Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsSouth Montebello
IN THE NEWS

South Montebello

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
April 9, 1989 | JAMES M. GOMEZ, Times Staff Writer
With less than a month before voters decide whether to give the Community Redevelopment Agency the power of eminent domain in South Montebello, community leaders on both sides say they are confident of victory, and promise intense campaigning. The opposing forces in the polarizing issue were starting campaigns on Saturday by canvassing shopping centers and city parks, mailing flyers to registered voters and going door-to-door to discuss the impact of eminent domain with residents.
ARTICLES BY DATE
REAL ESTATE
June 4, 1989 | JOE APPLEGATE
As usual, the municipal golf course in Montebello was already crowded at 6:30 a.m. one Saturday last month, as foursomes waited their turn at the starting tee. More than a dozen middle-aged men were waggling their clubs over the wet grass, chatting in Spanish. They were all correctly dressed for a municipal course, in mismatched slacks and sweaters. A young man bounded up to join them in a maroon-and-silver jogging suit, with a cocksure smile and a set of gleaming clubs. It grew quiet as he was introduced to his partners.
Advertisement
NEWS
December 29, 1988
The backers of referendums that would enable Montebello voters to nullify recently approved redevelopment ordinances turned in thousands of signatures Tuesday to qualify the measures for the ballot. Members of a citizens group called South Montebello Area Residents Together submitted more than 3,700 signatures--about 1,500 more than needed--to qualify each of the referendums, said SMART Chairman William M. Molinari. The city has until Jan.
NEWS
May 4, 1989 | JAMES M. GOMEZ, Times Staff Writer
After more than six months of divisive campaigning, voters on Tuesday overwhelmingly rejected a City Council bid to grant the Community Redevelopment Agency land-taking power in South Montebello. "The people have spoken," said Larry Salazar, who led the campaign to defeat three proposed ordinances. The City Council originally approved the ordinances, but then called the special election under pressure from opponents of eminent domain. "The community has been sending this message to the council since last year.
NEWS
April 30, 1989 | JAMES M. GOMEZ, Times Staff Writer
As voters prepare to go to the polls on a referendum on eminent domain Tuesday, a citizens group opposed to the city's bid for the right to condemn property in South Montebello has been dealt a setback in court. Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Miriam A. Vogel last week denied an attorney's request that she invalidate two environmental impact reports measuring the possible impact of commercial development in the mostly industrial section of Montebello. The court decision came just one week before voters decide on three ballot measures that would give the Community Redevelopment Agency limited condemnation power in the South Montebello Industrial Redevelopment Project (SMIRP)
NEWS
May 4, 1989 | JAMES M. GOMEZ, Times Staff Writer
After more than six months of divisive campaigning, voters on Tuesday overwhelmingly rejected a City Council bid to grant the Community Redevelopment Agency land-taking power in South Montebello. "The people have spoken," said Larry Salazar, who led the campaign to defeat three proposed ordinances. The City Council originally approved the ordinances, but then called the special election under pressure from opponents of eminent domain. "The community has been sending this message to the council since last year.
REAL ESTATE
June 4, 1989 | JOE APPLEGATE
As usual, the municipal golf course in Montebello was already crowded at 6:30 a.m. one Saturday last month, as foursomes waited their turn at the starting tee. More than a dozen middle-aged men were waggling their clubs over the wet grass, chatting in Spanish. They were all correctly dressed for a municipal course, in mismatched slacks and sweaters. A young man bounded up to join them in a maroon-and-silver jogging suit, with a cocksure smile and a set of gleaming clubs. It grew quiet as he was introduced to his partners.
NEWS
April 30, 1989 | JAMES M. GOMEZ, Times Staff Writer
City Administrator Joseph M. Goeden has announced that he will leave the city to accept a job as head of a newly formed Northern California city. Goeden, who has been city administrator in Montebello for almost nine years, will be replaced by Transportation Director Richard Torres, who will become Montebello's first Latino city administrator, officials said. Torres' appointment by the City Council was announced at the end of last week's council meeting. "Richard will do a fine job," Goeden said in a telephone interview last week.
NEWS
October 6, 1988
After nearly three hours of testimony, the Montebello Planning Commission has postponed action on a plan to give the city's Redevelopment Agency the power of eminent domain in two areas of south Montebello. Commissioner Edward C. Vasquez, who motioned for the postponement, said he wanted to give members of a community group more time to review an environmental impact report on the proposal. He also said he needed more time to consider Monday night's testimony.
NEWS
September 15, 1988 | RICHARD HOLGUIN, Times Staff Writer
The City Council this week appointed a citizens committee to review a controversial redevelopment proposal, but was immediately accused of snubbing residents and creating a rubber stamp. The council formed the committee to find out how residents feel about a proposal to let the Montebello Redevelopment Agency wield the power of eminent domain over two redevelopment areas in South Montebello.
NEWS
April 30, 1989 | JAMES M. GOMEZ, Times Staff Writer
City Administrator Joseph M. Goeden has announced that he will leave the city to accept a job as head of a newly formed Northern California city. Goeden, who has been city administrator in Montebello for almost nine years, will be replaced by Transportation Director Richard Torres, who will become Montebello's first Latino city administrator, officials said. Torres' appointment by the City Council was announced at the end of last week's council meeting. "Richard will do a fine job," Goeden said in a telephone interview last week.
NEWS
April 30, 1989 | JAMES M. GOMEZ, Times Staff Writer
As voters prepare to go to the polls on a referendum on eminent domain Tuesday, a citizens group opposed to the city's bid for the right to condemn property in South Montebello has been dealt a setback in court. Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Miriam A. Vogel last week denied an attorney's request that she invalidate two environmental impact reports measuring the possible impact of commercial development in the mostly industrial section of Montebello. The court decision came just one week before voters decide on three ballot measures that would give the Community Redevelopment Agency limited condemnation power in the South Montebello Industrial Redevelopment Project (SMIRP)
NEWS
April 9, 1989 | JAMES M. GOMEZ, Times Staff Writer
With less than a month before voters decide whether to give the Community Redevelopment Agency the power of eminent domain in South Montebello, community leaders on both sides say they are confident of victory, and promise intense campaigning. The opposing forces in the polarizing issue were starting campaigns on Saturday by canvassing shopping centers and city parks, mailing flyers to registered voters and going door-to-door to discuss the impact of eminent domain with residents.
NEWS
December 29, 1988
The backers of referendums that would enable Montebello voters to nullify recently approved redevelopment ordinances turned in thousands of signatures Tuesday to qualify the measures for the ballot. Members of a citizens group called South Montebello Area Residents Together submitted more than 3,700 signatures--about 1,500 more than needed--to qualify each of the referendums, said SMART Chairman William M. Molinari. The city has until Jan.
NEWS
January 5, 1989
A newly formed coalition of residents and businessmen has sued to block a City Council decision to give its Redevelopment Agency condemnation power for new development in south Montebello. The lawsuit was filed Friday in Los Angeles Superior Court by Christopher A. Sutton, a lawyer representing Montebello Cares.
NEWS
July 13, 1989
Thirteen-year Montebello resident Larry Salazar, who helped run the successful campaign that stopped the city from acquiring land-taking power in south Montebello, has announced his candidacy for the City Council in November.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|