YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsSirhan Sirhan

Sirhan Sirhan

December 2, 1994 | Associated Press
A parole board Thursday rejected Sirhan Sirhan's ninth attempt to be freed from a life sentence for assassinating Robert F. Kennedy more than a quarter-century ago. The panel said Sirhan's parole can be reconsidered in two years. He was present at Thursday's procedure, unlike his last hearing in 1992, which he refused to attend because guards ordered him shackled with a waist restraint.
Even after a quarter century, the entry in Sirhan Sirhan's notebook has lost none of its chill. "My determination to eliminate RFK is becoming more the more (sic) of an unshakable obsession," he wrote in a manic torrent. "RFK must die. RFK must be killed. Robert F. Kennedy must be assassinated. . . . Robert F. Kennedy must be assassinated before 5 June 1968." At 12:15 a.m. on that date, Sirhan, a Jordanian Arab, carried out his threat.
August 5, 1992
Sirhan Sirhan, convicted of killing Robert F. Kennedy in Los Angeles 24 years ago, was denied parole Tuesday. The state Parole Board voted unanimously not to release the 48-year-old Palestinian, who had been up for parole seven times before. He did not attend the hearing because he refused to wear wrist chains. Sirhan is serving a life sentence at Corcoran State Prison for shooting the New York senator at the Ambassador Hotel on June 5, 1968.
June 27, 1990 | From Times Staff and Wire Reports
Sirhan B. Sirhan, who shot Sen. Robert F. Kennedy to death 22 years ago, was denied freedom for the 13th time by a parole board that disregarded a Middle Eastern petition pleading for his release. After a hearing of more than five hours at Soledad State Prison, Sirhan was told his next parole hearing would be in 1992.
June 26, 1990 | From Associated Press
A petition signed by educators and government officials in the Middle East has been sent to a parole board to urge the release from prison of convicted assassin Sirhan B. Sirhan, his Los Angeles attorney said Monday. The lawyer, Luke McKissack, said the petition was the result of two trips he made recently to the Middle East to seek support for Sirhan's parole. The petition suggested Sirhan's release could speed peace in the Middle East. Sirhan, 46, was convicted of gunning down Sen. Robert F.
Grant B. Cooper, a prominent Los Angeles trial lawyer for more than six decades, whose clients included Sirhan B. Sirhan and Dr. R. Bernard Finch, has died. He was 87. Cooper died last Thursday of an aortic aneurysm at the Hospital of the Good Samaritan, his wife, Phyllis, said Tuesday. She said he had continued to practice law from their home until the day he died.
July 5, 1989 | JILL STEWART, Times Staff Writer
Long Beach attorney George Shibley--who gained national prominence as a defender of several young Latinos in the racially tinged 1940s Sleepy Lagoon murder case and decades later as lawyer for Sirhan Sirhan--died Tuesday at age 79. Shibley's family said he died at Good Samaritan Hospital in Los Angeles after suffering cardiac arrest June 8 after heart surgery.
June 1, 1989 | DOUG SMITH
On the night of June 4, 1968, Detective Frank J. Patchett was at home with his family. But it was not an evening destined for tranquillity. Shortly after midnight the phone rang. Sen. Robert F. Kennedy had been shot at the Ambassador Hotel. Patchett, then assigned to burglary at the Wilshire Station, was needed. He headed toward the Ambassador but on the way considered the trouble he would have getting through traffic in the family car. He stopped by the station to pick up a police car. "When I got there, they had Sirhan in custody," Patchett said.
May 24, 1989
Sirhan Sirhan, serving a life term for assassinating Sen. Robert F. Kennedy, was denied parole after a hearing in which he expressed remorse for the slaying and said 21 years in prison was "plenty of punishment." The state Board of Prison terms said Sirhan, 45, was unsuitable for parole and called Kennedy's murder one of the most shocking crimes in U.S. history. Sirhan told the three-member panel: "I feel very sad, very sorry, very remorseful that a human life was taken. After 21 years, I have become quite convinced that my act was very wrong.
May 4, 1989 | From Times wire services
Former California Atty. Gen. Evelle Younger, who as a tough district attorney oversaw the prosecution of Charles Manson and Robert F. Kennedy assassin Sirhan Sirhan, was found dead in his Hollywood Hills home today. He was 70. Police were called to Younger's home on Thrasher Avenue at 8:30 a.m. and officers found him dead of what appeared to be natural causes, Officer Bill Frio said. Younger's wife, Mildred, and son, Superior Court Judge Eric Younger, were at home when he died.
Los Angeles Times Articles