Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsSteven R Shelp
IN THE NEWS

Steven R Shelp

FEATURED ARTICLES
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 22, 1994 | JEANNETTE REGALADO
Two firefighters implicated as arson suspects in last year's Calabasas-Malibu fire filed a lawsuit Monday charging Los Angeles County and Sheriff Sherman Block with defaming them and violating their civil rights, according to their attorney. Nicholas A. Durepo and Steven R. Shelp filed the suit in Los Angeles Superior Court, asking for unspecified damages, said Larry R. Feldman, who is representing both men. The lawsuit was expected.
ARTICLES BY DATE
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 22, 1994 | JEANNETTE REGALADO
Two firefighters implicated as arson suspects in last year's Calabasas-Malibu fire filed a lawsuit Monday charging Los Angeles County and Sheriff Sherman Block with defaming them and violating their civil rights, according to their attorney. Nicholas A. Durepo and Steven R. Shelp filed the suit in Los Angeles Superior Court, asking for unspecified damages, said Larry R. Feldman, who is representing both men. The lawsuit was expected.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 18, 1994 | JOSH MEYER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The second of two firefighters named as suspected arsonists in last fall's Calabasas/Malibu fire refused to answer questions before a grand jury Tuesday, and a contractor who helped him and the other firefighter in the first few minutes of the blaze also appeared. Steven R. Shelp, 29, refused to answer questions on the advice of his lawyer.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 30, 1994 | LESLIE BERGER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Two firefighters who were publicly implicated as arson suspects in last year's deadly Malibu blaze--but never prosecuted--have filed legal claims against Los Angeles County and Sheriff Sherman Block, saying Block ruined their careers through politically motivated grandstanding. But even as Nicholas A. Durepo and Steven R. Shelp pursue their defamation case, a federal arson investigator said Thursday that they remain suspects in a continuing probe into the Nov.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 30, 1994 | LESLIE BERGER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Two firefighters who were publicly implicated as arson suspects in last year's deadly Malibu blaze--but never prosecuted--have filed legal claims against Los Angeles County and Sheriff Sherman Block, saying Block ruined their careers through politically motivated grandstanding. But even as Nicholas A. Durepo and Steven R. Shelp pursue their defamation case, a federal arson investigator said Thursday that they remain suspects in a continuing probe into the Nov.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 30, 1994 | LESLIE BERGER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Two firefighters who were publicly implicated as arson suspects in last year's deadly Malibu blaze--but never prosecuted--have filed legal claims against Los Angeles County, saying Sheriff Sherman Block ruined their careers with politically motivated grandstanding. But even as Nicholas A. Durepo and Steven R.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 17, 1994 | JOSH MEYER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
One of two firefighters named as suspected arsonists in last fall's deadly Calabasas/Malibu fire and a friend with whom he had spoken a few hours after the blaze started appeared before the Los Angeles County Grand Jury on Monday. Nicholas A. Durepo spent about five minutes before the grand jury, declining to answer any questions on the advice of his lawyer. Durepo, 24, and Steven R. Shelp, 29, have been identified by Sheriff's Department investigators as suspects in the Nov.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 7, 1994 | JIM NEWTON and JOSH MEYER, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
Roughly half a dozen witnesses have been ordered to appear at a three-day grand jury hearing later this month as prosecutors attempt to assess the case of two Southern California firefighters accused of igniting last year's deadly Malibu/Calabasas fire. Among those who are expected to appear are the two suspects--Nicholas A. Durepo, 24, and Steven R. Shelp, 29--and several people with whom prosecutors believe the two men may have discussed their activities on Nov. 2, the day of the fire.
NEWS
May 6, 1994 | KEN ELLINGWOOD, TIMES STAFF WRITER
It just couldn't be true: Firefighters? That was the stunned reaction among Malibu fire victims to reports that two area firefighters are suspected of setting last fall's destructive blaze--one more confusing twist thrust upon residents who have spent the past six months trying to put their lives back together. "We all want to see these people caught because of the devastation.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 12, 1994 | JIM NEWTON and ROBERT J. LOPEZ, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
Two firefighters suspected of setting last year's Calabasas/Malibu fire have told friends that a man pictured in last week's Los Angeles Times may have key evidence to bolster their account. But sources close to the investigation say the man has not come forward despite an avalanche of publicity, and investigators are not convinced that he could offer any significant information. Steven R. Shelp and Nicholas A.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 30, 1994 | LESLIE BERGER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Two firefighters who were publicly implicated as arson suspects in last year's deadly Malibu blaze--but never prosecuted--have filed legal claims against Los Angeles County, saying Sheriff Sherman Block ruined their careers with politically motivated grandstanding. But even as Nicholas A. Durepo and Steven R.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 18, 1994 | JOSH MEYER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The second of two firefighters named as suspected arsonists in last fall's Calabasas/Malibu fire refused to answer questions before a grand jury Tuesday, and a contractor who helped him and the other firefighter in the first few minutes of the blaze also appeared. Steven R. Shelp, 29, refused to answer questions on the advice of his lawyer.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 17, 1994 | JOSH MEYER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
One of two firefighters named as suspected arsonists in last fall's deadly Calabasas/Malibu fire and a friend with whom he had spoken a few hours after the blaze started appeared before the Los Angeles County Grand Jury on Monday. Nicholas A. Durepo spent about five minutes before the grand jury, declining to answer any questions on the advice of his lawyer. Durepo, 24, and Steven R. Shelp, 29, have been identified by Sheriff's Department investigators as suspects in the Nov.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 7, 1994 | JIM NEWTON and JOSH MEYER, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
Roughly half a dozen witnesses have been ordered to appear at a three-day grand jury hearing later this month as prosecutors attempt to assess the case of two Southern California firefighters accused of igniting last year's deadly Malibu/Calabasas fire. Among those who are expected to appear are the two suspects--Nicholas A. Durepo, 24, and Steven R. Shelp, 29--and several people with whom prosecutors believe the two men may have discussed their activities on Nov. 2, the day of the fire.
NEWS
May 13, 1994 | JIM NEWTON, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A man who says he is the mysterious "plumber" pictured in photographs of the Calabasas/Malibu fire came forward Thursday with an account that could dramatically bolster the statements given by two volunteer firefighters who have been accused of setting that blaze. "Those guys were fighting the fire, helping out the burn victim," a man who identified himself as Robert Blakeley said in a telephone interview with The Times on Thursday night.
NEWS
May 22, 1994 | JOSH MEYER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
As authorities continue their investigation into whether two firefighters started last year's devastating Calabasas/Malibu fire, a key witness who emerged recently said he is leaving town temporarily to escape the high-pressure atmosphere surrounding the case. Sources close to the grand jury hearing testimony in the case said Friday that more witnesses will be called. Earlier, authorities had said they expected the grand jury to wrap up its work during two all-day sessions last week.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|