Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsSlander
IN THE NEWS

Slander

FEATURED ARTICLES
WORLD
July 12, 2010 | By Kim Willsher, Los Angeles Times
French President Nicolas Sarkozy went on television Monday night in his latest effort to dismiss as "slander and lies" a series of accusations of corruption and cronyism in his administration. In what was seen by political commentators here as the most important public declaration of his presidency so far, Sarkozy bullishly denied receiving an illegal campaign contribution from France's richest woman, L'Oreal heiress Liliane Bettencourt. The president's popularity has sunk to a historic low after allegations that he received money stuffed in an envelope from the billionaire.
ARTICLES BY DATE
WORLD
January 16, 2014 | By Carol J. Williams
As the Lunar New Year and annual U.S.-South Korea war games approach, North Korea's erratic leader has issued both an appeal for a moratorium on "slander" between the Korean governments and a warning that the military exercises could provoke "unimaginable holocaust. " North Korean leader Kim Jong Un last year threatened to wage nuclear war against the South and its U.S. backers over the exercises, sharpening tensions in the region with a declaration that Pyongyang was no longer bound by the 60-year-old truce that ended fighting in the Korean War. Though Kim's government never followed through on its threats to target the U.S. mainland with nuclear missiles, Washington and its East Asian allies remain concerned and vigilant regarding North Korea.
Advertisement
ENTERTAINMENT
December 18, 2002 | Louise Roug, Times Staff Writer
Rep. Gary Condit (D-Ceres) has sued Dominick Dunne for $11 million, alleging that the writer slandered him in connection with the disappearance of Washington intern Chandra Levy. Dunne "made false and defamatory statements, accusing [Condit] of involvement in the crimes of kidnapping and murder," according to the lawsuit, filed in federal court in Manhattan on Monday.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 12, 2012 | By Ashley Powers, Los Angeles Times
In 2010, "Girls Gone Wild" founder Joe Francis first accused casino mogul Steve Wynn of threatening to kill him and bury him in the desert. That accusation, which Francis repeated publicly at least twice more, could end up costing him $40 million. A Los Angeles jury this week awarded Wynn that amount in his slander suit against Francis, an outcome Wynn lauded as a strike against an "unbelievably reckless human being. " "Thank God for the justice system that finally sent a message: If you think you're taking a cheap shot, it may be a lot more expensive than you had imagined," Wynn said Tuesday in a statement.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 10, 2012 | By Harriet Ryan, Los Angeles Times
A Los Angeles jury awarded casino mogul Steve Wynn $20 million Monday in his slander suit against "Girls Gone Wild" founder Joe Francis - a sum 10 times the gambling debt that sparked the dispute. The L.A. County Superior Court jury found that Francis knowingly made false statements when he told reporters and others that Wynn threatened to kill him and bury his body in the desert over a $2-million bill he ran up during a multi-day gambling spree in 2007. "He told lies. He used the media to get it out there," said Wynn's lead lawyer, Barry Langberg, in lauding the verdict.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 16, 1996 | BILL BILLITER
William E. Baker Jr., a City Council candidate who finished third in the Nov. 5 race for two open seats, has filed a slander lawsuit related to the election. In his lawsuit, Baker accuses two Villa Park residents, Marilyn Johnson and Sherry Zakowicz, of saying untruthfully he had been disbarred or suspended from his law practice.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 11, 1994 | ERIC MALNIC and JIM NEWTON, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
A judge has thrown out a $30-million slander suit filed by a former Los Angeles police lieutenant against former Police Chief Daryl F. Gates and the city over remarks Gates made about the lieutenant's conduct at one of the flash points of the 1992 riots, the city attorney's office said Monday.
NEWS
January 14, 1991 | From Times Staff and Wire Reports
Criminal slander charges against defeated presidential candidate Stanislaw Tyminski were dropped at the request of Poland's former prime minister, the man he accused of treason, the official PAP news agency said. Tyminski threw the November presidential election campaign into turmoil by accusing Tadeusz Mazowiecki, then prime minister, of betraying the country by selling Polish companies to foreigners at cheap prices.
NEWS
March 25, 1997
A Los Angeles Superior Court judge ruled Monday that former Hollywood madam Heidi Fleiss must disclose her finances to two police officers who have filed a slander suit against her. Officers Patricia Corso and Samuel Lee II contend that Fleiss went on a radio program and made false statements about them, including remarks of a sexual nature. Lee's father, a coach of the U.S.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 21, 1991
A suit by a conductor who alleged he was slandered by former members of his orchestra was dismissed Friday in Orange County Superior Court when, for the second time, the conductor and his attorney failed to appear for a hearing. Mozart Camerata Music Director Ami Porat filed the suit in June against violinists Endre Granat and Alexander Horvath and other unnamed parties, accusing them of "slander, interference with contract, interference with economic relationship and conspiracy."
