Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsUnited Nations Morocco
IN THE NEWS

United Nations Morocco

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
August 12, 1988
U.N. Secretary General Javier Perez de Cuellar embarked on a new peace initiative by proposing to help settle a dispute between Morocco and a rebel group fighting for the independence of Western Sahara. Perez de Cuellar made the offer to Moroccan Foreign Minister Abdellatif Filali and Bechir Mustafa, a representative of the rebel Polisario Front, during a meeting in his office.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
August 31, 1988
The Moroccan government and Polisario Front guerrillas conditionally approved U.N. peace proposals for the Western Sahara, raising the prospect of an end to almost 13 years of war in the desert territory. A U.N. spokesman said in Geneva that the two sides had accepted a plan calling for a cease-fire and a U.N.-supervised referendum on self-determination in the former Spanish colony. Contents of the plan were not disclosed, and both sides reportedly expressed reservations over details.
Advertisement
NEWS
May 28, 1985 | DAVID LAMB, Times Staff Writer
Last September, shortly after Morocco's King Hassan II shocked Washington by signing a unity treaty with Libya, an American diplomat pulled a visiting journalist aside. "This time, the king's gone too far," he said. "He's stepping over the cliff." Washington, which wants to isolate Libyan leader Moammar Kadafi, felt betrayed by its closest Arab ally. There was even talk on Capitol Hill that Ambassador Joseph V. Reed Jr.'s job was in danger because Hassan's move had caught the U.S.
OPINION
August 22, 2004 | Mitchell Koss, Mitchell Koss is a television news and documentary producer in Los Angeles. His work has appeared on PBS, ABC, MTV, CNN and NBC. He reported this story with Laura Ling.
Last month, Spain's leading investigative magistrate testified that there were 100 Al Qaeda cells in Morocco -- which at its closest to Spain is a mere seven miles away, across the neck of the Mediterranean -- ready to cross over into Europe. The warning came in the aftermath of the March train bombings in Madrid that killed 190 and wounded more than 1,500 people.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|