Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsSkydance Productions
IN THE NEWS

Skydance Productions

FEATURED ARTICLES
ENTERTAINMENT
August 20, 2012 | By Ben Fritz
Director Tony Scott, who authorities said died Sunday after jumping off a bridge, had been set to direct a sequel to the movie that made him famous, "Top Gun," as his next project. Paramount Pictures and Skydance Productions had hoped to start production on the follow-up to the 1986 naval air combat classic early next year and release it as a high-profile tentpole in 2014. It was one of the highest-priority pictures in development for both companies. The original "Top Gun," which grossed a then-spectacular $354 million worldwide, immediately turned Scott from a respected British commercial director just beginning his filmmaking career into a Hollywood A-lister (following in the footsteps of his older brother Ridley, who had already directed "Alien" and "Blade Runner")
ARTICLES BY DATE
ENTERTAINMENT
June 28, 2013 | By Chris Lee
Insert “I'll be back” joke here. With Paramount reviving the blockbuster “Terminator” movie series (through a partnership with Annapurna Pictures and Skydance Productions) to deliver a new stand-alone trilogy of killer-cyborg-from-the-future films beginning in June 2015, Hollywood watchers and fans of the franchise have remained fixated on a blast from the past: Will Arnold Schwarzenegger return to reprise his role as an unstoppable T-800 in the new movies? To be sure, the former Governator attached himself to a previous “Terminator” reboot two years ago with “Fast & Furious 6” filmmaker Justin Lin in the director's chair.
Advertisement
ENTERTAINMENT
August 20, 2012 | By Steven Zeitchik
When filmmaker Tony Scott took his own life Sunday, he left behind a long resume of Hollywood hits. But film fans will get a chance to watch his legacy continue on the big screen with a pair of new movies next year. Scott was a producer on "Out of the Furnace," a dark thriller starring Christian Bale that recently wrapped production. Though a person involved with the movie who asked not to be identified said Scott was not involved in the day-to-day production of the film, he was overseeing it as a partner in Scott Free Productions, the company he ran with his brother Ridley Scott, which had a producer on set. The movie, which is set to be released by Relativity Media next year, has been a hot project in Hollywood ever since it was sold as "The Low Dweller" four years ago. It centers on a fugitive with a dark past on the run in an Indiana town, and has attracted comparisons to "No Country for Old Men. " Leonardo DiCaprio's company Appian Way is also producing it. (Scott's next movie as a director, incidentally, was set to be "Top Gun 2," a long-awaited sequel to the 1986 classic that would have reteamed him with star Tom Cruise and producer Jerry Bruckheimer.
ENTERTAINMENT
May 20, 2013 | By Glenn Whipp, Los Angeles Times
"Star Trek Into Darkness" opened atop the U.S. box office, though its debut didn't quite make the jump to warp speed that Paramount Pictures executives expected. "Into Darkness," the second J.J. Abrams-directed installment in the long-running science-fiction franchise, took in $70.6 million over the weekend, according to studio estimates, bringing its total take to $84.1 million. The movie launched Wednesday in 336 Imax locations before opening wide Thursday. The overall total, while healthy, was $16 million less than what Paramount, which co-financed the $190-million-budgeted film with Skydance Productions, had forecast.
BUSINESS
May 18, 2012 | By Ben Fritz and Steven Zeitchik, Los Angeles Times
She's a 26-year-old former party girl with social anxiety issues, a motorcycle-riding iconoclast who dropped out of USC and attends meetings in Led Zeppelin T-shirts. Megan Ellison is also the most powerful new producer in Hollywood, running a burgeoning movie company from her $33-million compound in the hills above the Sunset Strip - and giving a critical boost to the kinds of adult dramas the major studios have all but abandoned. Hollywood has long attracted wealthy, star-struck investors who don't appreciate the difficulty (or "complexity")
ENTERTAINMENT
December 18, 2012 | By Amy Kaufman
In "The Guilt Trip," Barbra Streisand has her first starring role in 16 years. But the "Funny Girl" celeb won't be laughing at the box office receipts for her new film, which is set to sell far fewer tickets this weekend than a 3-D rerelease of 2001's animated "Monsters, Inc. " Both movies are hitting theaters Wednesday in an effort to build positive word-of-mouth among moviegoers before a crowded weekend at the multiplex. On Friday, the Tom Cruise sniper flick "Jack Reacher," Judd Apatow comedy "This Is 40" and event film "Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away" will join the mix. By Sunday, the "Monsters, Inc. " rerelease is expected to collect about $20 million, according to those who have seen prerelease audience surveys.
