CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 19, 2013 |
About 70 people in Carson were treated for exposure to fumes from sulfuric acid after a machine malfunctioned and leaked the chemical Monday night, the Los Angeles County Fire Department said. Initial reports indicated that about two dozen workers at a business in the 21000 block of South Maciel Avenue were exposed to the fumes, which can irritate the eyes, nose, skin and lungs. However, the number soon swelled to 70 patients, with 13 of them requiring a trip to the hospital, said L.A. County Supervising Dispatcher Robert Diaz.
May 15, 1988 |
Except for the moan of the wind along the eaves of Craig (Fuzzy) Lewis' weather-beaten tin-roofed shack, it is as quiet as a country graveyard up here at the old Coalinga Sulphur Baths. And it's been that way ever since the 2,000-barrel-a-day oil well started going dry a quarter of a century ago, forcing the bath operation to shut down. Today, the old well, which produced 118-degree water since 1912, yields nary a drop. Lewis has to haul water up from town for his personal use.
July 27, 1993 |
A huge white cloud of sulfuric acid spewed from a ruptured railroad car Monday, engulfing thousands of homes in Contra Costa County and sending more than 3,200 people to hospitals with such symptoms as burning eyes and breathing problems, authorities said. The stinging, smelly chemical poured out of the rail car for more than three hours, creating a cloud 1,000 feet high and up to eight miles wide, before rail yard workers were able to cap the leak.
July 30, 1990 |
Modeling clay used for making prototypes of new automobiles overheated in baking ovens and unleashed a noxious gas today that overcame six people at the Mitsubishi Motor Sales of America complex in Cypress, fire officials said. Four firefighters and two Mitsubishi employees were treated and released at Los Alamitos Medical Center after the 7 a.m. incident. Orange County fire officials evacuated more than 600 employees from the sprawling complex in the 6400 block of Katella Avenue.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
January 21, 1989
A tank of sulfuric acid overflowed at a water treatment plant Friday, but no one was injured and there was no danger to nearby businesses, a Fire Department spokeswoman said. Tustin Water Works reported the spill, which involved about 20 gallons, about 12:30 p.m. Firefighters evacuated a small number of employees at the plant, which is at 235 E. Main St.
February 20, 1989
A sulfuric acid leak at a Pacific Bell office in Alhambra forced the evacuation of 55 workers early Sunday, shutting down operator assistance service in much of Los Angeles for about two hours, officials said. Five operators who complained of breathing problems and nausea were treated at a hospital and released. Alhambra police said workers at the Pacific Bell office at 21 S. 1st St. called authorities about midnight to report a sickening smell in the building.
January 11, 1985 |
A cloud of sulfuric acid leaked from the Nobel Works chemical plant in central Sweden on Thursday and spread over a square-mile area, injuring 10 people who inhaled the fumes and forcing the evacuation of 300 others. Rescue workers said that by early today they had not brought the leak of corrosive gas under control at the plant in the town of 36,000, 200 miles west of Stockholm. "We have tried to disperse the gas with fans around the pipe, but the problem is major," said Fire Chief Lars Ekberg.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 24, 2007 |
An 18-year-old, apparently overcome by fumes, fell into a vat of sulfuric acid and died, police said. His body was discovered by his father Sunday at a circuit-board factory where they both worked. The San Mateo County coroner's office identified the victim as Fernando Jimenez Gonzalez of Redwood City. Jimenez Gonzalez had been submerging circuit boards in the vat at Coastal Circuits, police said.