Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsShootings Australia
IN THE NEWS

Shootings Australia

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
August 27, 1997 | JEFF BRAZIL and STEVE BERRY, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
Nicole Burgess has been gone 16 months now. And how her parents, John and Sue, miss their girl who, even at 17, wouldn't go to sleep without a kiss from Dad. And how they wish Nicole wasn't a symbol, instead of just a winsome teenager who loved horses and adored her kid sister. Instead, Nicole's life or, more precisely, her death helped bring a revolutionary change in Australia's gun law. Nicole Burgess was one of 35 people who lost their lives in a spray of assault weapon bullets.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
August 27, 1997 | JEFF BRAZIL and STEVE BERRY, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
Nicole Burgess has been gone 16 months now. And how her parents, John and Sue, miss their girl who, even at 17, wouldn't go to sleep without a kiss from Dad. And how they wish Nicole wasn't a symbol, instead of just a winsome teenager who loved horses and adored her kid sister. Instead, Nicole's life or, more precisely, her death helped bring a revolutionary change in Australia's gun law. Nicole Burgess was one of 35 people who lost their lives in a spray of assault weapon bullets.
Advertisement
NEWS
November 28, 1988
A teen-ager was wounded as hundreds of ethnic Croatians demanding a homeland demonstrated outside the Yugoslav Consulate in Sydney, Australia. The 13-year-old victim, hit in the neck and throat, was listed in satisfactory condition. It is unclear whether the shots came from inside or outside the consulate. The incident occurred as 1,500 protesters demanding a Croatian homeland in Yugoslavia marked National Day, the anniversary of the Communist government in Belgrade.
NEWS
April 29, 1996 | From Associated Press
A gunman who slaughtered at least 32 people at a busy tourist site was captured today after he bolted in flames from an inn he set ablaze with three hostages inside. The gunman, whom police identified as a 29-year-old Australian with a history of psychological problems, had opened fire with a semiautomatic rifle Sunday afternoon on tourists at a colonial prison site on the island of Tasmania. It was the worst shooting massacre in Australia this century.
NEWS
April 29, 1996 | From Associated Press
A gunman who slaughtered at least 32 people at a busy tourist site was captured today after he bolted in flames from an inn he set ablaze with three hostages inside. The gunman, whom police identified as a 29-year-old Australian with a history of psychological problems, had opened fire with a semiautomatic rifle Sunday afternoon on tourists at a colonial prison site on the island of Tasmania. It was the worst shooting massacre in Australia this century.
NEWS
July 30, 1990 | Associated Press
The first person ever charged under Australia's war crimes legislation, a 74-year-old retired man, was shot and wounded Sunday night, the eve of his trial. Two passersby found Ivan Timofeyevich Polyukhovich near his home in Adelaide's western suburbs. He was tentatively listed in stable condition. Polyukhovich has been charged with 24 counts of murder and with involvement in the deaths of 850 other people in the Ukraine during World War II. His trial had been due to begin today.
NEWS
January 27, 1994 | From Reuters
A student upset about the plight of Cambodian boat people charged a stage where Britain's Prince Charles was about to speak Wednesday night and fired two shots from a starter's pistol loaded with blanks before he was subdued. Police said they apprehended David Kang, 23, an Australian-born university student of Korean ancestry. Kang, who was to appear in court today, faces a 20-year sentence.
NEWS
January 27, 1994 | From Reuters
A student upset about the plight of Cambodian boat people charged a stage where Britain's Prince Charles was about to speak Wednesday night and fired two shots from a starter's pistol loaded with blanks before he was subdued. Police said they apprehended David Kang, 23, an Australian-born university student of Korean ancestry. Kang, who was to appear in court today, faces a 20-year sentence.
NEWS
July 30, 1990 | Associated Press
The first person ever charged under Australia's war crimes legislation, a 74-year-old retired man, was shot and wounded Sunday night, the eve of his trial. Two passersby found Ivan Timofeyevich Polyukhovich near his home in Adelaide's western suburbs. He was tentatively listed in stable condition. Polyukhovich has been charged with 24 counts of murder and with involvement in the deaths of 850 other people in the Ukraine during World War II. His trial had been due to begin today.
NEWS
November 28, 1988
A teen-ager was wounded as hundreds of ethnic Croatians demanding a homeland demonstrated outside the Yugoslav Consulate in Sydney, Australia. The 13-year-old victim, hit in the neck and throat, was listed in satisfactory condition. It is unclear whether the shots came from inside or outside the consulate. The incident occurred as 1,500 protesters demanding a Croatian homeland in Yugoslavia marked National Day, the anniversary of the Communist government in Belgrade.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|