Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsUnited States Military Aid Kuwait
IN THE NEWS

United States Military Aid Kuwait

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
April 19, 1988 | JAMES GERSTENZANG, Times Staff Writer
U.S. warships and aircraft sank or heavily damaged six Iranian navy ships Monday as a major confrontation erupted in the Persian Gulf in the wake of the United States' early morning strike against two Iranian oil platforms, the Reagan Administration said. U.S. and Iranian forces fired on each other in the broadest and most direct conflict yet, suddenly escalating what for months had been a war of nerves in the volatile waterway. After ordering U.S.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
August 18, 1995 | JIM MANN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The Clinton Administration announced military measures Thursday aimed at increasing the readiness of U.S. forces and equipment available for use against Iraq, in response to what the Pentagon called "unusual movements" by Iraqi armed forces, possibly toward Kuwait. Defense Department officials said they were moving equipment--including tanks, ammunition and supplies available for use by Marines and the U.S. Army--closer to the Persian Gulf.
Advertisement
NEWS
July 16, 1987 | MICHAEL ROSS, Times Staff Writer
As the Reagan Administration proceeds with plans to provide naval escorts for Kuwaiti tankers in the Persian Gulf, diplomats and Arab officials are expressing growing concern that the United States may be drawn into an unpredictable situation with uncontrollable consequences. Until now, the nearly seven-year-old Persian Gulf War, while devastating to the combatants, Iran and Iraq, has had little impact on the outside world. However, the U.S.
NEWS
July 4, 1994 | Reuters
U.S. forces, bolstering Washington's commitment to Persian Gulf security, on Sunday delivered about 30 tanks, artillery pieces and armored vehicles to strengthen an arsenal permanently stationed in Kuwait.
NEWS
July 5, 1987 | From Times Wire Services
A U.S. congressional delegation conferred with Kuwaiti leaders Saturday on a plan for U.S. warships to protect Kuwaiti oil tankers flying the American flag. The delegation, led by Rep. Les Aspin (D-Wis.), chairman of the House Armed Services Committee, includes 11 other congressmen and 15 staff members. It is seeking to evaluate the risks involved in the plan to re-register 11 Kuwaiti oil tankers as American ships and to provide them with U.S. Navy escorts in the gulf.
NEWS
April 18, 1988 | MICHAEL WINES, Times Staff Writer
U.S. warships attacked two strategic Iranian oil platforms today in retaliation for a mine explosion that damaged a Navy frigate and injured 10 American seamen last week, the White House said. Presidential spokesman Marlin Fitzwater said President Reagan "directed U.S. forces at 1 a.m. EDT today to strike" Iranian oil platforms at Sirri and Sassan in the central Persian Gulf.
NEWS
September 30, 1987 | From Times Wire Services
U.S. warships on Tuesday escorted a Kuwaiti tanker southward toward a major Persian Gulf shipping channel where British minesweepers spotted at least one mine, believed planted by Iran, witnesses and shipping sources said. Meantime, suspected Iranian Revolutionary Guards attacked a Greek-flagged tanker in the southern gulf on Tuesday night, just hours after Iraqi warplanes set an Iranian oil tanker aflame in the north, shipping officials reported.
NEWS
July 4, 1988 | From a Times Staff Writer
Here is a chronology of major military events in the Persian Gulf naval warfare that have involved the United States: Sept. 22, 1980--After months of minor border clashes, the Iran-Iraq War begins. U.S. proclaims neutrality but says that oil must keep flowing through the gulf. Dec. 10, 1986--Kuwait asks U.S. protection against Iranian attacks on its oil tankers in the Persian Gulf through a controversial re-flagging program.
NEWS
September 23, 1987 | JOHN M. BRODER and MICHAEL ROSS, Times Staff Writers
The U.S. helicopter attack on an Iranian mine-laying vessel in the Persian Gulf on Monday left three crewmen dead and two missing, and 10 mines were captured by Navy commandos who boarded the ship, the Pentagon said Tuesday. Iran, warning that it will make America regret its "wicked acts," demanded that the United States hand over the remainder of the ship's crew.
