Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsSoccer Players Eligibility
IN THE NEWS

Soccer Players Eligibility

FEATURED ARTICLES
SPORTS
November 15, 1995 | TRIS WYKES, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Jamie Surace, the Moorpark College men's soccer player whose participation in a club soccer match led to the forfeiture Monday by Moorpark of six victories and four ties, said he was aware of the rule banning outside competition but did not understand it. Surace, a starting freshman forward from Moorpark High, violated state junior college rules by playing for the Moorpark Express in an under-19 match Saturday against the Simi Valley Thunder.
ARTICLES BY DATE
SPORTS
January 11, 1998 | TRIS WYKES, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The Rio Mesa High boys' soccer team has forfeited last week's Channel League victory over Ventura for using a player involved in a non-high school soccer event during the season. Spartan Coach Brent Kruk said his team, which defeated Ventura, 4-0, on Tuesday, forfeited that result Friday as directed by the Southern Section and dropped to 7-4-1 and 0-3 in league play. The player responsible is a senior starter who participated in an outside event Sunday.
Advertisement
SPORTS
January 11, 1998 | TRIS WYKES, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The Rio Mesa High boys' soccer team has forfeited last week's Channel League victory over Ventura for using a player involved in a non-high school soccer event during the season. Spartan Coach Brent Kruk said his team, which defeated Ventura, 4-0, on Tuesday, forfeited that result Friday as directed by the Southern Section and dropped to 7-4-1 and 0-3 in league play. The player responsible is a senior starter who participated in an outside event Sunday.
SPORTS
October 11, 1997
The Santa Ana College men's soccer team must forfeit 10 victories in games played between Sept. 5 and Oct. 3 because the eligibility forms of two players were not processed properly, said Don Sneddon, Santa Ana's athletic department coordinator. Sneddon said in a statement the mistake was not by the players--whom the college declined to identify--but the fault of the college for not having the paperwork processed in time for the athletes to be on the team's official playing roster.
SPORTS
January 23, 1992
The Corona del Mar boys' soccer team, ranked fourth in Orange County, has forfeited 10 victories and a tie because of the use of an ineligible player, Athletic Director Jerry Jelnick said Wednesday. The ineligibility, involving a transfer starter who wasn't living with his legal guardian, was discovered Friday. He didn't play in the Sea Kings' 1-0 Sea View League victory over Saddleback. With the forfeit losses, the Sea Kings' record drops from 10-2-1 to 1-12. They are 1-1 in league play.
SPORTS
July 30, 1991 | From Staff and Wire Reports
Argentina's Diego Maradona, banned from soccer until July of 1992 for failing a drug test and currently undergoing drug rehabilitation, will start training with his former local club, Boca Juniors, this week. But Maradona, who faces drug charges in Argentina and in Italy, told Buenos Aires reporters that he has not decided whether he will return to professional soccer when his ban expires.
SPORTS
September 12, 1996
The NCAA has denied appeals for eligibility this season for two Cal State Fullerton recruits. Soccer player Marco Mesrobian and volleyball player Rochelle Esparza won't be able to compete this season after failing to meet NCAA academic requirements for entering freshmen. Esparza was the Southern Section Division I player of the year at Manhattan Beach Mira Costa last season. Mesrobian was a standout player at Glendale Hoover.
SPORTS
February 2, 1993 | MICHAEL ITAGAKI
The Estancia boys' soccer team will forfeit five Pacific Coast League games for using an ineligible player, Estancia boys' Athletic Director Ed Blanton said Monday. Estancia was in first place in the league after finishing the first round, 4-0-1. The Eagles will forfeit those five games, Coach David McKiernan said. "I explained it to the team but it's hard for them to stomach," McKiernan said. "It wasn't the kids' fault . . . it was an administrative blunder."
SPORTS
January 29, 1994 | DAVE McKIBBEN
Santa Ana Valley soccer player Francisco Islas, whose age was questioned by Orange High, was declared eligible Friday by Santa Ana Valley Principal Robert Nelson. Islas, a Times All-County player last year, received a birth certificate Friday that indicated he was born in 1976, making him 17 years old. Administrators at Orange High had claimed Islas was born in 1974. Karen Hellyer, a Southern Section administrator, said: "(Santa Ana Valley) apparently has verified that the kid is 17 years old.
SPORTS
February 19, 1997
La Canada High vice principal Michael Leininger said Tuesday that school officials are investigating the transfer eligibility status of four players on the girls' soccer team. Leininger said the players, whom he did not identify, transferred from Arcadia in December and were cleared for play by La Canada several weeks ago.
