July 16, 1997 |
Radioactive material that would be deposited in the proposed Ward Valley low-level nuclear waste dump near the Colorado River would come largely from nuclear reactors and could be far more toxic than previously portrayed, according to a study by the Congressional Research Service.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
August 26, 1993 |
The California Supreme Court has let stand a lower court ruling that says the Wilson Administration is not required to hold a special hearing on the safety of a proposed low-level nuclear waste dump in the Mojave Desert. In 1992, the Wilson Administration had promised environmental opponents of the dump to hold an adjudicatory hearing in which witnesses would have to testify about the dump under oath.
May 8, 1993 |
A proposed nuclear waste dump in the desolate Mojave Desert moved closer to construction Friday when the state Court of Appeal in Sacramento ruled that the Wilson Administration does not have to hold a hearing to address safety and liability issues related to the dump. In addition, Gov. Pete Wilson on Friday ordered the Department of Health Services to decide within 30 days whether to grant a license for the dump to U.S.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
December 4, 1997
The most compelling argument for building a low-level nuclear waste disposal facility in the California desert at Ward Valley has always been that such waste is accumulating faster than it can be safely disposed of. Now comes a Nebraska economics professor with persuasive evidence that this dump is not needed at all. He also argues that disposal at Ward Valley would be more expensive for hospitals and other waste generators than if they continued to use existing dumps.
February 14, 1992 |
Alarmed that efforts to build a low-level nuclear waste dump in the Mojave Desert are faltering, Arizona Gov. Fife Symington has prodded Gov. Pete Wilson to act promptly to open the facility required by federal law or face possible legal action by Arizona. In an unusually blunt Jan.
January 8, 1993 |
A controversial low-level nuclear waste dump in the Southern California desert cleared a major hurdle Thursday night when Secretary of the Interior Manuel Lujan announced he will proceed with the sale of 1,000 acres of federal land to the state of California before the White House changes hands. Lujan said in a written statement that he is proceeding with a sale of the Ward Valley site at the request of Gov. Pete Wilson.