CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 25, 1997 |
Hundreds of Japanese American veterans of the Korean War gathered in Little Tokyo on Saturday for the unveiling of a memorial wall honoring their fallen comrades, who died more than four decades ago in what has become known as this country's "forgotten war." "If heroism is measured by the sacrifice of life, then our true heroes are the ones who have their names etched on the memorial wall we're dedicating today," said Bob Wada, president of the Japanese American Korean War Veterans.
April 30, 2012
Re "Vets struggle to go from war to work," April 26 Veterans are a minority group representing about 8% of our nation's population, selflessly serving on behalf of the other 92%. They pledged their lives to defend our Constitution, which protects the many freedoms we take for granted. Some delivered on that pledge, while many are disabled for life from their military injuries. AMVETS, a national veterans organization, proposed a federal law to include veterans as a protected class against employment discrimination that currently includes race, age, gender, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity.
June 27, 2013 |
Using his Nikon D7000, Michael Ares snapped this haunting photo at The Arlington West Memorial next to the Santa Monica Pier. Each Sunday from sunrise to sunset, the temporary memorial is set up by Veterans For Peace , a non-governmental organization committed to "raising public awareness of the true costs and consequences of military and war. " Follow Trishna Patel on Twitter. Each week, we're featuring photos of Southern California submitted by readers.
July 24, 2010
Teams can get burned hanging onto expendable veterans too long. The Royals likely lost David DeJesus for the season with a torn ligament in his thumb when he crashed into the wall at Yankee Stadium on Thursday night, and saw Jose Guillen hurt his value when he cost the Royals a run by not hustling in the same game. The Giants were scouting Guillen when he failed to get across the plate from second before Wilson Betemit was thrown out trying to stretch a single into a double. … Don Mattingly has been considered a manager in waiting by the Dodgers.
September 23, 2012
Re "Senate GOP blocks veterans jobs measure," Sept. 20 I see the "party of no" is at it again. The Republicans in Congress don't care who they hurt, even the brave warriors who lay their lives on the line for our country. The recent jobs bill for veterans was blocked by Senate Republicans last week. It was designed to help veterans who served in Iraq and Afghanistan since the 9/11 attacks. It was being paid for, as The Times writes, by "imposing penalties on Medicare providers and suppliers who are delinquent on taxes and by collecting back taxes on others.
August 15, 2012 |
"Stars Earn Stripes," NBC's military-themed reality competition show in which celebrities compete in a series of physical challenges, debuted Monday to a modest audience of 5.1 million viewers. But based on the number of people voicing their displeasure with it, it could be the most controversial show of the summer. The show, which features former Delta Force, Navy SEALS, Green Berets and Marines training celebrities such as Nick Lachey, Todd Palin and WWE wrestler Eve Torres in everything from helicopter drops to long-range weapons firing, has received heavy criticism from veterans groups, Nobel Peace Prize winners and Sharon Osbourne.