ENTERTAINMENT
January 3, 2011 | By Ben Fritz, Los Angeles Times
The 2010 holidays brought big-budget action movies, 3-D family adventures and star-driven comedies, but the season's only undisputed hit is an old-fashioned, guns-blazing western. "True Grit" sold a studio-estimated $24.5-million worth of tickets in the U.S. and Canada on its second weekend, just short of the $26.3 million taken in by the more expensive and hyped "Little Fockers. " The last week was one of the most critical of the year at the box office, even though no new movies opened.
ENTERTAINMENT
June 28, 2013 | By Chris Lee
Insert “I'll be back” joke here. With Paramount reviving the blockbuster “Terminator” movie series (through a partnership with Annapurna Pictures and Skydance Productions) to deliver a new stand-alone trilogy of killer-cyborg-from-the-future films beginning in June 2015, Hollywood watchers and fans of the franchise have remained fixated on a blast from the past: Will Arnold Schwarzenegger return to reprise his role as an unstoppable T-800 in the new movies? To be sure, the former Governator attached himself to a previous “Terminator” reboot two years ago with “Fast & Furious 6” filmmaker Justin Lin in the director's chair.
ENTERTAINMENT
August 21, 2012 | By Ben Fritz and Steven Zeitchik, Los Angeles Times
As one of the most prolific directors in Hollywood, Tony Scott's death leaves a quartet of high-priority projects in limbo. Among them was the anticipated sequel to the 1986 blockbuster "Top Gun" that became a cultural touchstone and launched Scott's Hollywood career. It had taken years to get the movie even close to being made due to the complexities of reuniting Scott with star Tom Cruise and producer Jerry Bruckheimer on a concept all three would endorse. The picture was to focus on the world of drones in modern aerial combat.
ENTERTAINMENT
December 20, 2012 | By Amy Kaufman
On Wednesday, three Senate leaders condemned Kathryn Bigelow's "Zero Dark Thirty" for its "grossly inaccurate" portrayal of the events leading to the killing of Osama Bin Laden. But the controversy only seemed to make the well-reviewed picture even more appealing to moviegoers, who showed up in droves at theaters in New York and Los Angeles on the same day Sens. Dianne Feinstein, Carl Levin  and John McCain publicly bashed the movie. Sony Pictures opened the CIA drama in five theaters Wednesday, collecting $124,828, according to the studio's estimate.
ENTERTAINMENT
December 23, 2012 | By Amy Kaufman
It was a ho-ho-ho-hum weekend at the box office, as five new releases failed to draw moviegoers to the multiplex in droves. "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" was the No. 1 film for the second consecutive weekend, collecting an additional $36.7 million, according to an estimate from Warner Bros. The film -- which has now grossed $149.9 million in North America -- saw its ticket sales fall 57% from its opening weekend -- an average drop for a big-budget tent pole. Of the new releases, Tom Cruise's action flick "Jack Reacher" fared best -- though its $15.6-million debut was still soft.
ENTERTAINMENT
December 20, 2012 | By Amy Kaufman
On Wednesday, three Senate leaders condemned Kathryn Bigelow's "Zero Dark Thirty" for its "grossly inaccurate" portrayal of the events leading to the killing of Osama Bin Laden. But the controversy only seemed to make the well-reviewed picture even more appealing to moviegoers, who showed up in droves at theaters in New York and Los Angeles on the same day Sens. Dianne Feinstein, Carl Levin  and John McCain publicly bashed the movie. Sony Pictures opened the CIA drama in five theaters Wednesday, collecting $124,828, according to the studio's estimate.
ENTERTAINMENT
December 18, 2012 | By Amy Kaufman
In "The Guilt Trip," Barbra Streisand has her first starring role in 16 years. But the "Funny Girl" celeb won't be laughing at the box office receipts for her new film, which is set to sell far fewer tickets this weekend than a 3-D rerelease of 2001's animated "Monsters, Inc. " Both movies are hitting theaters Wednesday in an effort to build positive word-of-mouth among moviegoers before a crowded weekend at the multiplex. On Friday, the Tom Cruise sniper flick "Jack Reacher," Judd Apatow comedy "This Is 40" and event film "Cirque du Soleil: Worlds Away" will join the mix. By Sunday, the "Monsters, Inc. " rerelease is expected to collect about $20 million, according to those who have seen prerelease audience surveys.
