May 7, 2009 |
A rights activist and 14 others were ordered freed on bail after Zimbabwe's president and prime minister forced a judge to reverse her decision to return them to prison. Harare Magistrate Catherine Chimanda ignited international outrage Tuesday by revoking bail for human rights advocate Jestina Mukoko and 17 others, saying prosecutors had formally charged them in a terrorism case. She refused to release three of them.
May 12, 2011 |
Two men who officials said complained that Muslims "were being treated like dogs" were accused Thursday of conspiring to blow up a synagogue and were being held on terrorism and hate-crime charges in New York. The men were arrested Wednesday night while they buying guns and an inert hand grenade from undercover officers, Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly said at an afternoon news conference attended by Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and Manhattan Dist. Atty. Cyrus R. Vance Jr. The case began before the killing of terrorist leader Osama bin Laden on May 2 during a U.S. raid in Pakistan.
March 25, 2013 |
WASHINGTON - A Somali suspect who was captured at sea two years ago and interrogated aboard a U.S. warship has pleaded guilty to aiding terrorist groups Al Shabaab and Al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, federal prosecutors said, a success for the Obama administration's efforts to use criminal courts rather than military tribunals to prosecute terrorism. Ahmed Abdulkadir Warsame pleaded guilty to nine counts in December 2011 but the plea was sealed until Monday. He could be sentenced to life in prison.
April 15, 2010 |
A civilian trial in New York for Khalid Shaikh Mohammed and his codefendants in the Sept. 11 terrorism case is still a possibility, Atty. Gen. Eric H. Holder Jr. told senators Wednesday. Testifying before the Senate Judiciary Committee, Holder also said the U.S. would like to capture and question Osama bin Laden, but expects the Al Qaeda leader won't be taken alive.
September 2, 2004 |
The Justice Department conceded Wednesday that in its zeal to win convictions in a terrorism case in Detroit last year, prosecutors engaged in "a pattern of mistakes and oversights" that may constitute criminal misconduct. The case was the first major terrorism prosecution after the Sept. 11 attacks and had been hailed by U.S. Atty. Gen. John Ashcroft as an example of the government's successful campaign to disrupt terrorist "sleeper cells" in the country.
March 7, 2004 |
Last year, as the first major federal trial of a case in the war on terrorism was about to begin in Detroit, U.S. District Judge Gerald Rosen warned prosecutors not to withhold evidence that might help the defense. "Let's not play hide the ball on this," he said. Now, the groundbreaking conviction that followed is in danger of being overturned, because withholding potentially exculpatory evidence is just what Assistant U.S. Atty. Richard G. Convertino and his staff may have done.
December 15, 2009 |
Two Chicago men accused of planning an attack on a Danish newspaper knew beforehand about the terrorist attacks in Mumbai, India, last year that killed nearly 170 people, federal investigators said Monday. In a conversation that investigators said they secretly recorded on a long car ride, U.S. authorities said the two men chatted about how they had known the terrorism rampage was about to begin in which 10 gunmen ran between hotels and other public places shooting people. During the ride, U.S. officials said, Tahawwur Rana asked David Coleman Headley to pass along congratulations to the planner of the attack, a leader of the militant Pakistani organization Lashkar-e-Taiba.