Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsUnited Nations Zaire
IN THE NEWS

United Nations Zaire

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
November 3, 1996 | BOB DROGIN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Fearful of growing chaos and a widening war, the United Nations safely evacuated the last international aid workers from this embattled city Saturday after bands of rebel fighters backed by Rwandan government soldiers routed the Zairian army and captured the key border enclave. The fall of Goma, and the emergency withdrawal of about 130 terrified expatriates by road to nearby Rwanda, mean that no U.N.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
June 4, 1997 | From Reuters
The U.N. refugee agency urged Congo President Laurent Kabila and other African leaders Tuesday to take steps to protect Rwandan refugees in the wake of the killing last week of an aid worker and four refugees in the eastern Congo. Spokeswoman Pam O'Toole said the Office of the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees is suspending its aid work at Karuba, near Goma, where Kabila's soldiers reportedly carried out the May 29 shooting.
Advertisement
NEWS
February 17, 1997 | From Times Wire Reports
Rebel leader Laurent Kabila, responding to a plea from the United Nations, agreed to delay a threatened attack on the nation's largest refugee camp. Kabila had threatened to assault the Tingi-Tingi camp, which is on the rebels' northern front, this week unless the Office of the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees drove out Rwandans he says are armed by the Zairian government.
NEWS
April 25, 1997 | From Times Wire Services
A United Nations team Thursday discovered that up to 55,000 Rwandan Hutu refugees are missing from a camp in eastern Zaire, and the team was blocked by rebels from a wider search. Not a single Rwandan refugee--dead or alive--could be found at Kasese camp, south of the city of Kisangani. Last week bodies draped in blankets had been laid out in lines at the camp, and many sick refugees there were too weak to walk even one step. "I'm absolutely shocked. There was a camp here four days ago.
NEWS
November 23, 1996 | MARY WILLIAMS WALSH, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Representatives of countries considering how--and whether--to help the refugees of Central Africa gathered here Friday in an atmosphere of continuing confusion over how many Rwandans remain in eastern Zaire and how dire their plight is. Delegates from 28 countries and various humanitarian groups offered differing assessments of the scope of the refugee problem and agreed to continue meeting through the weekend to pool information and seek a common understanding.
NEWS
April 25, 1997 | From Times Wire Services
A United Nations team Thursday discovered that up to 55,000 Rwandan Hutu refugees are missing from a camp in eastern Zaire, and the team was blocked by rebels from a wider search. Not a single Rwandan refugee--dead or alive--could be found at Kasese camp, south of the city of Kisangani. Last week bodies draped in blankets had been laid out in lines at the camp, and many sick refugees there were too weak to walk even one step. "I'm absolutely shocked. There was a camp here four days ago.
NEWS
October 23, 1996 | From Times Wire Services
Fifty-eight relief workers were evacuated Tuesday from eastern Zaire where they had been trapped by fighting between Zairian troops and ethnic Tutsi rebels, the United Nations said. Sadako Ogata, the U.N. high commissioner for refugees, warned that if the fighting doesn't end, "we are . . . heading toward another humanitarian catastrophe." The aid workers were flown from Uvira, a town near Zaire's border with Burundi and Rwanda and the site of four days of heavy fighting.
NEWS
November 8, 1996 | BOB DROGIN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
United Nations agencies and other aid groups scrambled Thursday to prepare emergency cross-border relief operations, but international diplomatic efforts again failed to gain access to more than 1 million Hutu refugees cut off in embattled eastern Zaire. Renewed fighting apparently erupted at the Mugunga refugee camp, about 15 miles west of the border city of Goma, Zaire.
NEWS
April 19, 1997 | JOHN DANISZEWSKI, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In an ominous development threatening more than 100,000 exhausted Rwandan refugees facing starvation and disease in eastern Zaire, rebels blocked the United Nations on Friday from starting a massive airlift to carry them home. The Hutu refugees have been on the run since 1994 and are on their last legs, dying at a rate of about 60 a day, although that rate is half that reported earlier this month. Officials of the Office of the U.N.
