YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsTeen Drinking

Teen Drinking

November 21, 2013 | By Gary Goldstein
Sweet, slight and frequently familiar, "Geography Club," based on Brent Hartinger's novel about sexual identity among suburban teens, often feels as if it's circling its expiration date. As the would-be heart of the movie, the burgeoning romance between two attractive, closeted 16-year-olds - low-key good guy Russell (Cameron Deane Stewart) and Goodkind High's star quarterback, Kevin (Justin Deeley) - had great potential to take this largely pie-in-the-sky story to some honest, compelling and frankly sexy places.
Before the credits are over for the fast and funny "Can't Hardly Wait" the word ripples through the ranks of capped-and-gowned seniors of Huntington Hills High that the unthinkable has happened: The class of '98's top jock (Peter Facinelli) and its perennial prom queen (Jennifer Love Hewitt) have broken up. This is news of seismic implications--especially for nice-looking but timid Preston (Ethan Embry), who has had a crush on Hewitt's gorgeous Amanda since they were freshmen.
October 3, 2008 | Michael Ordona, Special to The Times
"Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist" is all about love -- love of music, love of New York City and, of course, the gooey, fun kind. It is a teen romantic comedy that largely fits the familiar template but is also fleshed out with atmosphere, a nice blend of broad goofiness and sophistication, and two appealing leads who bring it to life.
December 18, 1998 | Dana Parsons
Beware of old folks railing about youthful indiscretions. How many of us can say we never ditched school on a Thursday morning and drank so much tequila that we wound up in the hospital? Actually, 99.9% of us probably could say that, as could 99.9% of today's students. But when the other 0.1% goes on a morning bender, as a dozen or so students from Orange High School did last week that sent three of them to the hospital, do we brush it off as an aberration?
June 22, 2012 | By Rick Rojas, Los Angeles Times
They came early and they came prepared. For months, Andrew Landsiedel, Adam Redding-Kaufman and Macklin Thornton had been protesting a proposed city ordinance that would fine adults who knowingly provided minors with a place to drink. This week, the three Laguna Beach High School students took center stage in a packed City Council meeting to argue against the measure. Their opposition was formidable - school officials, a deputy district attorney, medical doctors, Mothers Against Drunk Driving, the local PTA and even a tearful father whose only son was killed by a drunk driver.
November 17, 1996
Re "Shopkeeper Sold Liquor in Desert Crash, Jury Finds," Oct. 4: Thumbs up to the Fullerton Municipal Court jurors who convicted liquor store Me-N-Paul's owner Masood Zaman of a misdemeanor and the Alcoholic Beverage Control who decided to restrict sale of alcohol for 30 days and mandate the transfer of the license. Zaman was found guilty for selling 12-packs of beer to minors, who were in an alcohol-related car crash that killed four Katella High School students on July 29, 1995.
May 20, 2001
California State University is considering the adoption of guidelines to help curb student drinking on its 23-campus system, which includes Cal State Fullerton. That's a good idea. But many students start drinking before college. According to Mothers Against Drunk Driving, half of the nation's junior and senior high school students drink at least monthly.
March 14, 1998 | JOHN CANALIS
Police are planning a daylong seminar for teens to graphically demonstrate through a staged car crash the dangers of drinking and driving. Known as "Every 15 Minutes," the program is scheduled to be presented at Fountain Valley High School on April 21, before graduation, prom and other end-of-the-year activities. "Basically, it's every 15 minutes in the United States somebody is killed due to a drunken driver. That's where the name comes from," Police Chief Elvin G. Miali said.
April 9, 1999 | ROSEANN LANGLOIS
About 9,000 contracts will land in mailboxes next week asking the parents of middle and high school students to promise that all social events in the home will be supervised and substance free--meaning no alcohol, drugs or tobacco are allowed to be present.
November 28, 1993
This letter is in response to "Police Actions Causing Teens to Drive Drunk," by Stephanie Zambukos (Letters, Nov. 21). I can't believe the ignorance of some people, blaming the police (yet again, for something else). This time for the high teen DUI rate. Well, since we're blaming people, let's blame the victims, after all, they're the ones who called the police. Or maybe we should blame the parents who knowingly allow their children to attend these parties. Better yet, let's blame the irresponsible juveniles who drink to excess.
Los Angeles Times Articles