SPORTS
February 19, 1997
La Canada High vice principal Michael Leininger said Tuesday that school officials are investigating the transfer eligibility status of four players on the girls' soccer team. Leininger said the players, whom he did not identify, transferred from Arcadia in December and were cleared for play by La Canada several weeks ago.
SPORTS
September 12, 1996
The NCAA has denied appeals for eligibility this season for two Cal State Fullerton recruits. Soccer player Marco Mesrobian and volleyball player Rochelle Esparza won't be able to compete this season after failing to meet NCAA academic requirements for entering freshmen. Esparza was the Southern Section Division I player of the year at Manhattan Beach Mira Costa last season. Mesrobian was a standout player at Glendale Hoover.
SPORTS
November 15, 1995 | TRIS WYKES, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Jamie Surace, the Moorpark College men's soccer player whose participation in a club soccer match led to the forfeiture Monday by Moorpark of six victories and four ties, said he was aware of the rule banning outside competition but did not understand it. Surace, a starting freshman forward from Moorpark High, violated state junior college rules by playing for the Moorpark Express in an under-19 match Saturday against the Simi Valley Thunder.
SPORTS
March 17, 1994 | ENRIQUE LAVIN, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES
Belmont High was stripped of its City Section boys' soccer championship Wednesday and could lose its Northern Conference football title after a rules committee found one of its athletes ineligible. It is the first time in the City Section's 24-year history of soccer that a school has lost its title. Belmont could lose its football title, depending on the number of games the ineligible athlete--Octavio Calvillo--played last fall.
SPORTS
January 29, 1994 | DAVE McKIBBEN
Santa Ana Valley soccer player Francisco Islas, whose age was questioned by Orange High, was declared eligible Friday by Santa Ana Valley Principal Robert Nelson. Islas, a Times All-County player last year, received a birth certificate Friday that indicated he was born in 1976, making him 17 years old. Administrators at Orange High had claimed Islas was born in 1974. Karen Hellyer, a Southern Section administrator, said: "(Santa Ana Valley) apparently has verified that the kid is 17 years old.
SPORTS
February 2, 1993 | MICHAEL ITAGAKI
The Estancia boys' soccer team will forfeit five Pacific Coast League games for using an ineligible player, Estancia boys' Athletic Director Ed Blanton said Monday. Estancia was in first place in the league after finishing the first round, 4-0-1. The Eagles will forfeit those five games, Coach David McKiernan said. "I explained it to the team but it's hard for them to stomach," McKiernan said. "It wasn't the kids' fault . . . it was an administrative blunder."
SPORTS
October 11, 1997
The Santa Ana College men's soccer team must forfeit 10 victories in games played between Sept. 5 and Oct. 3 because the eligibility forms of two players were not processed properly, said Don Sneddon, Santa Ana's athletic department coordinator. Sneddon said in a statement the mistake was not by the players--whom the college declined to identify--but the fault of the college for not having the paperwork processed in time for the athletes to be on the team's official playing roster.
SPORTS
March 17, 1994 | ENRIQUE LAVIN, SPECIAL TO THE TIMES
Belmont High was stripped of its City Section boys' soccer championship Wednesday and could lose its Northern Conference football title after a rules committee found one of its athletes ineligible. It is the first time in the City Section's 24-year history of soccer that a school has lost its title. Belmont could lose its football title, depending on the number of games the ineligible athlete--Octavio Calvillo--played last fall.
SPORTS
January 23, 1992
The Corona del Mar boys' soccer team, ranked fourth in Orange County, has forfeited 10 victories and a tie because of the use of an ineligible player, Athletic Director Jerry Jelnick said Wednesday. The ineligibility, involving a transfer starter who wasn't living with his legal guardian, was discovered Friday. He didn't play in the Sea Kings' 1-0 Sea View League victory over Saddleback. With the forfeit losses, the Sea Kings' record drops from 10-2-1 to 1-12. They are 1-1 in league play.
SPORTS
July 30, 1991 | From Staff and Wire Reports
Argentina's Diego Maradona, banned from soccer until July of 1992 for failing a drug test and currently undergoing drug rehabilitation, will start training with his former local club, Boca Juniors, this week. But Maradona, who faces drug charges in Argentina and in Italy, told Buenos Aires reporters that he has not decided whether he will return to professional soccer when his ban expires.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|