YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsTugboat


June 18, 1989
A diesel fuel spill apparently caused by last week's sinking of a tugboat in Long Beach forced the brief closing of a small area of beach Saturday in Newport Beach, authorities said. The fuel washed ashore between 17th and 19th streets, and the area was closed for 30 to 40 minutes Saturday morning, said Marine Safety Lt. John Bauer. By afternoon, the sun had evaporated the fuel, he said. The fuel spill occurred Wednesday when a Navy attack submarine accidently snagged the tugboat's towline and dragged the vessel under.
June 16, 1989 | SCOTT HARRIS and JANE FRITSCH, Times Staff Writers
Officials investigating a Navy submarine's sinking of a tugboat off Los Angeles--killing one crewman--are questioning how a submarine equipped with highly sophisticated listening devices failed to avoid the accident. The Houston, a nuclear-powered submarine based in San Diego, sank the tug Barcona before dawn Wednesday when it snagged a 1,000-foot steel cable connecting the tugboat to two empty barges. The sub yanked the tugboat backward and into the water about 10 miles southwest of Long Beach.
June 15, 1989 | SCOTT HARRIS and JAMES RAINEY, Times Staff Writers
A nuclear-powered Navy submarine involved in the making of the film "The Hunt for Red October" accidentally sank a tugboat early Wednesday when it snagged the vessel's tow cable and yanked the boat under water about 10 miles southwest of Long Beach. One crewman of the tugboat Barcona was missing and presumed dead late Wednesday, despite a daylong search that involved four Coast Guard vessels, two helicopters and the Houston--the submarine involved in the accident. The search was suspended shortly before nightfall.
April 27, 1989 | From Times wire service s
An Exxon tanker loaded with 22 million gallons of oil that had lost power and drifted for nearly seven hours was towed into harbor early today to undergo engine repairs, a Coast Guard spokesman said. The 810-foot Exxon Philadelphia had drifted from land in an area without reefs and in water 600 feet deep. Seas were calm and winds were mild. Coast Guard Petty Officer Michael Cobb said the ship arrived at Port Angeles at about 1 a.m. today, under tow by a tugboat. Two other tugboats were dispatched and traveled alongside the tanker in case of problems, Cobb said.
November 17, 1988 | Associated Press
Two U.S. servicemen fell overboard and were killed today in an accident involving three U.S. army tugboats off the port of Praia de Vitoria in the Azores archipelago, a U.S. Embassy official said. A third person was injured, the official said. The two servicemen, whose identities were not disclosed pending notification of next of kin, died 1 1/2 miles east of Praia de Vitoria, off the island of Terceira, said the embassy official in Lisbon.
August 6, 1988 | RONALD B. TAYLOR, Times Staff Writer
With its powerful diesel engines gently rumbling, Capt. Christi Thomas nudged the tugboat Spartan against the huge ship towering over her and shouted to the tug's deckhands to make fast to the Korean vessel. The Auto Champ--a 650-foot car carrier tied up in Los Angeles Harbor--had unloaded hundreds of Asian-built Chevrolets and Fords at Terminal Island and was ready to sail, but needed help getting under way.
May 23, 1988 | Associated Press
A container ship ran across the bow of a tugboat near the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge in New York Harbor on Sunday, dumping the tug's crew of five into the water and sending the vessel to the bottom, authorities said. The crewmen were pulled quickly from the water by workers on a nearby tug. One victim had a broken ankle and another suffered a head injury, a Coast Guard officer said. Authorities said visibility was poor at the time.
February 24, 1988 | United Press International
Four gunshots were fired early today at a tugboat from a bridge connecting Brooklyn and Queens, shattering windows on the pilothouse and injuring the captain in what police said was strike-related violence.
December 28, 1987 | Associated Press
The Herald of Free Enterprise, the British ferry that capsized off Belgium in March, killing 189 people, was adrift in the Indian Ocean today after breaking loose from a tugboat. The tug was hauling the vessel to a scrap yard in Taiwan.
December 15, 1987 | Associated Press
Five seamen washed ashore Monday on Trinidad after surviving six days adrift in a lifeboat in the Caribbean, the Coast Guard said. The men walked into a police station, saying they had been at sea since Dec. 8, when their New Orleans-based tugboat capsized, a Coast Guard spokesman said. They were reported in good condition.
Los Angeles Times Articles