Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsUnion For The Total Independence Of Angola
IN THE NEWS

Union For The Total Independence Of Angola

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
October 6, 1989 | JAMES GERSTENZANG, Times Staff Writer
Jonas Savimbi, the leader of rebels trying to overthrow the Marxist government of Angola, agreed Thursday to return to negotiations intended to end a 14-year civil war in the southern African nation. Savimbi's promise came after prodding from President Bush, who rewarded Savimbi by issuing statements of continued U.S. support for the rebel movement. The Angolan peace effort is directed by President Mobutu Sese Seko of Zaire. Conservatives in this country have kept up pressure on successive U.S.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
October 6, 1989 | JAMES GERSTENZANG, Times Staff Writer
Jonas Savimbi, the leader of rebels trying to overthrow the Marxist government of Angola, agreed Thursday to return to negotiations intended to end a 14-year civil war in the southern African nation. Savimbi's promise came after prodding from President Bush, who rewarded Savimbi by issuing statements of continued U.S. support for the rebel movement. The Angolan peace effort is directed by President Mobutu Sese Seko of Zaire. Conservatives in this country have kept up pressure on successive U.S.
Advertisement
NEWS
September 9, 1990 | Reuters
Angola has accused U.S.-backed UNITA rebels of killing 97 civilians and wounding 184 others in several attacks in the country recently. The government said Thursday night that the National Union for the Total Independence of Angola (UNITA) also destroyed 268 houses, 13 vehicles, a dam, a bridge and power lines carrying electricity to Luanda.
NEWS
January 1, 1988 | Associated Press
Rebels of the National Union for the Total Independence of Angola said Thursday that they used captured Soviet-built tanks and U.S. missiles to seize the strategic railroad town of Munhango in heavy fighting that claimed 128 lives.
NEWS
February 21, 1985 | United Press International
Angolan troops killed 28 guerrillas of Jonas Savimbi's National Union for the Total Independence of Angola and captured 12 in fighting in three provinces between Jan. 29 and Feb. 7, the government news agency reported Wednesday. The dispatch, received in Lisbon, made no reference to army casualties.
NEWS
January 30, 1999 | From Times Wire Reports
Angola's main rebel group said it was battling a heavily armed government regiment for control of the central highland town of Catabola, 60 miles from Andulo, the political and military headquarters of veteran guerrilla leader Jonas Savimbi's National Union for the Total Independence of Angola, or UNITA. He has remained there since 1996. Meanwhile, President Jose Eduardo dos Santos reshuffled his government, taking personal charge of the armed forces' campaign against UNITA.
NEWS
February 21, 1990 | From Times Staff and Wire Reports
Angola and Cuba agreed to resume the withdrawal of Cuban troops from Angola on Sunday. Havana suspended the pullout Jan. 25 after four Cubans died in an attack by rebels of the National Union for the Total Independence of Angola (UNITA). Angola's foreign minister said the two nations asked U.S. guarantees to prevent further attacks.
NEWS
August 14, 1986
Angolan troops have killed 187 guerrillas in recent fighting in eastern Angola, the Angolan Defense Ministry said. Government forces also captured two rebels of the National Union for the Total Independence of Angola, which is backed by South Africa. Angola said earlier that 40 South African troops helping UNITA were killed. UNITA, led by Jonas Savimbi, said that only Angolan rebels, and not South Africans, were battling Angolan troops.
NEWS
February 16, 1990 | United Press International
The Angolan army has killed 175 U.S.-backed UNITA guerrillas in recent fighting across the country, Angola's state-run news agency, Angop, said Thursday. In a report monitored in Lisbon, Angop said troops also captured five rebels and rescued 44 civilians kidnaped by UNITA, the National Union for the Total Independence of Angola. The report said the fighting took place Feb. 7-13.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|