Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsUnited States Military Bases Saudi Arabia
IN THE NEWS

United States Military Bases Saudi Arabia

FEATURED ARTICLES
NEWS
June 24, 2001 | NORMAN KEMPSTER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Saudi Arabia is reacting angrily to the U.S. criminal charges filed last week in connection with the 1996 bombing of an American military barracks there, adding a new irritant to U.S.-Saudi relations at a time when Secretary of State Colin L. Powell hopes to win the support of the kingdom for Middle East peace efforts.
ARTICLES BY DATE
NEWS
June 24, 2001 | NORMAN KEMPSTER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Saudi Arabia is reacting angrily to the U.S. criminal charges filed last week in connection with the 1996 bombing of an American military barracks there, adding a new irritant to U.S.-Saudi relations at a time when Secretary of State Colin L. Powell hopes to win the support of the kingdom for Middle East peace efforts.
Advertisement
NEWS
June 28, 1996 | PAUL RICHTER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
In her steamy native Georgia, this American woman's short-sleeved top would have been considered only sensible. On the streets of Dhahran, revealing her elbows was enough to provoke a scolding from one of the officially sanctioned religious policemen who watch for breaches of Saudi tradition. " 'You should cover your arms!' he told me. 'Does your husband know you are about like this?' " recalled the woman, the wife of an American businessman. "I thought: 'I'll never adjust to this place.'
NEWS
May 23, 1998 | JOHN DANISZEWSKI, TIMES STAFF WRITER
There was no foreign involvement in the June 1996 bombing that killed 19 U.S. military personnel at their Khobar Towers housing complex in Dhahran in eastern Saudi Arabia, the Saudi interior minister said Friday. The statement, the first definitive Saudi finding in a nearly two year investigation, seemed to rule out earlier hints that Iran or the Iranian-backed Hezbollah movement in Lebanon's Bekaa Valley had played a role in the worst anti-U.S. terrorist attack in the Persian Gulf.
NEWS
June 18, 1997 | ROBERT L. JACKSON and CRAIG TURNER, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
U.S. authorities expressed optimism Tuesday that a Saudi dissident deported to the U.S. will now provide crucial leads about the perpetrators of last June's terrorist bombing in Saudi Arabia that killed 19 American service personnel. The suspect, Hani Abdel Rahim Hussein Sayegh, was sent from Canada on Tuesday in time for a federal court hearing today, according to Michael Wildes, his U.S. lawyer. After weeks of on-again, off-again negotiations with U.S.
NEWS
June 19, 1997 | From Times Wire Reports
A Saudi dissident linked to the truck bombing that killed 19 U.S. service personnel in Saudi Arabia last June was charged with an earlier, unsuccessful plot to kill Americans in the desert kingdom on behalf of a terrorist organization. The one-count federal grand jury indictment is part of a deal in which Hani Abdel Rahim Hussein Sayegh has agreed to tell what he knows about last year's Khobar Towers bombing that killed the Americans.
NEWS
April 13, 1997 | Washington Post
U.S. and Saudi intelligence authorities have linked a senior Iranian government official to a group of Shiite Muslims suspected of bombing an American military compound in Saudi Arabia last year, according to U.S. and Arab officials. Intelligence information indicates that Brig. Ahmad Sherifi, a senior Iranian intelligence officer and a top official in Iran's Revolutionary Guard, met about two years before the bombing with a Saudi Shiite arrested last month in Canada, the officials said.
NEWS
March 30, 1997 | From Times Wire Reports
Tehran denied it is harboring the alleged mastermind of last year's bombing in Saudi Arabia that killed 19 U.S. servicemen, saying such reports were designed to sabotage Saudi-Iranian relations. A report in the U.S. paper Newsday said American and Canadian intelligence officials believe a Saudi Shiite who planned the June 25 bombing near Dhahran is being protected by the Iranians--a sign Iran might have had a role in the attack. U.S.
NEWS
August 16, 1996 | ART PINE and RONALD J. OSTROW, TIMES STAFF WRITERS
The Clinton administration is having increasing difficulty getting Saudi Arabia to share information from its investigation of the truck-bombing that killed 19 American airmen in Dhahran on June 25. U.S. officials, for example, were unable to confirm from their Saudi counterparts reports from London on Wednesday that the Saudis had obtained confessions from six suspects in the bombing.
NEWS
June 29, 1996 | ART PINE, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The Clinton administration is intensifying pressure on Saudi Arabia to provide fuller access to information about political tensions in the country in the wake of this week's bombing of an American military housing complex near Dhahran. Defense Secretary William J. Perry is expected to raise the issue during discussions with top Saudi officials today in hopes of enabling U.S.
