Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsThomas A Gionis
IN THE NEWS

Thomas A Gionis

FEATURED ARTICLES
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
November 19, 1990 | JERRY HICKS, TIMES STAFF WRITER
When Dr. Thomas A. Gionis goes on trial this week accused of ordering the 1988 attack on his ex-wife, Aissa Wayne, and her former boyfriend, the dramatic backdrop for the jury will be the couple's bitter custody battle over their 2-year-old daughter. But the most controversial prosecution evidence could be a few sheets of paper--the kind almost everyone gets in the mail each month from his or her telephone company.
ARTICLES BY DATE
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 16, 1996 | GREG HERNANDEZ, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A state appellate court has settled several lingering issues in the conviction of surgeon Thomas A. Gionis for hiring thugs eight years ago to attack his former wife, Aissa Wayne, daughter of actor John Wayne. The appellate court had reversed Gionis' conviction in 1994 on the basis of improper testimony by an attorney and prosecutorial misconduct. But last year, the state Supreme Court tossed out the lower court's ruling.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 12, 1995
A state appellate court on Thursday refused to free jailed surgeon Thomas Gionis while it decides whether to reverse his conviction for hiring two men to assault his estranged wife, the daughter of late actor John Wayne. Gionis' attorney asked the court to restore the Irvine physician's $2-million bail, which had kept Gionis out of jail while the panel considers an appeal of the 1992 conviction. A Superior Court judge revoked Gionis' bail Monday.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 15, 1991
Dr. Thomas A. Gionis, ex-husband of John Wayne's daughter, pleaded innocent to amended charges at a hearing before his retrial on allegations he hired men to beat her during a bitter child custody battle. A jury deadlocked in the first trial. Gionis, 37, an orthopedic surgeon from Pomona, is accused of ordering an attack on Aissa Wayne and her then-boyfriend, Roger W. Luby, in the garage of Luby's Newport Beach estate on Oct. 3, 1988.
NEWS
June 16, 1990
Jerrel Lee Hintergardt, who stunned even his own lawyer by admitting his involvement in the 1988 assault on John Wayne's daughter and her then-boyfriend, was sentenced Friday to eight years in state prison, the maximum possible term. Hintergardt's attorney told jurors last month that his client was at a Los Angeles hospital for an adjustment on his artificial foot when Aissa Wayne and financier Roger W. Luby were attacked the morning of Oct. 3, 1988, in the garage of Luby's Newport Beach estate.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 11, 1995 | KEN ELLINGWOOD, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Jailed surgeon Thomas Gionis on Wednesday asked a state appellate court to free him while it decides whether to reverse his conviction for hiring two henchmen to attack his estranged wife, the daughter of the late actor John Wayne. Gionis' attorney said a judge acted improperly Monday by revoking Gionis' $2-million bail, which had kept the wealthy Irvine physician out of jail while his 1992 conviction was appealed.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 5, 1995 | MAURA DOLAN and KEN ELLINGWOOD, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
The California Supreme Court ruled Thursday that there was no basis for a lower court's reversal of the conviction of a Norwalk surgeon found guilty of hiring thugs to attack his former wife, a daughter of the late actor John Wayne. The high court's ruling, in effect reinstating the 1992 conviction of Thomas Gionis, clarifies the rules that govern when conversations between a lawyer and a defendant are not confidential.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 20, 1994 | RENE LYNCH, TIMES STAFF WRITER
State lawyers have tried to "smear" the local appellate court in their request for a new hearing in the case of Dr. Thomas Gionis, whose conviction on charges of plotting an attack on John Wayne's daughter was overturned on appeal, Gionis' attorney said.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 29, 1994 | RENE LYNCH, TIMES STAFF WRITER
State lawyers on Monday asked the California Supreme Court to review a lower court's decision reversing the convictions of Dr. Thomas A. Gionis, who was found guilty of orchestrating an attack on the daughter of actor John Wayne during a bitter child custody battle. In a 26-page document filed in San Diego, the state attorney general's office disputed an alleged judicial error and alleged prosecutorial misconduct in the case, and stressed evidence of Gionis' guilt in the Oct.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 2, 1994 | DAN WEIKEL, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The state attorney general will ask the California Supreme Court to throw out an appeals court decision that reversed the convictions of Thomas A. Gionis, a wealthy doctor found guilty in 1992 of orchestrating an assault on the daughter of actor John Wayne during a bitter child custody fight. Deputy Atty. Gen. Rhonda Cartwright-Ladendorf said Tuesday she will challenge a Feb.
NEWS
February 18, 1994 | DAN WEIKEL, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A state appeals court on Thursday threw out the conviction of Dr. Thomas A. Gionis, who was accused of orchestrating an attack on his estranged wife--the daughter of actor John Wayne--and her former boyfriend during a bitter custody dispute five years ago.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
April 5, 1989 | From a Times Staff Writer
Newport Beach police late Tuesday night arrested Pomona surgeon Thomas A. Gionis on suspicion of conspiracy in the brutal attack last October on his ex-wife, Aissa Wayne, and her financier boyfriend. Newport Beach Police Sgt. Steve Van Horn confirmed that Gionis, 35, had been arrested on a warrant in connection with the attack on the daughter of the late John Wayne. He said Gionis was being held without bail on suspicion of conspiracy to commit assault with a deadly weapon.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 31, 1992 | From a Times Staff Writer
A judge Monday rejected several motions to drop assault charges against Dr. Thomas A. Gionis and ordered a retrial to begin Monday. A jury in 1990 could not reach a verdict in Gionis' first trial, in which he was accused of masterminding an attack by three men on his ex-wife, Aissa Wayne, daughter of the late actor John Wayne. Prosecutors alleged that Gionis was trying to intimidate Aissa Wayne as part of a custody dispute over their daughter.
NEWS
February 18, 1994 | DAN WEIKEL, TIMES STAFF WRITER
A state appeals court on Thursday threw out the conviction of Dr. Thomas Gionis, who was accused of orchestrating an attack on his estranged wife--the daughter of actor John Wayne--and her boyfriend during a bitter custody dispute in 1988.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 9, 1992 | MARK I. PINSKY, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Dr. Thomas A. Gionis, convicted of arranging an attack on his ex-wife, the daughter of actor John Wayne, gave up permanent physical custody of the couple's daughter during a court hearing Tuesday. However, Superior Court Judge Myron S. Brown ruled that Gionis could have unmonitored, alternate weekend visits with 5-year-old Anastasia Pilar Wayne while he is free pending appeal of his conviction. "I'm very happy, I'm elated" with the ruling, said Aissa Wayne, Gionis' ex-wife.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|