Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsStanton Ca
IN THE NEWS

Stanton Ca

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 19, 2005 | From Times Staff and Wire Reports
A man was fatally shot on a school playground late Wednesday by a gunman who fled on a bicycle, police said. He remained at large Thursday night. Julio Alberto Hernandez, 24, a transient, was found about 9 p.m. at Carver Elementary School, police said. He was taken to Western Medical Center-Anaheim, where he died, police said. A man wearing a baseball cap and believed to be the gunman was seen leaving the scene, officials said.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 11, 2004
A 29-year-old Stanton man was killed Saturday in an apparent gang-related shooting involving at least one gunman armed with an assault rifle, sheriff's officials said. Mario Pena was found about 3:30 a.m. by sheriff's deputies responding to reports of a possible drive-by shooting in the 7900 block of Monroe Avenue, said Sheriff's Lt. Hans Strand. Deputies also found several bullet casings from an AK-47 assault rifle. Pena had been shot several times, Strand said.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 5, 2004 | David Haldane, Times Staff Writer
A Stanton bar had its liquor license revoked Thursday for allowing waitresses to solicit customers for beers at inflated prices and for permitting the sale of cocaine on the premises. "Our mission is to make communities stronger, and this obviously wasn't a business that was adding value to the community," Mark DeSio, a spokesman for the state Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control, said of the Extasis Caliente Nightclub in the 11000 block of Beach Boulevard.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 12, 2004 | David Haldane, Times Staff Writer
A newborn boy found dead at a Stanton recycling center apparently was alive when he was dumped in the trash, a sheriff's spokesman said Wednesday. The baby, who died of asphyxiation and not strangulation as was widely reported, "was alive when it was dumped," said Jim Amormino, a spokesman for the Orange County Sheriff's Department. "It could have been a pile of debris on top of the baby that caused its death. Any number of things could have happened."
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 11, 2004 | From a Times Staff Writer
A newborn boy was found dead Tuesday by workers at a Stanton recycling plant, authorities said. "It appears as though the newborn was abandoned in the trash dump," said Lt. Hayward Miller of the Orange County Sheriff's Department. The discovery was made about 6 p.m. at the CR Transfer and Stanton Materials Recovery facility in the 11000 block of Knott Avenue, Miller said. The infant was found in a pile of debris being sorted on a conveyor belt.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 27, 2003 | From Times Wire Reports
Gunfire left one person dead and another wounded early Saturday during a possible gang-related clash at a birthday party, authorities said. The shooting occurred about 1:30 a.m. in the 10800 block of Oak Street, said Orange County Sheriff's Sgt. Paul Fuzzard. The man and a teenage boy were taken to UC Irvine Medical Center in Orange. The man, a Stanton resident, was pronounced dead at 3 a.m., police said. The teenager was being treated for a leg wound.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 29, 2003 | From Times staff reports
A 14-year-old Stanton boy is being sought in the stabbing of a Garden Grove man, police said. John Benoit, 20, suffered minor wounds early Saturday at an Amy Avenue party, police said.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 3, 2003 | Errin Haines, Times Staff Writer
The mother of Samantha Runnion -- the 5-year-old Stanton girl whose abduction and slaying 10 days before her birthday captured national attention last summer -- is working on behalf of other child victims now. Erin Runnion on Wednesday helped kick off the 2003 Blue Ribbon Campaign, an annual event to raise awareness about child abuse and neglect. The event was sponsored by the Raise Foundation, formerly known as Prevent Child Abuse-Orange County.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 27, 2002 | David Haldane
An Orange County Superior Court judge Monday ordered the registrar of voters to excise about 30% of a Stanton City Council candidate's voter pamphlet statement, which opponents had charged was unsubstantiated by fact. Responding to a lawsuit filed by three incumbent City Council members against their lone challenger in the Nov. 5 election, Judge David A. Thompson ordered that about 60 of the 193 words in candidate Kevin F. Carr's statement of qualifications be stricken.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 22, 2002 | MONTE MORIN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
It began as a gesture of hope--a tiny pile of gifts to welcome home a missing and much-beloved little girl. Within hours, however, the modest assortment of Mylar balloons and smiling stuffed animals became a somber memorial, and a symbol of a parent's worst fears. In the days since authorities announced the death of Samantha Runnion, the 5-year-old abducted from her Stanton condominium complex last week, the memorial outside her home has become Orange County's "ground zero."
Los Angeles Times Articles
|