Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsSex Crimes
IN THE NEWS

Sex Crimes

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 8, 1990 | PENELOPE McMILLAN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A former county Department of Children's Services supervisor who had publicly questioned the moral taboos against sexual activity involving children pleaded no contest to 20 felony molestation charges Friday. Gerald Davis, 55, of Long Beach, had been charged with sexually assaulting six boys and one girl ranging in age from 1 to 9 years old, including his grandchildren and neighbors' children. Davis' stepson has also claimed that he was molested 20 years ago.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 13, 2004 | Mai Tran, Times Staff Writer
A longtime community activist and leader of the annual Lunar New Year festivities in Orange County was arraigned Thursday on charges of rape and molestation. Huy Ngoc Nguyen, 34, of Midway City pleaded not guilty at his first court appearance in Westminster since his arrest Tuesday, three days after his wedding. He is being held at Orange County Jail on $1-million bail. Nguyen is accused of one felony count of forcible rape on a woman in February or March, said Deputy Dist. Atty. Beth Costello.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 19, 1994 | ERIC BAILEY, TIMES STAFF WRITER
With the planned parole of two notorious serial rapists creating public outrage, an Orange County lawmaker has landed in the midst of the state's latest anti-crime crusade--ensuring that sex offenders are jailed for life. Sen. Marian Bergeson (R-Newport Beach) is pushing a "one strike and you're out" bill that would require first-time convicted rapists and child molesters to spend life in prison without the possibility of parole.
NEWS
July 18, 1992 | MELISSA HEALY, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Army soldiers in the Persian Gulf allegedly committed at least 34 sex-related crimes during the yearlong Desert Shield and Desert Storm operations, Army documents have revealed. In at least 31 instances, the victims were other U.S. troops. Other victims included one Saudi civilian and one Saudi soldier.
NEWS
February 18, 1997 | ERIC HARRISON, TIMES STAFF WRITER
By all accounts, T. Kevin Dotson had begun to turn his life around. Paroled from prison four years ago after serving time for molesting his daughter, Dotson had remarried, started attending church and moved into a nice apartment in an Atlanta suburb. But when the 37-year-old housing subcontractor reported to work one afternoon last month, his boss told him he was fired.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 16, 1990 | RICK HOLGUIN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A Downey man was charged with molesting his 9-year-old neighbor after a burglar stole some video equipment from his apartment--and a homemade, pornographic videotape taken in the theft ended up in the hands of the girl's mother. Ward Allen Rafay, 28, pleaded not guilty Wednesday to nine felony counts of committing lewd acts with a child and one felony count of possession of marijuana for sale, according to Downey Municipal Court documents.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 26, 2002 | ANNA GORMAN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Repeat sex offenders who have completed their prison terms must be treated as patients rather than prisoners and be given mental health treatment while they remain in jail, a Los Angeles judge ruled Tuesday. The order requiring the state to provide treatment applies to 203 convicts who are awaiting hearings to determine if they will be sent to state mental hospitals under California's Sexually Violent Predator Act.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 7, 2013 | Jason Felch
Occidental College's underreporting of sexual assault allegations was far more extensive than campus officials have acknowledged, according to documents, interviews and a Times review of two confidential federal complaints against the school. In October, the college said it had failed to disclose two dozen sexual assault allegations made by students in 2010 and 2011, a potential violation of federal law. At the time, officials said their revisions represented a complete accounting of the assault cases.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 15, 1999 | EVELYN LARRUBIA, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A former basketball coach who was fired after it was disclosed he was a sex offender pleaded guilty Tuesday to submitting false fingerprints for an employment background check. Darryl McDonald, 36, of Sylmar, will face a maximum of 16 months in prison at a February sentencing. His lawyer said he would ask for probation.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 25, 2004 | Jordan Rau, Times Staff Writer
Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on Friday delivered a preelection gift to one of the most vulnerable Democrats in the Legislature by signing her bill to post information about released sex offenders on the Internet.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|