Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsSexual Predator
IN THE NEWS

Sexual Predator

FEATURED ARTICLES
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 28, 2002 | From Times Staff and Wire Reports
A judge has decided that Patrick Ghilotti, the first sexual predator to complete a state-mandated treatment plan, must be reevaluated by two psychologists who declared him safe for release in 2001. Ghilotti's release has been held up by prosecutors, the state Department of Mental Health and the California Supreme Court, which in April clarified standards under which a rapist can be sent home from Atascadero State Hospital.
ARTICLES BY DATE
WORLD
February 5, 2014 | By Tom Kington
ROME - The Roman Catholic Church has "systematically" protected predator priests, allowing tens of thousands of children to be abused, a United Nations committee said Wednesday in a scathing report that cast the first shadow over Pope Francis' honeymoon period as pontiff. The panel called on the Vatican to remove all suspects from their posts immediately and to open its confidential archives "to hold abusers accountable. " "The committee is gravely concerned that the Holy See has not acknowledged the extent of the crimes committed, has not taken the necessary measures to address cases of child sexual abuse and to protect children, and has adopted policies and practices which have led to the continuation of the abuse by and the impunity of the perpetrators," the report says.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 11, 2006 | From Times Staff Reports
Police on Sunday were looking for what they described as a "brazen" sexual predator who entered three separate residences in the same neighborhood within a one-hour time span and attempted to assault three children. "This man is brazen and dangerous," Los Angeles police spokesman Lt. Paul Vernon said of the prowler who entered two bedrooms in the 8900 block of Columbus Avenue and a third in the 8600 block of Cedros Avenue beginning about 2 a.m. Saturday.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 8, 2013 | By Tony Perry
San Diego County prosecutors are attempting to keep one of the region's most infamous rapists in custody even though he has served 25 years in prison and is set for parole. At a Superior Court hearing Friday, the judge set a Dec. 19 hearing on whether Alvin Ray Quarles should be released or determined to be a "sexually violent predator" and sent to a state hospital for sex offenders until he is judged to no longer be a threat to the public. "Protecting our community from sexually violent predators is a priority for the D.A.'s office and we're working diligently to have this defendant committed to a state hospital for an indeterminate term," district attorney's spokesman Steve Walker said.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 14, 2000 | AMBER WILLARD
A convicted sexual predator recently released from prison has been arrested on suspicion of raping a woman he met on the Internet, police said Thursday. Daniel Zabuski, 39, was arrested Wednesday at his Canoga Park home and is being held in lieu of $1.2 million bail. Zabuski is scheduled to be arraigned this morning in Burbank Municipal Court. The woman, who is in her 30s, was raped March 10 in her room at the Burbank Quality Inn where she was living, police said.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 16, 1996 | DANA PARSONS
The disaster has occurred, the damage done. The question now is whether it was one of those random crimes that nobody could have prevented, or whether maybe, just maybe. . . . Not much solace either way, is there? Last week, 31-year-old Jose Arriaga was arrested for allegedly exposing himself to two girls, 8 and 9, at the Calvary Church school in Santa Ana and then engaging in "lewd and lascivious conduct" with two 7-year-olds in a playground restroom.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 10, 1995
Gov. Pete Wilson is scheduled to sign legislation today at a ceremony in Covina to keep repeat sex offenders off the streets for at least two years beyond their prison terms. Wilson will sign the two "sexual predator" bills into law in front of Covina's Police Department on Citrus Avenue next to Central Park, where 3,000 residents held a candlelight vigil last November to oppose the release of convicted serial rapist Reginald D. Muldrew.
NEWS
June 22, 1997 | KIM MURPHY, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Joseph Aqui could be in line for a "lapse." He'll be walking along with his wife, and an attractive young woman will stroll into view. He gives her no more than a glance, but Rita Aqui has been there too many times. "Joe, look the other way," she says. Indeed. That way lies madness. They don't even go to the shopping mall, a target-rich environment Aqui has likened to "a candy store." The nearby college campus, forbidden. Aqui wouldn't dream of going to a public swimming pool.
NEWS
May 10, 1990 | BARRY SIEGEL, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Ida Ballasiotes' first thought, upon hearing the criminal history of the man who'd raped and killed her daughter, came in the form of a question. What was this guy doing out of jail? she wondered. After all, the authorities had known Gene Raymond Kane was dangerous. He'd attacked two other women 13 years before, and he'd been sitting in prison ever since. He'd received no treatment during that time, mainly because a mental hospital considered him too dangerous to handle.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 19, 1996 | ANNA CEKOLA, TIMES STAFF WRITER
An appeals court has joined the debate over the constitutionality of the state's new "sexual predator" law, putting on hold several Orange County cases pending further legal review. Four convicted Orange County sex offenders who have served their prison sentences remained in custody Thursday as a legal battle over the law moved before the 4th District Court of Appeal.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 28, 2013 | By Jack Leonard
The California Supreme Court on Wednesday denied a last-ditch bid to stop the release of a serial rapist to Los Angeles County, clearing the way for Christopher Hubbart to be freed once suitable housing has been found. The justices rejected without comment Dist. Atty. Jackie Lacey's request for a new hearing on whether Hubbart, 62, should be released in Santa Clara County, where he committed his most recent crimes, rather than Los Angeles. Hubbart, who has spent nearly two decades in a state mental hospital, admitted sexually assaulting more than three dozen women throughout California between 1971 and 1982, according to the district attorney's office.
