorious Northern California killing spree 14 years ago, capping one of the longest and costliest criminal prosecutions in California history. The jury will next decide whether the 38-year-old former Marine should be sentenced to death because of its finding of "special circumstances," based on the number of murders he committed. The penalty phase is scheduled to begin March 8.
NEWS
November 30, 1999 | From Associated Press
The state Supreme Court on Monday upheld the second death sentence of David Joseph Carpenter, the so-called "Trailside Killer" who was convicted of seven murders after terrorizing hikers two decades ago. The 6-1 ruling affirmed Carpenter's convictions and death sentence for five fatal shootings in Marin County in October and November 1980. He also was convicted of raping two victims and trying to rape a third.
NEWS
May 6, 1999 | MARY CURTIUS, TIMES STAFF WRITER
For 17 months, Police Det. David Parris has combed underbrush, searched swamps, banged on doors and run down hundreds of tips--including ones from psychics--in a frustrating search for Karen Mitchell, a high school junior who vanished in broad daylight from a downtown street.
NEWS
May 5, 1999 | From Reuters
Charles Ng, facing the death penalty for 11 murders, may have contacted one of the jurors weighing his fate to tell her she was "very nice," court transcripts released Tuesday showed. But the judge in the case decided he could not establish that Ng, 38, was the man named "Charles" who called the shaken juror at home last week, and let the case proceed. The nine-woman, three-man jury recommended Monday that the former U.S.
NEWS
May 4, 1999 | DANIEL YI, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Convicted serial killer Charles Ng should be executed for his role in the murders of 11 people in a mountain cabin 14 years ago, a jury recommended Monday after one of California's longest and costliest prosecutions. Superior Court Judge John J. Ryan will hand down Ng's sentence at a future hearing. For relatives of Ng's victims, the death penalty recommendation marked a long-awaited but satisfying act of justice in a marathon case that often left them frustrated and angry.
NEWS
April 22, 1999 | From Associated Press
The mother of serial killer Charles Ng sobbed on the witness stand Wednesday as she blamed herself for failing to stop her husband from beating him as a child. Oiping Ng told jurors that she has lived in anguish since her son was arrested and has had to endure news reports in Hong Kong describing her child as a "devil." "Of course I love him very much," she testified through a Cantonese interpreter. "Ever since he was in jail I never had a good day.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 21, 1999 | DANIEL YI, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In an emotional plea to save his son's life, the father of convicted serial killer Charles Ng testified Tuesday that he severely beat Ng as a child and partially blames himself for his son's role in the killing spree 14 years ago. "I don't know how to say how our son Charles [got] involved with this thing," said Kenneth Ng, 69, in halting English. "I don't know what to say to you good people."
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 24, 1995 | TOM RAGAN
A special $2.5-million fund was set up by the Board of Supervisors on Tuesday to pay for the coming trial in Orange County of Charles Chitat Ng, who is accused of multiple murders in Northern California. But the bankrupt county will not pay for the bill. Instead, the state and Calaveras County, where the case originated, will reimburse all costs under a special financing agreement reached in March between the Board of Supervisors and the other two parties.
NEWS
February 25, 1999 | RICHARD MAROSI, TIMES STAFF WRITER
For 14 years after her brother's disappearance, Sharon Sellitto put her life on hold to help ensure that Charles Ng, the man she believes killed her brother, was brought to justice. On Tuesday she held back tears and shook her head in disbelief as an Orange County jury returned guilty verdicts on all but one of the 12 murder counts Ng faced. The jury had deadlocked on the count charging Ng with the murder of Sellitto's brother, Paul Cosner, a San Francisco car dealer who vanished in late 1984.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 15, 1999 | DANIEL YI, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In the latest twist in the long-running case of convicted killer Charles Ng, an Orange County judge on Wednesday dismissed a juror and charged an investigator with "prosecutorial misconduct" for talking to the panelist outside the courtroom. Superior Court Judge John J. Ryan put one of the three remaining alternates on the jury, which is deciding whether Ng should get the death penalty.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 13, 1999 | DANIEL YI, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The very personality trait that made him susceptible to the control of a twisted killer and eventually led him to murder 11 people makes Charles Ng a good candidate for life in prison instead of execution, attorneys for the convicted serial killer argued Monday. Contending that Ng suffers from "dependent personality disorder," his lawyers painted a more humane picture of their client as the penalty phase of the trial resumed after a month's delay.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|