Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsShooting Los Angeles County
IN THE NEWS

Shooting Los Angeles County

FEATURED ARTICLES
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 26, 1993
A South Bay criminal defense lawyer Wednesday was found guilty of murder in the shooting death of his girlfriend, who witnesses said had pleaded for her life before she was shot. A Compton Superior Court jury agreed with prosecution assertions that James Vincent Robelen, 55, killed his girlfriend and paralegal, Pamela Puzach, 44, after an argument on Jan. 26, 1992, in her Torrance apartment. Robelen faces a maximum sentence of 30 years to life in prison when he is sentenced Sept.
ARTICLES BY DATE
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 26, 1993
A South Bay criminal defense lawyer Wednesday was found guilty of murder in the shooting death of his girlfriend, who witnesses said had pleaded for her life before she was shot. A Compton Superior Court jury agreed with prosecution assertions that James Vincent Robelen, 55, killed his girlfriend and paralegal, Pamela Puzach, 44, after an argument on Jan. 26, 1992, in her Torrance apartment. Robelen faces a maximum sentence of 30 years to life in prison when he is sentenced Sept.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 30, 1993 | ANTHONY MILLICAN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
After a shooting at Columbia Regional Park last weekend, Torrance officials have taken the unusual step of closing the park's basketball court and removing the hoops. Homeowners near the park have long complained about "non-residents" using the court and causing trouble. But local basketball players, many of them Torrance residents, are criticizing the move, saying that curbing recreation is not the way to fight crime.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 30, 1993 | ANTHONY MILLICAN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
After a shooting at Columbia Regional Park last weekend, Torrance officials have taken the unusual step of closing the park's basketball court and removing the hoops. Homeowners near the park have long complained about "non-residents" using the court and causing trouble. But local basketball players, many of them Torrance residents, are criticizing the move, saying that curbing recreation is not the way to fight crime.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 14, 1990 | GEORGE HATCH, TIMES STAFF WRITER
An Inglewood man killed his 4-year-old son, apparently accidentally, while showing off his revolver to the boy and another son, authorities said Saturday. Jesus Zubia, 24, told Inglewood police he shot his son at their home about 7 p.m. Friday after he pulled the trigger repeatedly, thinking the weapon was unloaded. But the gun fired once, striking the 4-year-old in the head, Sgt. Ed Eccles said. The boy, whose name was not released, died at Martin Luther King Jr.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 7, 2004 | From Times Staff Reports
A jewelry store owner shot an intruder to death during an attempted robbery Tuesday, authorities said. The owner opened fire after three armed men entered the store in the 200 block of East Sepulveda Boulevard about 4:45 p.m., demanded jewels and cash, and started shooting, Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies said. The intruders fled, apparently empty-handed, and the one who had been shot collapsed and died in a nearby market.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 17, 1992 | JULIE TAMAKI
Authorities on Wednesday released the identity of a Lancaster man who was fatally shot after an argument with his roommate. Los Angeles County coroner's spokesman Scott Carrier said the man, Mark Hayes, 45, died Tuesday at Antelope Valley Hospital. Hayes' roommate, Stanley Gordon, 49, was arrested on suspicion of murder in connection with the shooting, Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies said.
NEWS
August 5, 2008
Lennox shooting: In the July 25 California section, a photograph of Lennox resident Christian Portillo, which accompanied a story about his fatal shooting by Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies, was credited to Times photographer Al Seib. The photo was provided by Portillo's family.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 2, 2009 | Jason Song
A 16-year-old boy died Sunday in an apparent gang-related shooting, a Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department spokesman said. Deputies discovered Jason Ledesma around 3 p.m. in the 17900 block of East Valley Boulevard, said Deputy Richard Li. Ledesma had been shot several times, and deputies determined the incident was gang-related, Li said. Ledesma died at the scene, authorities said.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 23, 1990
Three men were found dead Thursday in a house in Paramount in an apparently drug-related shooting, Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies said. Officers responded to a call of shots being fired at a residence in the 15000 block of San Jose Avenue and found three men shot to death in a bedroom, Deputy Rafael Estrada said. The unidentified men lived at the house, he said. Deputies found nearly nine pounds of cocaine and a .38-caliber automatic pistol.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 14, 1990 | GEORGE HATCH, TIMES STAFF WRITER
An Inglewood man killed his 4-year-old son, apparently accidentally, while showing off his revolver to the boy and another son, authorities said Saturday. Jesus Zubia, 24, told Inglewood police he shot his son at their home about 7 p.m. Friday after he pulled the trigger repeatedly, thinking the weapon was unloaded. But the gun fired once, striking the 4-year-old in the head, Sgt. Ed Eccles said. The boy, whose name was not released, died at Martin Luther King Jr.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 19, 2004 | From Times Staff Reports
A suspect in the fatal shooting of Los Angeles County Police Capt. Michael Sparkes was arrested Wednesday. Miguel Migallon, 21, faces charges of murder and attempted robbery. Officials had delayed booking Migallon while he was being treated for a wound police say was inflicted in a gun battle in which Sparkes was killed. A second suspect, Orvis Camilo Anthony, 19, of Gardena was arrested earlier and pleaded not guilty in the killing.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 23, 2001
A 21-year-old gang member was sentenced Friday to life in prison without parole for the drive-by shooting death of a 10-month-old girl last year in Compton, court officials said. Jesse Michael Sosa of Long Beach was convicted March 19 of the first-degree murder of Kylah Witrago. The jury found that the baby was intentionally killed for racial reasons because of ethnic epithets yelled from the car just before the deadly shots rang out.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|