Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsUnited States Foreign Relations Laos
IN THE NEWS

United States Foreign Relations Laos

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
October 20, 1990 | From Times Staff and Wire Reports
The remains of two American soldiers killed in the last major assault of the Vietnam War were laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery, 19 years after their helicopter was shot down. Vietnam veterans hailed the return of the remains to the United States in July as the result of the first joint U.S.-Laotian search for Americans missing in action. Capt. Keith A. Brandt of Bellingham, Wash., and Lt. Alan B. Boffman of Norfolk, Va.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
December 20, 1993 | From Associated Press
The first coordinated U.S.-Vietnamese-Laotian search for Americans missing in action ended Sunday with mixed results. Searchers discovered new remains and helicopter wreckage but were able to complete only about two-thirds of their cases because of three tropical storms that battered central Vietnam. Their search began Dec. 3.
Advertisement
NEWS
October 7, 1988
American MIA activists dropped into the Mekong River dozens of packets of cash stamped with an offer of $2.4 million for anyone bringing a U.S. prisoner of war safely out of Laos. Earlier, two of the activists were arrested in Laos. About 540 American servicemen are listed as missing in action in Laos after the Vietnam War. U.S. officials say they have no proof that any of the nearly 2,400 Americans missing in Indochina, including those in Laos, are still alive.
NEWS
September 17, 1993 | RICHARD A. SERRANO, TIMES STAFF WRITER
When he was 11 years old, Gregory Stephen Crandall wrote a fictional account about three soldiers who died making sure that their friends lived through a battle. "The company had been saved," the young boy wrote. "Saved to come back and pick up their sacred bodies." Ten years later, Crandall--a 21-year-old Army helicopter pilot during the Vietnam War--was shot down over the jungles of Laos. Now, two decades after he was listed as "killed in action, no body recovered," the U.S.
NEWS
August 13, 1987 | United Press International
U.S. and Laotian officials Wednesday concluded three days of talks on Americans still listed as missing in action from the war in Laos, but there was no immediate indication of the outcome. The U.S. delegation, headed by National Security Council official Richard K. Childress, left Vientiane Wednesday afternoon, sources in the Laotian capital said. A total of 550 Americans are listed as missing in Laos out of more than 2,400 MIAs still unaccounted for in the Indochina War.
NEWS
December 20, 1991 | Reuters
U.S. and Laotian officials will begin a joint four-day investigation today in search of missing American servicemen in Laos, the Defense Department said. This will be the latest in a series of joint activities by the two governments since 1985 in an effort to account for the 2,267 Americans listing as missing in action since the Vietnam War ended in 1975. The United States and Vietnam have had similar investigations.
NEWS
January 25, 1989 | From Associated Press
Government officials from the United States and Laos will meet this week in Vientiane, the Laotian capital, to schedule surveys and excavations in the hunt for American servicemen missing from the Vietnam War, the Pentagon said Tuesday. The meeting will be held Thursday through Saturday. The U.S. delegation will be led by Harriet Isom, the charge d'affaires at the U.S. Embassy in Vientiane.
NEWS
August 7, 1993 | From Times Staff and Wire Reports
American searchers in Laos have found human remains that could be those of U.S. servicemen from the Vietnam War, a U.S. official said. About 30 members of the Pentagon task force are conducting a monthlong search with their Laotian counterparts at aircraft crash sites where Americans were lost. The search is concentrated in the central province of Xieng Khoang, about 75 miles north of the capital, Vientiane.
NEWS
September 22, 1992 | WILLIAM J. EATON, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Two former defense secretaries under Richard M. Nixon testified Monday that the U.S. government believed in 1973 that many American fliers remained in enemy hands in Laos and were not returned with other prisoners at the end of the Vietnam War, despite Nixon's public assurances to the contrary. "As of now, I can come to no other conclusion. (But) that does not mean there are any alive today," said former Defense Secretary James R. Schlesinger, who also once served as head of the CIA.
NEWS
April 25, 1992 | From Times Staff and Wire Reports
A senior Laotian official told visiting U.S. senators that some downed U.S. airmen may have been killed by enraged villagers in Laos during the Vietnam War. The statement by Vice Foreign Minister Soubanh Srithirath helps explain what may have happened to some of the 522 Americans still not accounted for. Unresolved questions about their fate have been a major impediment to improved U.S.-Laos relations. The senators characterized the statement as significant and far-reaching.
NEWS
December 20, 1991 | Reuters
U.S. and Laotian officials will begin a joint four-day investigation today in search of missing American servicemen in Laos, the Defense Department said. This will be the latest in a series of joint activities by the two governments since 1985 in an effort to account for the 2,267 Americans listing as missing in action since the Vietnam War ended in 1975. The United States and Vietnam have had similar investigations.
NEWS
November 14, 1991 | From Times Staff and Wire Reports
President Bush has announced that he will send a U.S. ambassador to Laos for the first time since the 1975 Communist victories over U.S.-backed forces in Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia. The highest-ranking U.S. official in Vientiane has been a charge d'affaires since ties were downgraded in December, 1975. The decision is based on U.S. satisfaction with Vientiane's cooperation in efforts to resolve the fate of the 528 Americans in Laos who remain unaccounted for as a result of the war in Indochina.
NEWS
October 20, 1990 | From Times Staff and Wire Reports
The remains of two American soldiers killed in the last major assault of the Vietnam War were laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery, 19 years after their helicopter was shot down. Vietnam veterans hailed the return of the remains to the United States in July as the result of the first joint U.S.-Laotian search for Americans missing in action. Capt. Keith A. Brandt of Bellingham, Wash., and Lt. Alan B. Boffman of Norfolk, Va.
NEWS
January 5, 1990 | Associated Press
The United States and Laos will conduct a joint excavation of two U.S. aircraft crash sites trying to account for American soldiers missing in action from the Vietnam War, the Pentagon said Thursday. The excavation of the sites in southern Laos, surveyed by U.S. and Laos officials in March and August, 1989, is scheduled to begin today, the Pentagon said in a brief statement. About 2,300 Americans are listed as missing in action from the Vietnam War, about 545 of them in Laos.
NEWS
March 28, 1989
Laos has put on hold plans to cooperate with the United States against drug trafficking because of a U.S. report accusing Laotian government officials of involvement in the drug trade, Deputy Foreign Minister Souban Salitthilat said in Vientiane. "We were absolutely stunned and surprised at the American government report (issued March 1)," Souban said. Before the report, he said, Laos had been prepared to discuss direct U.S. aid and to send officials to the United States for anti-drug training.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|