Advertisement
YOU ARE HERE: LAT HomeCollectionsUsc Students
IN THE NEWS

Usc Students

CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 27, 2013 | By Jason Song
After four people were shot at a Halloween party on the USC campus last year, university officials reacted swiftly. They ordered new security measures for the next semester, including restricting access to the campus at night, requiring that late-night visitors preregister and show identification, and mandating that student clubs have more security for many evening events. Students say that although the new rules may have increased safety, they have also reduced the quality of campus life by making it expensive for clubs to bring speakers and entertainment to campus.
Advertisement
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 21, 2013 | By Jason Song
Joining a growing list of students who allege that their colleges and universities have mishandled alleged sexual assault cases, seven current and former University of Connecticut students said Monday that they have filed a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education. Some of the students are represented by Los Angeles attorney Gloria Allred, who said in a news conference in Hartford that students "feel that they have been betrayed by UConn, which has failed to keep them safe and betrayed them once they reported what happened to them.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 7, 2013 | By Jill Cowan
A Los Angeles County Superior Court judge ruled Monday that two men will stand trial for murder in the deaths of two USC graduate students from China who were shot in an apparent robbery. Judge Stephen A. Marcus said that there was "more than enough" evidence tying Bryan Barnes, 21, and Javier Bolden, 20, to the April 11, 2012, slayings. Ying Wu and Ming Qu, both 23, were fatally shot as they sat in a BMW parked outside a house near the campus. The students' cellphones had been stolen.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
October 7, 2013 | By Jill Cowan
The deaths of Ying Wu and Ming Qu, two USC graduate students from China, puzzled investigators. The two had been fatally shot while sitting in Qu's parked BMW on a rainy April night in 2012, and authorities struggled to find a motive. Both, however, were missing their phones. In the end, prosecutors said, it was Wu's stolen black iPhone that led investigators to the suspected shooters. On Monday, a Los Angeles County Superior Court judge ruled that Bryan Barnes, 21, and Javier Bolden, 20, will stand trial for the students' deaths.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 22, 2013 | By Jason Song
The U.S. Department of Education is investigating USC for failing to properly investigate claims of rape and sexual assault, officials said Monday. The case is the latest in a series of investigations looking at sexual assault allegations at colleges and universities throughout the nation, including reported cases at Occidental College and Dartmouth University. Occidental officials have hired two former sex crimes prosecutors to complete an extensive review of the university's handling of sexual abuse cases.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
July 22, 2013 | By Jason Song
A USC student said Monday that she believes university officials performed a shoddy investigation when she told them last year that she had been raped by her then-boyfriend in 2010. Tucker Reed, who has blogged extensively about her alleged rape, said that she informed USC officials about the incident in December 2012, after she told police. But school officials told Reed, who recently finished her junior year, that they could not do anything because there was not enough evidence.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 26, 2013 | By Robert J. Lopez
Misdemeanor charges have been dropped against six USC students arrested during an off-campus house party in early May, authorities said Wednesday. The Los Angeles city attorney's office said charges were being dropped because of a lack of evidence. There was no "reasonable likelihood of conviction," City Atty. Carmen Trutanich said in a statement. The students were arrested after a clash with Los Angeles Police Department officers at the May 4 party that was mostly attended by African American students.
BUSINESS
June 12, 2013 | By DiAngelea Millar, Los Angeles Times
Forty crew members were set up inside of Banco Popular building in downtown Los Angeles. Some angled the lights and cameras toward a staircase, preparing to film a character running out of the building after an altercation. High walls of marble cast shadows inside the building as the crew began shooting a pilot episode of "D-Tec," a TV crime drama set in the future. Producer Richard King hopes the series will get sold to a network or an online distributor. PHOTOS: Hollywood Backlot moments FOR THE RECORD: Student film production: In the June 12 Business section, an article about the rise in student film production in L.A. said that director Francis Ford Coppola was an alumnus of USC. Coppola is a graduate of UCLA.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 30, 2013 | By Matt Stevens
The Los Angeles city attorney's office said Thursday that it had not dropped charges against six USC students arrested during an off-campus party , contesting statements made earlier by an attorney for the students. “No decision has been made on filing the case,” officials said in a statement. “The city attorney's office is gathering evidence and the case remains under review.” The statement came shortly after attorney Fred Dorton “conveyed the impression that the case against his clients had been dropped,” the city attorney's office said.
Los Angeles Times Articles
|