Advertisement
 
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsStoves
IN THE NEWS

Stoves

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 30, 1992
A fire that killed a 3-year-old boy in Agua Dulce on Saturday started accidentally, Los Angeles County sheriff's authorities said Sunday. The fire at 7634 Escondido Road was caused by a wood-burning, potbellied stove that was used to heat the one-room house, Sheriff's Deputy Rich Erickson said. Wind-whipped flames engulfed the structure, preventing firefighters from rescuing toddler Vincent Larry Veloz, who apparently ran into a closet to escape the heat, authorities said.
Advertisement
NEWS
September 12, 1988 | Associated Press
Life at the camp for crews battling the Clover Mist fire might not be quite as comfortable as home, but now the firefighters can at least see what's going on in the rest of the world. The camp sits on a sagebrush-covered plateau near the Crandall Ranger Station along the western border of the Shoshone National Forest. Until last weekend, firefighters with time off from the fire lines on the 322,000-acre fire relied on a videotape collection of movies to pass the time.
SPORTS
November 26, 2005
I read today that the owner of the Angels is considering moving his franchise. As a Dodger fan, may I suggest that he move up I-5 to Chavez Ravine? Everyone will be happy. Dodger fans will be rid of Frank McClown -- who should be making balloon animals at Boston Bowl wearing a big red nose with gigantic red shoes. Arte Moreno will be able to name his team "Los Angeles." And, McClown's wish that a Dodger (Mike Scioscia) run the team will come to fruition. How does a team that sells more tickets than 28 of the 29 other teams and receives solid local franchise fees for broadcast rights get stuck with an owner who believes Kansas City has a superior strategy?
SCIENCE
November 6, 2013 | By Tony Barboza
A big polluter could be blazing inside your kitchen, its blue flames glowing under your tea kettle or frying pan. A new study says cooking with a gas stove can expose you to unhealthy levels of air pollution. About two-thirds of Southern California households that use natural gas burners without proper ventilation breathe levels of air pollution so high that they would exceed federal health standards outdoors, scientists with the U.S. Department of Energy's Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory found.
FOOD
April 25, 1991 | JOAN DRAKE, TIMES FOOD MANAGING EDITOR
Most camp stoves (multi-burner portable stoves, not the single-burner stoves used by backpackers) are made by two companies, Coleman Outdoor Products Inc. and Century Primus. Even the house-brand stoves carried by department stores are usually made by these companies. As a result, camp stoves differ little in purchase price or overall performance, so you should choose a model on the basis of economy, convenience and/or environmental considerations. FUEL: Coleman gives the following comparison of fuel costs for 50 hours of cooking (two-burner stoves)
NEWS
August 30, 1993 | Reuters
Stoves, furnaces and water heaters turned into flamethrowers when a technical fault sent gas pumping into suburban Buenos Aires homes at 500 times the normal pressure. Fire brigade officials reported scores of small fires but no injuries or serious damage as a result of the incident Saturday. An official of the northern Buenos Aires gas company blamed sabotage at a neighborhood distribution valve.
HOME & GARDEN
May 4, 2006 | Christy Hobart
QUESTION: I had clipped an article a while back on refurbishing old stoves. I have an O'Keefe & Merritt that needs some work but I cannot locate the clipping. Could you provide me with a listing of repair or refurbishing businesses? CAROLINE MARTINEZ Los Angeles ANSWER: The article you read might have been the profile on Ventura-based old-stove expert, Jack Santoro and his refurbishing business, JES Enterprises, that appeared in The Times on April 12, 1999.
BUSINESS
April 15, 2007 | From Reuters
Two U.S. lawmakers urged safety regulators to do more to prevent kitchen ranges from tipping over. At least 33 people have been killed since 1980 by free-standing stoves tipping over on them, Reps. John D. Dingell and Bart Stupak, both Michigan Democrats, said in a letter to Nancy Nord, the Consumer Product Safety Commission's acting chairwoman.
NEWS
February 27, 2002 | From Times Wire Reports
Flames from a small stove started the fire that killed 363 people in Egypt's worst train disaster, investigators have concluded. Investigators found several small stoves amid the charred debris of the two train cars that suffered the worst damage in the Feb. 20 fire south of Cairo, according to several Egyptian newspapers. Passengers often carry such equipment to heat food and water for tea and coffee, despite regulations banning stoves, gas cylinders and fuel.
NEWS
May 2, 1987 | Paul Dean
Some objects were made to be restored: Stearman biplanes, '57 Chevys, wood-hulled sailboats, Victorian homes and the Wiltern Theater. But old stoves? Cast iron, overweight, ill-tempered, smelly and frequently explosive stoves? "Why not?" asks Winsor Williams. He seems surprised by any suggestion that a vintage O'Keefe & Merritt doesn't share the classicism of, say, an antique Daimler & Benz. "Old stoves are just like old cars and old clothes.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|