Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsStephen M Bingham
IN THE NEWS

Stephen M Bingham

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
June 28, 1987
Ex-fugitive Stephen Bingham has settled down with a wife, a newborn baby and a steady job, but he has not abandoned the political activism that sent him underground for 13 years. A year after a Marin County jury acquitted him of murder and conspiracy charges stemming from a 1971 shoot-out at San Quentin Prison, the 43-year-old lawyer says he finally feels free. "Every day when I wake up, I feel relief that it's all behind me," Bingham said.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
June 28, 1987
Ex-fugitive Stephen Bingham has settled down with a wife, a newborn baby and a steady job, but he has not abandoned the political activism that sent him underground for 13 years. A year after a Marin County jury acquitted him of murder and conspiracy charges stemming from a 1971 shoot-out at San Quentin Prison, the 43-year-old lawyer says he finally feels free. "Every day when I wake up, I feel relief that it's all behind me," Bingham said.
Advertisement
NEWS
February 20, 1985
Attorney Stephen M. Bingham, who surfaced last year after spending 13 years as a fugitive, was ordered today to stand trial on murder and conspiracy charges in connection with an uprising at San Quentin prison on Aug. 21, 1971, that resulted in the deaths of three guards and three prisoners. Marin County Muncipal Judge William H. Stephens ordered that Bingham be held to answer to the 13-year-old charges after a preliminary hearing that saw 25 days of testimony, 56 witnesses and 242 exhibits.
NEWS
December 20, 1985 | MARK A. STEIN, Times Staff Writer
Acting on a pretrial defense motion, Marin County Superior Court Judge E. Warren McGuire dismissed three of five murder counts against former radical fugitive Stephen M. Bingham, it was disclosed Thursday. Defense attorney Gerald Schwartzbach said the order, signed late Wednesday, is a "great boost" for his client. Bingham, a former prison-reform lawyer, is accused of smuggling a pistol into San Quentin Prison on Aug. 21, 1971, and giving it to his client, prison activist George Jackson.
NEWS
April 18, 1986 | MARK A. STEIN, Times Staff Writer
A retired prison guard Thursday recounted for jurors in the murder trial of Stephen M. Bingham the gruesome details of the slaughter caused by revolutionary inmate and author George Jackson's ill-fated 1971 escape attempt from San Quentin Prison. Kenneth McCray, whose throat was slashed during the incident, was generally unemotional as he testified that Jackson did not have a gun before his meeting with Bingham but moments afterward produced the pistol, touching off the bloody revolt.
NEWS
May 24, 1986 | MARK A. STEIN, Times Staff Writer
A 67-year-old woman shot and killed her former son-in-law and then fatally wounded herself Friday in a crowded Marin County courtroom as the man waited to press child-stealing charges against his ex-wife. The man, identified as David Michael Lafont, 36, of San Rafael, was hit in the head and died seconds after the 1:45 p.m. attack. His killer, Sylvia Tolson of Stockton, died two hours later at Marin General Hospital of a single self-inflicted head wound.
NEWS
June 21, 1986 | MARK A. STEIN, Times Staff Writer
Jurors opened deliberations Friday in the murder and conspiracy trial of Stephen M. Bingham, the former prison-rights lawyer accused of helping spark the bloodiest prison escape attempt in California history. Bingham, 44, is accused of smuggling a gun to convict-author George Jackson during an attorney-client visit at San Quentin on Aug. 21, 1971. Shortly after that visit, Jackson launched an escape attempt that led to the deaths of three guards and three inmates, including Jackson.
NEWS
April 29, 1986 | MARK A. STEIN, Times Staff Writer
A judge ruled Monday that lawyers for Stephen M. Bingham can attempt to show that prison officials essentially encouraged prison revolutionary George Jackson to make his fatal 1971 escape attempt from San Quentin prison. Marin County Superior Court Judge E. Warren McGuire said the defense can pursue a conspiracy theory based on the contention that prison officials ignored evidence that Jackson was planning an escape.
NEWS
April 8, 1986 | MARK A. STEIN, Times Staff Writer
Prosecutors opened their case Monday against Stephen M. Bingham by using detailed graphics to show where he allegedly smuggled into a prison a gun that helped spark a brief but bloody San Quentin Prison revolt in 1971 that left six men dead, including radical convict-author George Jackson. Bingham, 43, once a lawyer active in the prison-reform movement, is charged with the murders of two of the guards, Frank DeLeon and Jere Graham, and with conspiracy for his role in the alleged escape attempt.
NEWS
February 21, 1985 | DAN MORAIN, Times Staff Writer
Stephen M. Bingham, the lawyer who spent 13 years as a fugitive from charges arising out of an escape attempt at San Quentin prison in which black militant George Jackson and five others were killed, was ordered Wednesday to stand trial on murder and conspiracy charges. Bingham, 42, said he was not surprised that Marin County Municipal Judge William H. Stephens ordered him to face trial.
NEWS
August 23, 1989 | HENRY WEINSTEIN, Times Staff Writer
Former Black Panther Johnny Spain should not have been compelled to wear shackles while on trial for murdering two San Quentin prison guards and is entitled to a new trial, a federal appeals court in Pasadena ruled Tuesday. By a 2-1 vote, the U.S.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|