Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsSerial Murders Northern California
IN THE NEWS

Serial Murders Northern California

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 2, 1999 | RICHARD MAROSI, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Confronted with grisly videos considered to be the strongest evidence against him, accused serial killer Charles Ng said Monday that death threats made to two victims on the tapes were "bluffs" and that his brutal behavior was intended only to "erotically turn on" his alleged accomplice. Ng, who is accused of murdering 12 people, took part in the videos recorded at the Calaveras County home of his alleged accomplice, Leonard Lake, where the bodies were found.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 29, 1999 | DANIEL YI, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Accused serial killer Charles Ng on Thursday acknowledged that he helped bury two bodies and participated in sadomasochistic games with victims but continued to emphatically deny that he took part in a killing spree in Northern California 14 years ago. Despite tough questioning by a prosecutor who attempted to discredit his account, Ng continued to insist that his friend, Leonard Lake, actually committed the 12 murders at a secluded cabin property in Calaveras County.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 18, 1998 | DANIEL YI, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Prosecutors wrapped up their case against accused serial killer Charles Ng by presenting a series of cartoons Tuesday that they said the defendant drew of his alleged murder victims while in a Canadian prison. The state rested its case two months after the trial began and well ahead of schedule.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 29, 1998 | DANIEL YI, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Courtroom spectators watched in shock Wednesday as the prosecution in the trial of accused serial killer Charles Ng introduced some of the most harrowing evidence in the high-profile case. Deputy Atty. Gen. Sharlene Honnaka played a video in which murder victim Kathi Allen is seen tied semi-naked to a bed while Leonard Lake, the man authorities say was Ng's partner in a string of 12 murders 14 years ago in Northern California, allegedly threatens her.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 28, 1998 | DANIEL YI
Only a day after the start of trial for serial-murder suspect Charles Ng, proceedings came to a halt Tuesday because of a sick juror. Orange County Superior Court Judge John J. Ryan postponed proceedings until today, when the status of the juror, a man who may have caught the flu, will be better known. There are six alternate jurors. The prosecution and defense presented opening statements Monday, and the state began introducing its first witnesses.
NEWS
October 27, 1998 | DANIEL YI, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In a chilling presage of gruesome evidence, the long-delayed trial of accused mass murderer Charles Ng got underway in a Santa Ana courtroom Monday with excerpts from home videos showing Ng and a partner allegedly threatening to kill two women unless they became the men's sex slaves. The videos were found in a remote Calaveras County cabin where Ng is accused of taking a dozen kidnapped victims, including two infants, and then killing and dismembering them 14 years ago.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 9, 1998 | ASSOCIATED PRESS
Accused mass murderer Charles Ng, who has managed for 14 years to avoid trial for torture killings in Northern California, narrowly avoided a whack from a bailiff's baton Thursday when he cursed an Orange County judge in a Santa Ana courtroom. Superior Court Judge John J. Ryan had just denied Ng's attorneys' request to reopen arguments for a competency hearing, saying that ground had been covered many times, when Ng's expletive-laden outburst occurred.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 15, 1998 | DANIEL YI, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In what is expected to be a long and arduous task, jury selection began Monday in the long-awaited Orange County trial of accused torturer-murderer Charles Ng. Ng, who faces the death penalty, is charged with slaying a dozen people at a Calaveras County cabin in the mid-1980s. His trial was transferred to Orange County because pretrial publicity may have tainted the jury pool in Northern California. Superior Court Judge John J.
NEWS
September 15, 1998 | DANIEL YI, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In what is expected to be a long and arduous task, jury selection began Monday in the long-awaited Orange County trial of alleged torturer-murderer Charles Ng. Ng, who may face the death penalty, is charged with killing a dozen people at a Calaveras County cabin in the mid-1980s. His trial was transferred to Orange County because of fears that pretrial publicity could have tainted the jury pool in Northern California. Superior Court Judge John J.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 10, 1998 | GREG HERNANDEZ, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The accidental death of a key witness in the case against serial-murder suspect Charles Ng underscores why the trial--already delayed more than a dozen years--must proceed quickly, a prosecution spokesman said Tuesday. Ng, 37, allegedly confessed his crimes to Joseph Maurice Laberge, who was in a witness protection program because he was to testify against Ng. Laberge, 46, died in a car accident in Canada on May 19.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|