NEWS
October 10, 1997 | ROBIN WRIGHT, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The letter delivered to the U.S. Embassy in Ottawa last April was written by hand in Arabic. Its author, a 28-year-old Saudi dissident, offered an intriguing deal: In exchange for his protection from the Saudi and Iranian governments, he would provide inside information about the 1994 Khobar bombing in Saudi Arabia, which killed 19 U.S. airmen and injured another 384.
NEWS
September 9, 1997 | ROBIN WRIGHT, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The Justice Department, its case weakened by Saudi Arabia's failure to provide sufficient evidence or intelligence to U.S. investigators, moved Monday to dismiss terrorism charges against the Saudi dissident suspected of involvement in the 1996 bombing that killed 19 U.S. servicemen in Saudi Arabia. At a court hearing scheduled for Wednesday, U.S. attorneys will ask instead to have suspect Hani Abdel Rahim Hussein Sayegh deported, a Justice Department statement disclosed.
NEWS
August 1, 1997 | NORMAN KEMPSTER, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Defense Secretary William S. Cohen on Thursday blocked the scheduled promotion of the Air Force one-star general who commanded U.S. forces in Saudi Arabia at the time of last year's terrorist attack on a military housing complex, ruling that the officer failed to take adequate precautions in the face of a growing security threat. Cohen's controversial decision effectively ended the military career of Brig. Gen. Terryl J.
NEWS
July 31, 1997 | ROBERT L. JACKSON, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The FBI's investigation of last year's terrorist bombing in Saudi Arabia that killed 19 American service members suffered a major setback Wednesday when a key Saudi suspect refused to honor his agreement to cooperate with U.S. authorities. The suspect, Hani Abdel Rahim Hussein Sayegh, who was deported here from Canada last month, pleaded not guilty in federal court to conspiracy charges he previously had acknowledged as part of a negotiated agreement.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 13, 1997 | MARTHA L. WILLMAN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The night of June 25, 1996, is etched in the memory of a Valley man stationed at the time by the Air Force in Saudi Arabia. It was the night a truck bomb ripped through the Khobar Towers military housing complex, killing 19 Americans. Air Force Maj. Chuck Mitchell vividly remembers shoving a buddy ahead of him under a pool table as the walls and ceiling crashed down on them. His buddy was not hurt, but Mitchell suffered injuries to his neck and back. Nonetheless, he didn't wait for help.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 13, 1997 | MARTHA L. WILLMAN, TIMES STAFF WRITER
The night of June 25, 1996, is etched in the memory of Air Force Maj. Chuck Mitchell. It was the night a truck bomb ripped through the Khobar Towers military housing complex in Saudi Arabia, killing 19 Americans. Mitchell vividly remembers shoving a buddy ahead of him under a pool table as the walls and ceiling crashed down on them. His buddy was not hurt, but Mitchell suffered injuries to his neck and back.
NEWS
June 1, 1996 | From Associated Press
Saudi authorities Friday beheaded four Muslim militants who blew up a U.S.-run military facility in Riyadh, killing five Americans and two Indians. The convicts, all Saudi Arabians, were executed despite threats by underground extremists that they would attack American interests in the kingdom if the four were punished for the Nov. 13 attack.
NEWS
December 25, 1996 | ROBIN WRIGHT, TIMES STAFF WRITER
Iranian forces deployed in and along the Persian Gulf have gone on high alert in anticipation of a U.S. military strike, retaliating for Iran's alleged role in the June bombing of American airmen in Saudi Arabia, U.S. officials said Tuesday. The move is part of a "concerted Iranian effort" in recent days to try to control the damage from a Saudi-led campaign to finger Iran for the terrorist bombing that killed 19 U.S.
NEWS
July 11, 1997 | Associated Press
A court hearing for a suspect in a bombing that killed 19 U.S. service personnel in Saudi Arabia was postponed Thursday to allow the defense time to gather information about the case. Hani Abdel Rahim Hussein Sayegh has maintained his innocence in that act of terrorism. But he has been indicted on charges relating to an earlier, unsuccessful plot against Americans. The Saudi had agreed to plead guilty in connection with the earlier plot and tell U.S.
NEWS
July 8, 1997 | From Times Staff and Wire Reports
A suspect in an attack on an American military complex in Saudi Arabia that killed 19 servicemen last year says he was in Iran during the bombing, the New York Times reported. Hani Abdel Rahim Hussein Sayegh, accused of serving as a driver and lookout in the attack, said an airline manifest and passport show he went to Iran shortly before the June 25, 1996, blast at al-Khobar Towers and flew from there to Kuwait a short time later.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|