February 21, 2014 |
A listeria outbreak linked to cheese has killed one person in California and sickened seven in Maryland, including three newborns. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Friday that the outbreak is linked to semi-soft, Latino-style cheese called Caujada en Terron that is sold from a chain of grocery stores in Maryland. The cheese was made by Roos Foods of Kenton, Del. The Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene issued a warning Wednesday to avoid products made by Roos Foods, which also sells cheese under the brand names Santa Rosa de Lima, Amigo, Mexicana, Suyapa, La Chapina, and La Purisima Crema Nica. The CDC did not name the grocery chain linked to the outbreak.
January 29, 2014 |
BAYONNE, N.J. - At first he thought it was the fish. Maurice Weizmann, a Montreal businessman on a Royal Caribbean cruise with his wife, started vomiting on the second night of the 10-day voyage after eating dinner and watching a show on the ship Explorer of the Seas. His wife did too. Soon they learned the reality: They were only two of hundreds of passengers sickened by an as-yet unidentified gastrointestinal illness that shortened their cruise by two days and created a floating sick bay on the high seas.
January 9, 2014 |
The cockroach infestation that closed a Foster Farms chicken plant in Central California was the latest setback for the giant poultry company, which last year faced a salmonella outbreak that sickened more than 400 people. The U.S. Department of Agriculture suspended operations Wednesday at a Foster Farms plant in Livingston, southeast of Modesto, and the 250,000-square-foot plant remained closed Thursday as the poultry giant tried to remedy the problem. Several food safety experts said they were surprised that cockroaches prompted the USDA's Food Safety and Inspection Service to take action when it had failed to do so after last year's salmonella outbreak.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 7, 2014 |
The Los Angeles city attorney filed a lawsuit Tuesday to stop Allenco Energy Inc. from reopening in South Los Angeles, accusing the company of ignoring years of evidence that fumes from its oil fields were sickening residents of the surrounding neighborhood. City Atty. Mike Feuer's investigation found that Allenco willfully disregarded violation notices issued by oversight agencies and that regulators did not move forcefully to enforce their numerous and repeated citations. As a result of lax practices, Allenco exposed University Park neighbors "to noxious fumes and odors which have resulted in adverse health effects on community members in the form of severe headaches, nausea, nosebleeds, chronic fatigue and respiratory ailments including asthma," says the complaint, filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 9, 2013 |
Nearly 50 people in Monrovia complained of dizziness and other symptoms Monday after a manufacturing company mixed three chemicals that became super-heated and were released into the air. City officials have since cleared the scene at Air Logistics, where, they said, about 200 people were potentially exposed to the sickening mixture of cycloaliphathic resin, boron trifluoride and ancamine. In all, 45 people showed symptoms, including dizziness, chest pains, nausea and vomiting from inhaling the gas. Eleven people were hospitalized, including two who needed immediate medical attention.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 19, 2013 |
This post has been corrected. See the note at the bottom for details. An illness that caused flu-like symptoms among roughly 20 students at an elementary school in Watts last week has spread to another school, sickening about 10 others, Los Angeles Unified officials said. At least eight students Monday at Dolores Huerta Elementary School in South Los Angeles reported symptoms that included upset stomach, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea around 12:50 p.m. That episode came after about 20 students at Ritter Elementary School in Watts also fell ill with flu-like symptoms on Friday.