January 10, 1993 |
Community leaders have begun a petition drive to rally support for housing the Little Tokyo branch library in the historic Union Church building. The Little Tokyo Service Center is spearheading the effort to renovate the long-vacant brick building at 120 N. San Pedro St. so it can house the library along with Visual Communications, a nonprofit media company. The city Board of Library Commissioners has yet to approve the idea.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
March 5, 1998
The former Union Church, a national historic and cultural landmark, has been reborn as the Union Center for the Arts. The long-awaited cultural center, which rose from the ruins of the church built in 1923, will now become home for three of Los Angeles' oldest arts organizations: East West Players, L.A. Artcore and Visual Communications. The centerpiece of the complex is a 250-seat theater.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 4, 1985 |
The old Nishi Hongwanji Buddhist Temple in Little Tokyo has stood empty for years, its windows boarded and pigeon droppings defiling its imitation thatched-roof entryway. Nearby, the old Union Church stands similarly ghostly. For years, a sentence of death hung over these city-owned buildings that once were the centers of social and religious life for Southern California's Japanese-American community. Similarly doomed, it seemed, were the small shops, restaurants and residential hotels nearby.
September 27, 1992 |
The effort to restore the historic Union Church building remains alive, even though a theatrical group has pulled out of the project. The Little Tokyo Service Center hopes to restore the long-vacant brick building at 120 N. San Pedro St. so Visual Communications, a nonprofit media company, and the Little Tokyo Branch Library, can move in. The East West Players had hoped to repair and move into the building but abandoned the plan last fall, mainly because of the estimated $3-million cost.
July 9, 1995 |
The former Union Church building in Little Tokyo looks decrepit, even spooky. So much so that John Carpenter used the city-owned structure--built in 1923 but unused as a church since 1979--as a location for his horror film "Prince of Darkness" in the mid-'80s. Even that use wouldn't be permitted today--the building is still yellow-tagged as a result of the 1994 earthquake.
July 17, 1994 |
The Rev. Carlos Paiva finds it difficult to get any desk work done these days. Instead of peering down a quiet parking lot, the pastor of Angelica Lutheran Church now looks out his window every afternoon to see exuberant youngsters playing basketball and volleyball. "It's very hard to read," the Peruvian-born Paiva said over the din. With a broad smile, he added: "Isn't it wonderful?"