Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsSexual Assault Case
IN THE NEWS

Sexual Assault Case

FEATURED ARTICLES
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 26, 2013 | By Robert J. Lopez
A 35-year-old Riverside County man has been arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting a child, law enforcement authorities said Wednesday. Investigators said that the child was abused over a period of time by Steven Lawrence Rivera, according to Riverside County Sheriff's Department. Rivera, who lives in Eastvale, turned himself into authorities Tuesday and was arrested in connection with the abuse. Authorities did not release any details on child but said they launched their investigation Friday after receiving a report of suspected sexual abuse.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NATIONAL
April 15, 2014 | By Timothy M. Phelps
WASHINGTON - The Defense Department, under pressure from Congress to reexamine the way it handles sexual assault cases, announced Tuesday a comprehensive review of the entire military justice system. "It's been over 30 years since the military code of justice was reviewed. It's simply time," said Lt. Col. J. Todd Breasseale, a Pentagon spokesman. "Sexual assault will certainly be part of the compendium of issues that will be looked at, but it's by no means the sole issue. " Members of Congress and women's groups have been strongly critical of how the military handles sexual assault cases, particularly the authority that military officers have to overturn the convictions of those under their command.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 18, 2013
Join us at 9 a.m., when we talk with Times reporters Jason Song and Jason Felch about Occidental College's settlement with current and former students who accused the campus of mishandling allegations of sexual assault. During talks last week, senior officials at the Eagle Rock liberal arts college agreed to pay the women an undisclosed sum on the condition that they not speak publicly about the college's handling of their cases, according to three sources familiar with the agreement.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 31, 2014 | By Ani Ucar and Jack Leonard
A nursing assistant who worked at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center is under investigation for allegedly sexually assaulting two patients while they were heavily medicated and too weak to resist, according to court records and interviews. The women came forward separately last year and gave Los Angeles police similar accounts about how a male employee assaulted them while they were being treated at the hospital. Detectives served a search warrant at Cedars-Sinai earlier this year to obtain disciplinary records for Guillermo Fernando Diaz, a nursing assistant who had been assigned to a heart patient area.
SPORTS
December 5, 2013 | By Chris Dufresne
Jeff Cameron of Tallahassee, Fla., radio station WTSM-FM reported live on ESPN Thursday morning that Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston will not be charged in a sexual assault complaint filed by a woman in December 2012. Cameron said he could "definitely confirm" the story from his sources. ESPN broke the news less than half an hour before a scheduled news conference by Florida state attorney Willie Meggs. Winston, a 19-year-old freshman, has led Florida State to a No. 1 ranking this year and is a leading candidate for the Heisman Trophy.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 1, 2013 | By Robert J. Lopez
Two underage boys have been arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting a student at a Riverside County high school, authorities said Tuesday night. The boys were arrested for allegedly engaging in multiple felony sexual assault acts during the Sept. 25 attack at Eleanor Roosevelt High School in Eastvale, according to the Riverside County Sheriff's Department. The assault took place after hours on the campus at 7447 Scholar Way. "Investigators determined that this sexual assault is an isolated incident and the involved victim and suspects have been identified," authorities said in a statement.
NATIONAL
March 10, 2014 | By David Zucchino
FT. BRAGG, N.C. - The Army improperly interfered with the decision to reject Brig. Gen. Jeffrey A. Sinclair's offer to plead guilty to lesser charges in his sexual assault case, a military judge ruled Monday. Col. James L. Pohl said there was evidence that Army officials had exerted "unlawful command influence" when a three-star general turned down Sinclair's offer before the trial. The judge gave defense attorneys the option of renewing Sinclair's original plea offer or making a different one; in any case, he said, the case must be overseen by a new command authority.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 21, 1996
The father of a 13-year-old Gardena girl, who claims she was sexually assaulted by a neighbor, has been arrested in the murder of the alleged rapist, police said Tuesday. Jose Ventura, 45, was booked on suspicion of murder Sunday after he allegedly gunned down Rigoberto Martinez. Ventura's daughter stated Saturday that Martinez, 35, had raped her at least three times since November, Gardena Sgt. Bob Michaelsen said. The Venturas filed a police report Saturday.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 24, 1997 | DADE HAYES
With some members alluding to the recent kidnap-slaying of a 10-year-old Beaumont boy, the City Council approved a $25,000 reward Wednesday for information leading to the arrest of a man believed to have sexually assaulted a 7-year-old boy at a North Hills fast-food restaurant. "It's an appropriate time to be mindful that there are those in society who don't care about young children," said Councilman Richard Alarcon, whose district lies just east of the crime scene.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 4, 2004 | From Times Staff and Wire Reports
The search continued Tuesday for a man who picked up a woman at a Buena Park bus stop and agreed to drive her somewhere but instead took her to Tonner Canyon and tried to rape her, police said. The woman, in her 30s, was sexually assaulted, Anaheim Police Sgt. Rick Martinez said. Police are searching for the man's car, a teal-colored 1980s Chevy Camaro. Anyone with information is asked to call (714) 765-1900.