NEWS
January 29, 1997 | CRAIG TURNER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The Algerian diplomat appointed as the U.N.'s special envoy to Zaire, Burundi and Rwanda said Tuesday that it may take a huge injection of Western aid--a "mini-Marshall Plan"--to halt the spiral of violence in the war-ravaged Central African nations. Mohamed Sahnoun will go to Africa next week to try to halt the bloodshed, which includes a civil war in Zaire and a cycle of attacks and reprisals by ethnic Hutus and Tutsis in Rwanda and Burundi.
NEWS
April 19, 1997 | JOHN DANISZEWSKI, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In an ominous development threatening more than 100,000 exhausted Rwandan refugees facing starvation and disease in eastern Zaire, rebels blocked the United Nations on Friday from starting a massive airlift to carry them home. The Hutu refugees have been on the run since 1994 and are on their last legs, dying at a rate of about 60 a day, although that rate is half that reported earlier this month. Officials of the Office of the U.N.
NEWS
February 17, 1997 | From Times Wire Reports
Rebel leader Laurent Kabila, responding to a plea from the United Nations, agreed to delay a threatened attack on the nation's largest refugee camp. Kabila had threatened to assault the Tingi-Tingi camp, which is on the rebels' northern front, this week unless the Office of the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees drove out Rwandans he says are armed by the Zairian government.
NEWS
January 29, 1997 | CRAIG TURNER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The Algerian diplomat appointed as the U.N.'s special envoy to Zaire, Burundi and Rwanda said Tuesday that it may take a huge injection of Western aid--a "mini-Marshall Plan"--to halt the spiral of violence in the war-ravaged Central African nations. Mohamed Sahnoun will go to Africa next week to try to halt the bloodshed, which includes a civil war in Zaire and a cycle of attacks and reprisals by ethnic Hutus and Tutsis in Rwanda and Burundi.
NEWS
November 23, 1996 | MARY WILLIAMS WALSH, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Representatives of countries considering how--and whether--to help the refugees of Central Africa gathered here Friday in an atmosphere of continuing confusion over how many Rwandans remain in eastern Zaire and how dire their plight is. Delegates from 28 countries and various humanitarian groups offered differing assessments of the scope of the refugee problem and agreed to continue meeting through the weekend to pool information and seek a common understanding.
NEWS
November 8, 1996 | BOB DROGIN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
United Nations agencies and other aid groups scrambled Thursday to prepare emergency cross-border relief operations, but international diplomatic efforts again failed to gain access to more than 1 million Hutu refugees cut off in embattled eastern Zaire. Renewed fighting apparently erupted at the Mugunga refugee camp, about 15 miles west of the border city of Goma, Zaire.
NEWS
November 3, 1996 | BOB DROGIN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Fearful of growing chaos and a widening war, the United Nations safely evacuated the last international aid workers from this embattled city Saturday after bands of rebel fighters backed by Rwandan government soldiers routed the Zairian army and captured the key border enclave. The fall of Goma, and the emergency withdrawal of about 130 terrified expatriates by road to nearby Rwanda, mean that no U.N.
NEWS
June 4, 1997 | From Reuters
The U.N. refugee agency urged Congo President Laurent Kabila and other African leaders Tuesday to take steps to protect Rwandan refugees in the wake of the killing last week of an aid worker and four refugees in the eastern Congo. Spokeswoman Pam O'Toole said the Office of the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees is suspending its aid work at Karuba, near Goma, where Kabila's soldiers reportedly carried out the May 29 shooting.
NEWS
August 23, 1995 | From Associated Press
Setting fire to huts and looting aid camps, Zairian soldiers forced thousands of refugees back to Rwanda on Tuesday. An additional 60,000 refugees fled into the hills to escape the expulsions. U.N. spokesman Ron Redmond said the removal of refugees from camps in eastern Zaire could turn into a disaster if not stopped. Despite protests from Rwanda and the United Nations, Zaire gave no indication it is going to slow the exodus that sent 10,000 Rwandans across the border Tuesday.
NEWS
October 23, 1996 | From Times Wire Services
Fifty-eight relief workers were evacuated Tuesday from eastern Zaire where they had been trapped by fighting between Zairian troops and ethnic Tutsi rebels, the United Nations said. Sadako Ogata, the U.N. high commissioner for refugees, warned that if the fighting doesn't end, "we are . . . heading toward another humanitarian catastrophe." The aid workers were flown from Uvira, a town near Zaire's border with Burundi and Rwanda and the site of four days of heavy fighting.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|