May 10, 2000 |
Ugandan shells rained down on Rwandan positions, and neither side's forces made a move to leave this Congolese port city Tuesday, a day after both Uganda and Rwanda agreed to withdraw their troops. Rwandan army commanders said their emplacements at Bangoka airport, 10 miles northeast of Kisangani, were targeted by 70 mortar shells from the direction of the Ugandan military base before dawn Tuesday. There were no casualties, and Ugandan military officials refused to comment.
January 28, 2000 |
A U.N. tribunal found a former Rwandan tea factory manager guilty Thursday of three genocide-related charges, including rape, and sentenced him to life in prison. Alfred Musema is the first private citizen tried and convicted by the tribunal, which is prosecuting chief architects and perpetrators of the 1994 genocide of more than 800,000 minority Tutsis and politically moderate Hutus. The three-judge panel found Musema, 50, guilty on one count each of rape, genocide and crimes against humanity.
December 17, 1999 |
In an emotionally searing report, a special commission concluded Thursday that a lack of will and resources prevented the United Nations from stopping the genocide in Rwanda that killed 800,000 people in 1994. The three-member panel placed broad blame--from former Secretary-General Boutros Boutros-Ghali, who rarely attended Security Council meetings and did not allow officials with responsibility for Rwanda to brief council members, to Kofi Annan, the current secretary-general.
December 7, 1999 |
A U.N. court convicted a former Rwandan Hutu militia leader Monday of ordering the deaths of thousands of Tutsis and sentenced him to life in prison for genocide and crimes against humanity. Georges Rutaganda "deliberately participated in the crimes and has not shown the slightest remorse," Judge Laity Kama said. Rutaganda, convicted on three of eight counts of genocide and crimes against humanity, was vice president of the Interahamwe militia.
November 23, 1999 |
Rwanda has refused an entry visa to United Nations war crimes prosecutor Carla del Ponte in protest over the release of a prominent genocide suspect by a U.N. tribunal. The government earlier this month suspended relations with the tribunal after Jean-Bosco Barayagwiza, a leading suspect in the 1994 genocide in which more than 800,000 people died, was freed.
November 7, 1999 |
The Rwandan government suspended cooperation with a U.N. tribunal on Saturday after the court freed on a technicality a former official accused of helping organize the nation's 1994 genocide. The government criticized Wednesday's decision by the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda to immediately release Jean-Bosco Barayagwiza, a former Foreign Ministry official who was being held in Arusha, Tanzania, where the court is based.