NATIONAL
March 10, 2014 | By David Zucchino
FT. BRAGG, N.C. - The Army improperly interfered with the decision to reject Brig. Gen. Jeffrey A. Sinclair's offer to plead guilty to lesser charges in his sexual assault case, a military judge ruled Monday. Col. James L. Pohl said there was evidence that Army officials had exerted "unlawful command influence" when a three-star general turned down Sinclair's offer before the trial. The judge gave defense attorneys the option of renewing Sinclair's original plea offer or making a different one; in any case, he said, the case must be overseen by a new command authority.
SPORTS
January 9, 2014 | Staff and wire reports
The attorney for a woman who accused star Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston of sexual assault said Thursday that she intends to sue the school, the Tallahassee Police Department and the player himself. Also Thursday, Gov. Rick Scott's office released letters written to him in December by the accuser and her mother, imploring him to reconsider opening an investigation into the case. Florida State, the Tallahassee Police Department and an attorney for Winston couldn't immediately be reached for comment.
SPORTS
January 3, 2014 | Bill Dwyre
For a while, it was difficult to know whether we would hear more from Jameis Winston via the courtroom or the football field. Now, as sports people like to say in the aftermath of negativity, Winston has put all the bad stuff behind him. No courtroom looms. Ahead is the glamour of playing a leading role in Monday night's Bowl Championship Series title game at the Rose Bowl. Winston is Florida State's quarterback. His top-ranked team will face Auburn. There are many story lines, but Winston's is the attention-getter.
SPORTS
December 5, 2013 | By Chris Dufresne
Jeff Cameron of Tallahassee, Fla., radio station WTSM-FM reported live on ESPN Thursday morning that Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston will not be charged in a sexual assault complaint filed by a woman in December 2012. Cameron said he could "definitely confirm" the story from his sources. ESPN broke the news less than half an hour before a scheduled news conference by Florida state attorney Willie Meggs. Winston, a 19-year-old freshman, has led Florida State to a No. 1 ranking this year and is a leading candidate for the Heisman Trophy.
OPINION
October 10, 2013 | By The Times editorial board
Occidental College and USC - both of which have been under federal investigation in connection with their handling of sexual assault cases - have now acknowledged underreporting the number of incidents that took place on their campuses. That's disturbing, even if, as both schools say, the underreporting was due to a misunderstanding about whether they were required to report anonymous complaints. The disclosure that the numbers were substantially lower than they should have been - 13 fewer at USC and 24 at Occidental - comes at a time when frustration and anger are growing nationally over the issue of sexual assault on campuses.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 2, 2013 | By Ari Bloomekatz
Officials with the Los Angeles County coroner's office are asking for the public's help in identifying the remains of a man found over the summer in Montebello along a bike path. The skeletal remains were discovered July 31 along the Rio Hondo Riverbed bike path near Lincoln Avenue and San Gabriel Boulevard, according to Coroner's Lt. Larry Dietz. The remains were determined to be those of a white or Latino man, anywhere from 35 to 55 years old, coroner's officials said. The man has a partial denture at the back of his lower right jaw. The department also released two composite sketches of what they believe the man may have looked like and are asking that anyone with information call (323)
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 2, 2013 | By Ari Bloomekatz
A man attempted to break into Rihanna's Pacific Palisades home over the weekend, but was unsuccessful. The attempted burglary occurred about 7 p.m. Sunday in the 900 block of Rivas Canyon Road. An alarm company monitoring the home reported the act, Los Angeles Police Officer Bruce Borihanh said.  "They saw the suspect via surveillance attempting to break in the house," Borihanh said. The would-be burglar did not gain entry into the home and nothing was taken, he added. No arrests were reported.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 1, 2013 | By Robert J. Lopez
Two underage boys have been arrested on suspicion of sexually assaulting a student at a Riverside County high school, authorities said Tuesday night. The boys were arrested for allegedly engaging in multiple felony sexual assault acts during the Sept. 25 attack at Eleanor Roosevelt High School in Eastvale, according to the Riverside County Sheriff's Department. The assault took place after hours on the campus at 7447 Scholar Way. "Investigators determined that this sexual assault is an isolated incident and the involved victim and suspects have been identified," authorities said in a statement.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|