Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsUnited States Foreign Relations Brunei
IN THE NEWS

United States Foreign Relations Brunei

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
June 20, 1987 | Associated Press
Secretary of State George P. Shultz met Friday with the foreign minister of Brunei, the first such meeting since it was disclosed that the State Department solicited $10 million from Brunei last year for the Nicaraguan contras. Shultz met Foreign Minister Mohammed Bolkiah for half an hour during consultations with members of the Assn. of Southeast Asian Nations. Brunei is a member of the association, along with Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Indonesia and Thailand.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
June 20, 1987 | Associated Press
Secretary of State George P. Shultz met Friday with the foreign minister of Brunei, the first such meeting since it was disclosed that the State Department solicited $10 million from Brunei last year for the Nicaraguan contras. Shultz met Foreign Minister Mohammed Bolkiah for half an hour during consultations with members of the Assn. of Southeast Asian Nations. Brunei is a member of the association, along with Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Indonesia and Thailand.
Advertisement
NEWS
January 7, 1987 | DOYLE McMANUS, Times Staff Writer
The State Department, after soliciting $10 million in aid for the Nicaraguan rebels from oil-rich Brunei, advised the sultan of the Asian nation to ask for a refund because there was no assurance that the money would actually go to the contras , officials said Tuesday. Assistant Secretary of State Elliott Abrams, who had asked the sultan last summer to send the money to White House aide Oliver L.
NEWS
May 13, 1987 | SARA FRITZ, Times Staff Writer
A prominent 60-year-old Swiss shipping magnate with a secret bank account was the mistaken recipient of the long-lost $10-million contribution to the Nicaraguan contras from the Sultan of Brunei, congressional investigators announced Tuesday. The donation, which was deposited in the wrong Swiss account last August because of a high-level mix-up in account numbers, had been the last major financial mystery of the Iran-contra affair.
NEWS
January 17, 1987 | United Press International
The Sultan of Brunei said he provided $10 million to be used for humanitarian purposes in Central America but not for use by the contras in Nicaragua, columnist Jack Anderson reported Friday. The sultan, ruler of the tiny oil-rich nation on the northeastern coast of Borneo, also said that Secretary of State George P. Shultz personally requested the $10-million donation, Anderson said.
NEWS
May 6, 1987 | SARA FRITZ, Times Staff Writer
The Nicaraguan rebels received only $3.5 million of the $18 million from Iran arms sale profits--far less than originally estimated--retired Air Force Maj. Gen. Richard V. Secord said Tuesday on the opening day of congressional hearings into the Iran- contra affair.
NEWS
January 8, 1987 | MICHAEL WINES and DOYLE McMANUS, Times Staff Writers
About 18 months before he allegedly began diverting money from Iranian arms sales to Nicaraguan rebels, Lt. Col. Oliver L. North displayed an office safe stuffed with cash to colleagues at the National Security Council and boasted that it held $1 million, an official familiar with the incident said Wednesday. North told his astonished co-workers that he was holding the cash for transfer to the rebels, although Congress had banned all U.S.
NEWS
May 13, 1987 | SARA FRITZ, Times Staff Writer
A prominent 60-year-old Swiss shipping magnate with a secret bank account was the mistaken recipient of the long-lost $10-million contribution to the Nicaraguan contras from the Sultan of Brunei, congressional investigators announced Tuesday. The donation, which was deposited in the wrong Swiss account last August because of a high-level mix-up in account numbers, had been the last major financial mystery of the Iran-contra affair.
NEWS
May 6, 1987 | SARA FRITZ, Times Staff Writer
The Nicaraguan rebels received only $3.5 million of the $18 million from Iran arms sale profits--far less than originally estimated--retired Air Force Maj. Gen. Richard V. Secord said Tuesday on the opening day of congressional hearings into the Iran- contra affair.
NEWS
January 17, 1987 | United Press International
The Sultan of Brunei said he provided $10 million to be used for humanitarian purposes in Central America but not for use by the contras in Nicaragua, columnist Jack Anderson reported Friday. The sultan, ruler of the tiny oil-rich nation on the northeastern coast of Borneo, also said that Secretary of State George P. Shultz personally requested the $10-million donation, Anderson said.
NEWS
January 8, 1987 | MICHAEL WINES and DOYLE McMANUS, Times Staff Writers
About 18 months before he allegedly began diverting money from Iranian arms sales to Nicaraguan rebels, Lt. Col. Oliver L. North displayed an office safe stuffed with cash to colleagues at the National Security Council and boasted that it held $1 million, an official familiar with the incident said Wednesday. North told his astonished co-workers that he was holding the cash for transfer to the rebels, although Congress had banned all U.S.
NEWS
January 7, 1987 | DOYLE McMANUS, Times Staff Writer
The State Department, after soliciting $10 million in aid for the Nicaraguan rebels from oil-rich Brunei, advised the sultan of the Asian nation to ask for a refund because there was no assurance that the money would actually go to the contras , officials said Tuesday. Assistant Secretary of State Elliott Abrams, who had asked the sultan last summer to send the money to White House aide Oliver L.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|