Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsStanley Bryant
IN THE NEWS

Stanley Bryant

FEATURED ARTICLES
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 9, 1995 | ANN W. O'NEILL, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Climaxing a case that has consumed six years and more than $3 million, a jury in Los Angeles on Thursday found reputed Pacoima drug lord Stanley Bryant and two underlings guilty of first-degree murder with special circumstances that could result in the death penalty. The 37-year-old Bryant was found guilty Thursday of two counts of first-degree murder in the Aug.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
October 20, 1995 | LESLIE BERGER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
San Fernando Valley drug lord Stanley Bryant, head of a once-thriving crack cocaine empire based in Pacoima, and two of his associates were sentenced Thursday to be executed for the 1988 slayings of two rivals and two witnesses, including a 2 1/2-year-old girl. The death sentences had been expected for Bryant, Donald Franklin Smith and LeRoy Wheeler, who were convicted last summer by a jury that recommended the death penalty. They showed no reaction when Superior Court Judge Charles E.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 25, 1995 | ANN W. O'NEILL, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Stanley (Peanut Head) Bryant never fired a shot, but a jury in Downtown Los Angeles on Monday determined that the San Fernando Valley drug lord should die for masterminding a bloody 1988 crack-house ambush that killed four people, including a mother and child. The jury of seven men and five women also delivered two death verdicts against Donald (Duke) Smith, an employee of the ruthless, Pacoima-based drug syndicate that prosecutors say Bryant ran with his brother, Jeff.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 20, 1995
San Fernando Valley drug lord Stanley Bryant, head of a once-thriving crack cocaine empire based in Pacoima, and two of his associates were sentenced Thursday to be executed for the 1988 slayings of two rivals and two witnesses, including a 2 1/2-year-old girl. The death sentences had been expected for Bryant, Donald Franklin Smith and LeRoy Wheeler, who were convicted last summer by a jury that recommended the death penalty. The three showed no reaction when Superior Court Judge Charles E.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 9, 1989
A 23-year-old Pacoima man was sentenced Monday to 15 years to life in prison in the shooting death of the girlfriend of a reputed San Fernando Valley drug czar. Vincent Williams pleaded guilty to second-degree murder in San Fernando Superior Court in the Feb. 14 shooting death of Michelle Smith, 18. Williams turned himself in to police soon after Smith's body was found in the Sylmar motel room where she lived in the 13100 block of San Fernando Road, Deputy Dist. Atty. Sid D. Trapp said.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 20, 1995
San Fernando Valley drug lord Stanley Bryant, head of a once-thriving crack cocaine empire based in Pacoima, and two of his associates were sentenced Thursday to be executed for the 1988 slayings of two rivals and two witnesses, including a 2 1/2-year-old girl. The death sentences had been expected for Bryant, Donald Franklin Smith and LeRoy Wheeler, who were convicted last summer by a jury that recommended the death penalty. The three showed no reaction when Superior Court Judge Charles E.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 25, 1995 | LESLIE BERGER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In the continuing courtroom drama surrounding an alleged powerful Pacoima-based drug ring, a witness told jurors Friday that she had been bribed and intimidated in an apparent effort to keep her from implicating members of the so-called Bryant Family in a 1982 slaying.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 13, 1988 | CLAUDIA PUIG and MICHAEL CONNELLY, Times Staff Writers
Two more suspects have been arrested and five others are still being sought by police, bringing to 11 the number of people involved in the Aug. 28 quadruple slaying at a Lake View Terrace house where a drug ring operated, authorities said Wednesday.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 16, 1995 | LESLIE BERGER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Defense lawyers in the Bryant Family murder trial continued their assault on the prosecution's case Wednesday, telling jurors that police had cut a deal with one key witness, pressured another into changing her story and distorted the scope of the Pacoima-based drug ring underlying the four killings. Attorney Carl Jones downplayed the alleged Bryant Family cocaine empire, telling the jury that his client, Stanley Bryant, was hardly the drug lord and murder mastermind portrayed by the government.
