Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsSrebrenica Bosnia Herzegovina
IN THE NEWS

Srebrenica Bosnia Herzegovina

FEATURED ARTICLES
WORLD
January 18, 2005 | From Times Wire Reports
A U.N. tribunal at The Hague convicted and sentenced two former Bosnian Serb army commanders to prison for their roles in the 1995 slaughter of more than 7,000 Muslims from the eastern city of Srebrenica. Col. Vidoje Blagojevic, 54, received an 18-year term for complicity in genocide and other war crimes. Dragan Jokic, 47, a major in another brigade who assumed command during a week of killing at the end of the 1992-95 war, got a nine-year sentence.
ARTICLES BY DATE
WORLD
May 10, 2007 | From Times Wire Reports
The U.N. war crimes tribunal quashed the conviction of a former Bosnian Serb army commander for complicity in genocide in the Srebrenica massacre, but said he still had to serve 15 years for related crimes. Col. Vidoje Blagojevic had helped with the transfer of Bosnian Muslims from the U.N.'s so-called safe area of Srebrenica in 1995. As many as 8,000 Muslim men and boys were slaughtered there by Serb forces.
Advertisement
WORLD
May 10, 2007 | From Times Wire Reports
The U.N. war crimes tribunal quashed the conviction of a former Bosnian Serb army commander for complicity in genocide in the Srebrenica massacre, but said he still had to serve 15 years for related crimes. Col. Vidoje Blagojevic had helped with the transfer of Bosnian Muslims from the U.N.'s so-called safe area of Srebrenica in 1995. As many as 8,000 Muslim men and boys were slaughtered there by Serb forces.
WORLD
January 18, 2005 | From Times Wire Reports
A U.N. tribunal at The Hague convicted and sentenced two former Bosnian Serb army commanders to prison for their roles in the 1995 slaughter of more than 7,000 Muslims from the eastern city of Srebrenica. Col. Vidoje Blagojevic, 54, received an 18-year term for complicity in genocide and other war crimes. Dragan Jokic, 47, a major in another brigade who assumed command during a week of killing at the end of the 1992-95 war, got a nine-year sentence.
WORLD
November 11, 2004 | From Times Wire Reports
The Bosnian Serb government issued an apology for the 1995 massacre of 7,800 Muslim civilians in Srebrenica, saying it "shares the pain" of the victims' families. The apology came after the government reviewed a Bosnian Serb commission's final report on the worst massacre of civilians in Europe since World War II. The government session was last month, but the conclusions were not immediately made public.
NEWS
April 7, 1993 | CAROL J. WILLIAMS, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In a tragically fitting conclusion to a year that savaged Bosnia's land and soul, rival military commanders broke promises to meet Tuesday and consider an end to the war that has uprooted half the population and left as many as 200,000 dead. The Muslim-led government boycotted U.N.-mediated peace talks in protest of a rebel Serbian offensive against the stricken city of Srebrenica in eastern Bosnia-Herzegovina. There local authorities again blocked a U.N.
NEWS
April 18, 1993 | STANLEY MEISLER and CAROL J. WILLIAMS, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
The U.N. Security Council, furious over the defiant Serbian aggression in the eastern Bosnian town of Srebrenica, brushed aside news of a new cease-fire agreement late Saturday night and clamped new and tighter sanctions on the former Yugoslav federation.
WORLD
April 9, 2005 | From Times Wire Reports
The U.N. tribunal for the former Yugoslavia announced war crimes charges against a Bosnian Serb captain for his alleged role in the violent deaths of more than 7,000 Muslim boys and men in Srebrenica, Bosnia-Herzegovina. Capt. Milorad Trbic, former deputy chief of security in the Bosnian Serb army, has been charged with one count of murder in the 1995 massacre in the U.N.-protected enclave. Trbic, 47, assisted in the planning and shooting, his indictment says.
WORLD
December 3, 2003 | From Times Wire Reports
U.N. war crimes judges at The Hague sentenced a Bosnian Serb to 27 years in prison for his confessed role in a 1995 massacre. Ex-army commander Momir Nikolic, 48, wept and covered his face with his hands. Serbian troops killed up to 8,000 Muslim men and boys after overrunning the U.N.-declared "safe area" of Srebrenica in Bosnia-Herzegovina. Meanwhile, two Muslim officers went on trial. Retired Gen. Enver Hadzihasanovic, 53, and Amir Kubura, 39, are charged with murder and other offenses.
WORLD
July 12, 2007 | From the Associated Press
Srebrenica, Bosnia-Herzegovina -- Hundreds of newly identified victims of the 1995 Srebrenica massacre were reburied Wednesday, their relatives sobbing as the thin green coffins were laid in the ground on the 12th anniversary of the mass wartime killing. More than 30,000 people attended the service, in which a child read aloud the names of the 465 victims identified after being found in the many mass graves around Srebrenica.
WORLD
November 11, 2004 | From Times Wire Reports
The Bosnian Serb government issued an apology for the 1995 massacre of 7,800 Muslim civilians in Srebrenica, saying it "shares the pain" of the victims' families. The apology came after the government reviewed a Bosnian Serb commission's final report on the worst massacre of civilians in Europe since World War II. The government session was last month, but the conclusions were not immediately made public.
NEWS
April 18, 1993 | STANLEY MEISLER and CAROL J. WILLIAMS, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
The U.N. Security Council, furious over the defiant Serbian aggression in the eastern Bosnian town of Srebrenica, brushed aside news of a new cease-fire agreement late Saturday night and clamped new and tighter sanctions on the former Yugoslav federation.
NEWS
April 7, 1993 | CAROL J. WILLIAMS, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In a tragically fitting conclusion to a year that savaged Bosnia's land and soul, rival military commanders broke promises to meet Tuesday and consider an end to the war that has uprooted half the population and left as many as 200,000 dead. The Muslim-led government boycotted U.N.-mediated peace talks in protest of a rebel Serbian offensive against the stricken city of Srebrenica in eastern Bosnia-Herzegovina. There local authorities again blocked a U.N.
WORLD
December 30, 2005 | From Associated Press
An ethnic Serb seen killing Muslims in a video that was nationally televised was convicted of war crimes Thursday and sentenced to 15 years in prison. Serbian paramilitary member Slobodan Davidovic "actively participated in inhuman treatment, humiliation and liquidation" of six young Muslim men from Srebrenica, Bosnia-Herzegovina, in 1995, Zagreb district Judge Miroslav Sovanj said in his ruling.
WORLD
May 13, 2005 | From Associated Press
The first witness in a civil suit filed by two families of victims of the 1995 massacre in Srebrenica, Bosnia-Herzegovina, testified Thursday that Dutch troops protecting the enclave were unprepared for a Serb onslaught and felt "frustrated and powerless" when it came. Asked what the peacekeepers had done to prepare themselves for the Serb attack on the Muslim town, the witness, personnel officer Berend Oosterveen, replied, "We hadn't considered that."
Los Angeles Times Articles
|