February 6, 1997 |
Citing a deadly surge of attacks on humanitarian aid groups, the United Nations withdrew hundreds of expatriate and Rwandan relief workers from western Rwanda in armed convoys Wednesday and sharply curtailed operations in the rest of this increasingly tense country. The emergency pullout from four provinces followed the brutal ambush Tuesday of five U.N.
February 5, 1997 |
Gunmen ambushed a U.N. human rights team in a Hutu stronghold in southwestern Rwanda, killing five people in the third attack on international aid workers in recent weeks. Two human rights monitors, a Briton and a Cambodian, and two Rwandan local employees were killed immediately. A fifth man, also a Rwandan, was shot in the stomach and died after he underwent surgery. In Geneva, U.N.
January 29, 1997 |
The Algerian diplomat appointed as the U.N.'s special envoy to Zaire, Burundi and Rwanda said Tuesday that it may take a huge injection of Western aid--a "mini-Marshall Plan"--to halt the spiral of violence in the war-ravaged Central African nations. Mohamed Sahnoun will go to Africa next week to try to halt the bloodshed, which includes a civil war in Zaire and a cycle of attacks and reprisals by ethnic Hutus and Tutsis in Rwanda and Burundi.
January 10, 1997 |
A former Hutu mayor used the respect his position commanded to order the killing of 2,000 Tutsis, prosecutors argued in opening a U.N. tribunal's first case against a suspect in Rwanda's 1994 genocide. Jean-Paul Akayesu has pleaded not guilty to 12 counts of torture, murder and genocide. Akayesu's lawyers said they intend to challenge the credibility of the 31 prosecution witnesses.
November 26, 1995 |
Demanding aid instead of soldiers, Rwanda has told an 1,800- member U.N. peacekeeping force to leave when the troops' authorization expires in two weeks, Rwandan radio reported Saturday. Such a withdrawal would make it harder for U.N. refugee officials to persuade the 1.2 million Rwandans still living in Zaire and other neighboring countries to return home. The U.N.
September 2, 1995 |
The U.N. tribunal on the Rwandan genocide will issue warrants soon against alleged leaders of the slaughter and will demand that countries where they have taken refuge hand them over, its chief judge said Friday. "We're confident the first indictments will be out by the end of the year," Richard Goldstone, a South African, said during a visit to the Rwandan capital. He said about 400 people are on a list of suspects.
August 26, 1995 |
The United Nations regained jurisdiction over Rwanda's 1.2 million refugees Friday, but its plan to resume sending them home took off sluggishly. Even allowing time to smooth the rough spots, this week's sound and fury over resettlement of exiled ethnic Hutus has served to remind the nations of this Central African region, and the developed world, that peaceful resolution of this predicament could take a year--more likely years.
May 1, 1995 |
As the last of Rwanda's refugee camps was emptied Sunday, it was reported that 14 people had been beaten and stoned to death when they returned home, prompting a U.N. envoy to suggest it may be time to give peacekeepers the power to protect civilians. About 3,400 refugees were trucked back to their villages from the Ndera camp near Kigali, clearing the last official refugee center in the Central African country.
January 26, 1995 |
Secretary General Boutros Boutros-Ghali told a news conference in Geneva that the world body has dropped a plan to send 5,000 peacekeepers to police Rwandan refugee camps in Zaire because more than 40 member states refused to contribute troops to the planned force. The U.N. chief said the task has instead been passed on to the Office of the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees.
September 14, 1994 |
The government lashed out Tuesday at the United Nations for not doing more to investigate Rwanda's genocidal massacres and identify the perpetrators, saying such inaction could turn frustrated Rwandans into vigilantes bent on seeking revenge themselves. "The United Nations is sending commission after commission to investigate a genocide that took place before the cameras of the world," complained Maj. Wilson Rutayisire, a government spokesman.