ENTERTAINMENT
June 26, 2013 | By Alexander Nazaryan
Eight years ago, a New York journalist named Peter Braunstein, then 41, forced his way into the apartment of a 34-year-old Manhattan woman by pretending to be a firefighter. He proceeded to drug the woman, a former colleague, and sexually assault her for more than 12 hours. Now, as he serves a lengthy prison sentence in upstate New York, Braunstein is apparently upset that corrections officials there are not allowing him to read Jaycee Dugard's “A Stolen Life,” the 2011 memoir of a young woman's kidnapping and 18-year imprisonment by a California couple, Phillip and Nancy Garrido, which ended in 2009.
SPORTS
April 10, 2013 | By Houston Mitchell
Sue Paterno, the widow of Joe Paterno, says she and her husband were ignorant about sexual predators like Jerry Sandusky. "We were among those who were ignorant of the magnitude of the problem," Sue Paterno said Wednesday at a Child Abuse Prevention Month breakfast sponsored by the Pennsylvania Family Support Alliance in Harrisburg, Pa. The Paternos' son, Jay Paterno, also spoke, saying, "I worked with Jerry Sandusky for several years....
NEWS
January 3, 2013 | By Joseph Serna
The scenario starts out horrifyingly enough. A man enters a darkened bedroom of a woman after seeing her boyfriend leave late at night. He pretends to be her boyfriend. Before she's aware of what's happening, he's having sex with her. Was she raped? The equally horrifying answer: no. In a conviction reversal that might inspire some California lawmaker to take up this mantle and change the state's penal code, a Los Angeles man's rape conviction was overturned this week on that simple fact; the man pretended to be the woman's boyfriend, not her husband.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 27, 2012 | By Jason Felch, Los Angeles Times
The Boy Scouts of America has announced it will review more than a half-century of its confidential files on alleged sexual predators and will inform law enforcement of any cases it had not previously disclosed. The unprecedented review will examine about 5,000 cases dating from the 1950s to the present in which Scouting employees or volunteers were suspected of molesting children and were expelled from the organization, officials said. The announcement came nine days after The Times published an investigation that found Scouting officials did not report to police hundreds of cases of alleged sexual abuse between 1970 and 1991, allowing many suspected predators to resign quietly or under false pretenses.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 12, 2012 | By Steve Chawkins, Los Angeles Times
A teenage girl who was in a sexual relationship with a Santa Maria police officer has sued the city over alleged negligence in operating a Police Department youth program. The girl — known in the federal lawsuit as Jane Doe — was 17 when she was involved with Albert Covarrubias Jr., an officer who was fatally shot Jan. 29 as other members of the Santa Maria department tried to arrest him on suspicion of sex crimes. The suit, which seeks unspecified damages, accuses the city of failing to properly run the police Explorers program, in which the girl participated.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 4, 1996 | ANNA CEKOLA, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Armed with the state's new "sexual predator" law, Orange County prosecutors are battling to keep two convicted child molesters who have served prison sentences from returning home this month. Prosecutors contend that both men are still dangerous, and argued this week that both should be committed to state mental hospitals under the law, which already faces legal challenges in other counties.
NEWS
December 16, 1991 | MICHAEL McCARTHY, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES
By the time he was 22, Vance Cunningham had been convicted of raping three women and sexually threatening a fourth. So when he was released from a Washington state prison in August, 1990, prosecutors didn't wait for Cunningham to possibly strike again. Instead, they used the state's Sexually Violent Predator statute, which was designed to keep dangerous rapists and child molesters who have finished their prison terms off the street.
NATIONAL
June 23, 2012 | By Laura J. Nelson
On the steps of the courthouse where a jury convicted Jerry Sandusky of sexually abusing young boys, Pennsylvania Atty.  Gen. Linda Kelly thanked the victims who faced a packed courthouse -- and  their attacker - to tell their stories. “The victims… have shown great strength and courage, candidly and sometimes chillingly telling their stories,” Kelly said. “Not only to the jury in a packed courtroom… but also to the entire world.” After 21 hours of deliberation at the Centre County Courthouse in Bellefonte, Pa., a jury of seven women and five men on Friday night convicted the former Penn State coach of 45 charges related to the sexual assault of 10 boys over a 15-year period.
SPORTS
November 8, 2011 | By David Zucchino
Reporting from State College, Pa. — A sense of betrayal and disgust seems to have washed over the normally tranquil, tree-lined campus of Penn State University. A child-sex abuse scandal has badly bruised pride in the school and its hallowed football program. The fact that university officials apparently failed to report an alleged sexual predator to outside authorities has been even more incomprehensible. On Tuesday, amid the rolling hills of central Pennsylvania, in a place often referred to as Happy Valley, outraged students were speaking out in harsh appraisals of their leaders.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|