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 10, 2012 | By Harriet Ryan, Los Angeles Times
A Los Angeles jury awarded casino mogul Steve Wynn $20 million Monday in his slander suit against "Girls Gone Wild" founder Joe Francis - a sum 10 times the gambling debt that sparked the dispute. The L.A. County Superior Court jury found that Francis knowingly made false statements when he told reporters and others that Wynn threatened to kill him and bury his body in the desert over a $2-million bill he ran up during a multi-day gambling spree in 2007. "He told lies. He used the media to get it out there," said Wynn's lead lawyer, Barry Langberg, in lauding the verdict.
WORLD
July 6, 2011 | By Kim Willsher, Los Angeles Times
The Dominique Strauss-Kahn scandal took a new twist Tuesday when a French writer filed a lawsuit in Paris accusing the former head of the International Monetary Fund of attempted rape. Tristane Banon, 32, said the veteran politician attacked her in a Paris apartment when she went to interview him for a book she was writing in 2003. Strauss-Kahn's Paris lawyers have responded by saying they will sue Banon for what they say are slanderous statements, describing her accusations as "imaginary.
WORLD
April 11, 2011 | By Amro Hassan and Jeffrey Fleishman, Los Angeles Times
  In his first public speech since he was forced from power two months ago, former Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak said Sunday that he and his family were victims of a campaign by political enemies seeking to tarnish their reputation by exaggerating their wealth with false charges of corruption. The pre-recorded audio address came the same day the Egyptian prosecutor general's office announced that Mubarak and sons Gamal — who many believed would have been his successor — and Alaa were summoned for questioning regarding the violence that left about 300 people dead during the revolt that toppled the regime on Feb. 11. The legal move appeared to be an attempt by the country's ruling military council to appease protesters who have criticized the army for not moving swiftly enough to indict Mubarak and his inner circle.
SPORTS
November 25, 2010 | Associated Press
Former football coach Mike Leach sued ESPN Inc. and a public relations firm Wednesday, accusing them of libel and slander after he was fired by Texas Tech amid accusations that he mistreated a player suffering from a concussion. The suit filed in Texas district court claims the network's coverage of Leach's firing last year was "willful and negligent defamation" and that it failed to "retract false and damaging statements" it made from "misinformation" provided to ESPN by Craig James , the father of the Texas Tech player.
WORLD
July 12, 2010 | By Kim Willsher, Los Angeles Times
French President Nicolas Sarkozy went on television Monday night in his latest effort to dismiss as "slander and lies" a series of accusations of corruption and cronyism in his administration. In what was seen by political commentators here as the most important public declaration of his presidency so far, Sarkozy bullishly denied receiving an illegal campaign contribution from France's richest woman, L'Oreal heiress Liliane Bettencourt. The president's popularity has sunk to a historic low after allegations that he received money stuffed in an envelope from the billionaire.
WORLD
January 29, 2010 | By Devorah Lauter
French judges on Thursday acquitted former Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin on charges of conspiring in a campaign to slander French President Nicolas Sarkozy and prevent his victory in the 2007 presidential election. The ruling was expected to boost De Villepin's position as the conservative most capable of challenging Sarkozy's near monopoly of the moderate right that now dominates French politics. "It's been a nasty birthday for Sarkozy," said Gael Sliman, political commentator and deputy director of France's BVA polling institute.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 2, 1990
The Beverly Hills police officer who arrested Zsa Zsa Gabor and was the recipient of the now-famous slap filed a $10 million slander suit Thursday against Gabor. In his suit, Officer Paul Kramer, who arrested Gabor last June 14 when he spotted her driving her Rolls-Royce with expired registration tags, said the loquacious glamour queen has "engaged in a malicious and vindictive campaign to defame" him through her numerous radio and television appearances.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 14, 1989
A San Gabriel city councilman filed suit Monday in Pasadena Superior Court against 10 civic leaders, including a fellow councilman, a former mayor, a planning commissioner and the president of the Chamber of Commerce, charging them with libel, slander and civil conspiracy.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 16, 2009 | Harriet Ryan
Michael Jackson's longtime dermatologist and friend filed suit Monday accusing another physician with a decades-long relationship with the pop icon of slandering him in a British tabloid report about Jackson's death. In papers filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court, lawyers for Dr. Arnold Klein alleged that cosmetic surgeon Dr. Steven Hoefflin made statements to the newspaper that he knew were false in an attempt to wreck a rival's reputation and hurt his celebrity-studded Beverly Hills practice.
ENTERTAINMENT
July 9, 2009 | Victoria Kim
Earlier this year, Dole Food Co. won a major victory in the L.A. courts when a judge threw out lawsuits brought by Nicaraguan banana workers purportedly rendered sterile by pesticide, saying the plaintiffs' case was a product of massive fraud. Now Dole is headed back to court but this time, it's Dole that's claiming to be the victim.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|