NEWS
July 4, 1988 | JOHN M. BRODER and MELISSA HEALY, Times Staff Writers
A U.S. warship, mistaking a commercial Iranian airliner for a warplane, shot the jet down during a naval skirmish in the Persian Gulf on Sunday. Officials in Tehran said that 290 passengers and crew aboard Iran Air Flight 655 were killed. President Reagan said officers aboard the American guided missile cruiser Vincennes, which was battling with several Iranian gunboats, believed the jetliner was an attacking Iranian F-14 fighter and fired two surface-to-air missiles at it at 10:54 a.m.
NEWS
April 9, 1993 | MARK FINEMAN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The emir sent one of his best Boeing 747 passenger jets out for alterations this week--a royal bedroom suite, a formal dining room, several posh guest rooms and decor fit for a king. It was standard travel fare for the leader of one of the world's richest nations. But the jumbo jet that Sheik Jabbar al Ahmed al Sabah took out of service from the Kuwait Airlines fleet was not for the emir.
NEWS
January 16, 1993 | KIM MURPHY, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The first of more than 1,000 U.S. troops touched down on a wind-swept runway here Friday, preparing to move north into the desert as a new show of allied force against any threats from Iraq. Senior Kuwaiti military commanders greeted the first 350 troops from the Army's 1st Cavalry Division, based at Ft. Hood, Tex., as they debarked from a chartered jumbo jet and prepared to pick up tanks, armored personnel carriers and artillery positioned at a military camp on the Kuwaiti coast.
NEWS
January 15, 1993 | KIM MURPHY, TIMES STAFF WRITER
After spending a long night worrying about a possible Iraqi retaliatory strike, Kuwait put its armed forces on full alert Thursday and awaited the arrival of 1,300 new U.S. troops. But Kuwaiti officials said they are "quite confident" that Baghdad will not respond militarily to Wednesday's allied raid against Iraq. "I can assure you that Kuwait is well protected, civilians are well protected and the border is well protected," Information Minister Saud al Sabah told reporters.
NEWS
May 5, 1991 | KIM MURPHY, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Rebuffed in its request for a long-term U.S. troop presence inside its borders, Kuwait is prepared to consider an alternative plan to deploy 25,000 or more troops from Egypt, Syria and the six Persian Gulf countries, according to government officials and diplomats in the Kuwaiti capital. Foreign ministers from the six-member Gulf Cooperation Council will meet here today to consider proposals for ensuring the future security of the Gulf region.
NEWS
January 28, 1991 | CHARLES P. WALLACE, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Kuwait's flag fluttered over its territory for the first time in nearly six months Sunday when Kuwaiti military officers landed on a tiny island captured last week. "I kissed the sand and raised the flag of my homeland," said a Kuwaiti navy captain. "We are the first Kuwaitis to return to our country since Saddam (Hussein) invaded, but soon many more will follow. It is a matter of time before he is forced to leave."
NEWS
November 21, 1990 | JIM MANN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The Bush Administration is planning to start passing the tin cup overseas once again, seeking a new round of financial contributions from foreign governments to help pay for the mounting costs of the U.S. troop deployment in the Persian Gulf, Administration sources said this week.
NEWS
August 18, 1987 | MICHAEL ROSS, Times Staff Writer
U.S. Navy helicopters practiced minesweeping maneuvers in the Persian Gulf on Monday as a new convoy of Kuwaiti tankers prepared to leave Kuwait escorted by American warships. The convoy of several U.S. warships and three Kuwaiti tankers, re-registered as American vessels, was assembled off Kuwait's Al Ahmadi oil terminal at the northern end of the gulf, awaiting word from the Navy on when to proceed.
NEWS
August 23, 1987 | MICHAEL ROSS, Times Staff Writer
The air war between Iran and Iraq intensified Saturday, while in the Persian Gulf, another convoy of Kuwaiti tankers, re-registered under the American flag, sailed under the escort of U.S. warships. Four tankers loaded with oil and gas slipped out of the anchorage at the Kuwaiti oil terminal of Al Ahmadi, at the northern end of the Gulf, before dawn Saturday for what should be, barring any hitches, a two-day run down the waterway, shipping sources said.
NEWS
January 15, 1989
The U.S. naval force in the Persian Gulf is being trimmed again, leaving the fleet with six surface fighting ships, the lowest number since the mid-1987 buildup that began as the Iraq-Iran War escalated. As the missile cruiser Josephus Daniels and three missile frigates left the waterway in recent days, three newly arriving vessels entered to begin their three-month duty tours.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|