NEWS
October 20, 1995 | LESLIE BERGER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
San Fernando Valley drug lord Stanley Bryant, head of a once-thriving crack cocaine empire based in Pacoima, and two of his associates were sentenced Thursday to be executed for the 1988 slayings of two rivals and two witnesses, including a 2 1/2-year-old girl. The death sentences had been expected for Bryant, Donald Franklin Smith and LeRoy Wheeler, who were convicted last summer by a jury that recommended the death penalty. They showed no reaction when Superior Court Judge Charles E.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 25, 1995
Stanley (Peanut Head) Bryant never fired a shot, but a jury in Downtown Los Angeles on Monday determined that the San Fernando Valley drug lord should die for masterminding a bloody 1988 crack house ambush that killed four people, including a mother and child. The jury of seven men and five women also delivered two death sentences to Donald (Duke) Smith, an employee of the ruthless, Pacoima-based drug syndicate.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 25, 1995 | ANN W. O'NEILL, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Stanley (Peanut Head) Bryant never fired a shot, but a jury in Downtown Los Angeles on Monday determined that the San Fernando Valley drug lord should die for masterminding a bloody 1988 crack-house ambush that killed four people, including a mother and child. The jury of seven men and five women also delivered two death verdicts against Donald (Duke) Smith, an employee of the ruthless, Pacoima-based drug syndicate that prosecutors say Bryant ran with his brother, Jeff.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 9, 1995 | ANN W. O'NEILL, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Climaxing a case that has consumed six years and more than $3 million, a jury in Los Angeles on Thursday found reputed Pacoima drug lord Stanley Bryant and two underlings guilty of first-degree murder with special circumstances that could result in the death penalty. The 37-year-old Bryant was found guilty Thursday of two counts of first-degree murder in the Aug.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 9, 1995 | ANN W. O'NEILL, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A jury Thursday found reputed Pacoima drug lord Stanley Bryant and two underlings guilty of first-degree murder with special circumstances that could result in the death penalty for all three. Bryant, 37, was convicted in Los Angeles Superior Court on two counts of first-degree murder in the Aug. 28, 1988, shootings of a woman and 2-year-old girl at a heavily fortified house in Lake View Terrace where, according to testimony, money from crack cocaine sales was counted.
NEWS
May 18, 1995 | ANN W. O'NEILL, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Stanley Bryant, a leader of the notorious San Fernando Valley cocaine ring that bears his family's name, was convicted Wednesday of two counts of first-degree murder in the 1988 ambush of two drug rivals at a fortified Lake View Terrace crack house. The Superior Court jury, which began deliberations a week ago following a 14-week trial in Los Angeles, delivered partial verdicts against Bryant.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 18, 1995 | ANN W. O'NEILL, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Stanley Bryant, a leader of the notorious San Fernando Valley cocaine ring that bears his family's name, was convicted Wednesday of two counts of first-degree murder in the 1988 ambush of two drug rivals at a fortified Lake View Terrace crack house. The Superior Court jury, which began deliberations a week ago after a 14-week trial in Los Angeles, delivered partial verdicts against Bryant.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 29, 1992
The chief prosecutor in the Bryant family murder trial--who alleged that members of the notorious drug ring had infiltrated law enforcement agencies--has been removed from the case, a Los Angeles County district attorney's spokesman said Monday. A judge later ruled that there was not enough evidence to support the infiltration claim. Deputy Dist. Atty. Jan Maurizi, who has been dogged by unwanted publicity in the case over the past two months, was replaced Thursday by Deputy Dist. Atty.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 29, 1992 | SAM ENRIQUEZ, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The chief prosecutor in the Bryant family murder trial--who alleged that members of the notorious drug ring had infiltrated law enforcement agencies--has been removed from the case, a Los Angeles County district attorney's spokesman said Monday. Deputy Dist. Atty. Jan Maurizi, who has been dogged by unwanted publicity in the case over the past two months, was replaced Thursday by Deputy Dist. Atty. Kevin McCormick, spokesman Mike Botula said. The change was ordered by Dist. Atty.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 11, 1995 | ANN W. O'NEILL, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The mammoth Bryant Family murder case, which took more than six years and cost several million dollars to prosecute, lumbered toward a conclusion Wednesday with a flurry of finger-pointing by the defendants and their lawyers. A Superior Court jury in Downtown Los Angeles will begin sorting out the tangle of allegations today, when it retires for deliberations following a three-month trial.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 9, 1995 | ANN W. O'NEILL, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Six years after four people were shot to death at a crack house in Lake View Terrace, the Bryant Family cocaine syndicate still is powerful enough to inspire memory loss in nearly a dozen witnesses at the murder trial for four Family leaders, a prosector told a jury on Monday. Even so, said Deputy Dist. Atty. Dale Davidson, authorities had amassed enough physical evidence, reinforced by testimony from an insider turned informant, for the jury to find the four men guilty of murder.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|