ENTERTAINMENT
August 21, 2012 | By Ben Fritz and Steven Zeitchik, Los Angeles Times
As one of the most prolific directors in Hollywood, Tony Scott's death leaves a quartet of high-priority projects in limbo. Among them was the anticipated sequel to the 1986 blockbuster "Top Gun" that became a cultural touchstone and launched Scott's Hollywood career. It had taken years to get the movie even close to being made due to the complexities of reuniting Scott with star Tom Cruise and producer Jerry Bruckheimer on a concept all three would endorse. The picture was to focus on the world of drones in modern aerial combat.
ENTERTAINMENT
August 20, 2012 | By Steven Zeitchik
When filmmaker Tony Scott took his own life Sunday, he left behind a long resume of Hollywood hits. But film fans will get a chance to watch his legacy continue on the big screen with a pair of new movies next year. Scott was a producer on "Out of the Furnace," a dark thriller starring Christian Bale that recently wrapped production. Though a person involved with the movie who asked not to be identified said Scott was not involved in the day-to-day production of the film, he was overseeing it as a partner in Scott Free Productions, the company he ran with his brother Ridley Scott, which had a producer on set. The movie, which is set to be released by Relativity Media next year, has been a hot project in Hollywood ever since it was sold as "The Low Dweller" four years ago. It centers on a fugitive with a dark past on the run in an Indiana town, and has attracted comparisons to "No Country for Old Men. " Leonardo DiCaprio's company Appian Way is also producing it. (Scott's next movie as a director, incidentally, was set to be "Top Gun 2," a long-awaited sequel to the 1986 classic that would have reteamed him with star Tom Cruise and producer Jerry Bruckheimer.
ENTERTAINMENT
August 20, 2012 | By Ben Fritz
Director Tony Scott, who authorities said died Sunday after jumping off a bridge, had been set to direct a sequel to the movie that made him famous, "Top Gun," as his next project. Paramount Pictures and Skydance Productions had hoped to start production on the follow-up to the 1986 naval air combat classic early next year and release it as a high-profile tentpole in 2014. It was one of the highest-priority pictures in development for both companies. The original "Top Gun," which grossed a then-spectacular $354 million worldwide, immediately turned Scott from a respected British commercial director just beginning his filmmaking career into a Hollywood A-lister (following in the footsteps of his older brother Ridley, who had already directed "Alien" and "Blade Runner")
ENTERTAINMENT
May 20, 2013 | By Glenn Whipp, Los Angeles Times
"Star Trek Into Darkness" opened atop the U.S. box office, though its debut didn't quite make the jump to warp speed that Paramount Pictures executives expected. "Into Darkness," the second J.J. Abrams-directed installment in the long-running science-fiction franchise, took in $70.6 million over the weekend, according to studio estimates, bringing its total take to $84.1 million. The movie launched Wednesday in 336 Imax locations before opening wide Thursday. The overall total, while healthy, was $16 million less than what Paramount, which co-financed the $190-million-budgeted film with Skydance Productions, had forecast.
BUSINESS
May 18, 2012 | By Ben Fritz and Steven Zeitchik, Los Angeles Times
She's a 26-year-old former party girl with social anxiety issues, a motorcycle-riding iconoclast who dropped out of USC and attends meetings in Led Zeppelin T-shirts. Megan Ellison is also the most powerful new producer in Hollywood, running a burgeoning movie company from her $33-million compound in the hills above the Sunset Strip - and giving a critical boost to the kinds of adult dramas the major studios have all but abandoned. Hollywood has long attracted wealthy, star-struck investors who don't appreciate the difficulty (or "complexity")
ENTERTAINMENT
January 10, 2011 | By Ben Fritz, Los Angeles Times
On the first box-office weekend of 2011, it was all about which holiday movie had the most staying power. That turned out to be the Coen brothers' western "True Grit," which after two weeks of nipping at the heels of "Little Fockers," surpassed it to become the No. 1 movie in the U.S. and Canada with a studio-estimated $15 million in ticket sales. "Fockers" was close behind with $13.8 million, down 47% on its third weekend. Two additional movies, the Nicolas Cage historical action tale "Season of the Witch" and the Gwyneth Paltrow music drama "Country Strong," failed to make much of an impact, with just $10.7 million and $7.3 million, respectively.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|