July 30, 2012 |
CENTENNIAL, Colo. -- Victims of the Aurora movie-theater shooting-- one in a wheelchair -- and many of their relatives came to the Arapahoe County Courthouse on Monday morning as the prosecution and defense teams prepared to hear the charges against suspect James E. Holmes. Holmes has been in custody since the July 20 shooting that left 12 dead and 58 injured in the shooting in the Denver suburb. He is expected to face a range of charges including first-degree murder. Relatives of the youngest shooting victim killed, 6-year-old Veronica Moser-Sullivan, were among the first in line for one of 35 courtroom seats reserved for victims and their family members.
August 11, 2012 |
First Lady Michelle Obama made a surprise visit Saturday to a hospital in Aurora, Colo., where she met victims wounded in last month's shootings at a premiere screening of"The Dark Knight Rises. " At the Medical Center of Aurora, Obama thanked doctors, nurses and staff who took care of some of those wounded in the July 20 attack. She also met with some of the shooting victims and their families, including one of the two patients who remain in the intensive care unit. Police say James E. Holmes, 24, opened fire during a midnight screening of the new Batman movie, killing 12 people and wounding 58. Holmes faces 142 criminal charges , including 24 counts of first-degree murder.
November 9, 2012 |
MIDDLETOWN, N.J. -- In a sign of how long the rebuilding effort in the Northeast will take, the Federal Emergency Management Agency is shipping in temporary, manufactured homes for displaced residents. About 317,000 people across the region have registered for FEMA assistance, and an estimated $314 million has been allocated for about 61,000 recipients, mostly for rental assistance. The cost and number of registrants is expected to grow. At least 110 people were killed and thousands displaced since Superstorm Sandy caused an estimated $50 billion in damage and economic loss from the Carolinas inland to the Ohio Valley and all the way north to Maine.
January 2, 2013 |
This post has been corrected, as indicated below. A Connecticut lawyer has withdrawn -- for now -- a $100-million lawsuit against the state of Connecticut on behalf of a 6-year-old survivor of the Newtown school shooting in which 20 young children were killed. According to the Washington Post, New Haven-based attorney Irving Pinsky might resubmit the claim after evaluating new evidence. The basis of Pinsky's claim is that the state Board of Education, Department of Education and education commissioner failed to take appropriate steps to protect children at the Sandy Hook Elementary School from "foreseeable harm" and had failed to provide a "safe school setting.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
June 10, 2013 |
Friends and family of Carlos and Marcela Franco gathered on Sunday evening to remember a father and daughter who were gunned down during the violent rampage in Santa Monica on Friday. Marcela's aunt Margaret Quinones-Perez said her niece was outgoing and curious. An aspiring clinical psychologist, she was known to greet strangers with a disarming smile and a series of penetrating questions. "To us she was radiant, so beautiful and sassy," Quinones-Perez said She described Carlos Franco as a man who took great pride in providing for his family.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
May 8, 2013 |
A woman killed over the weekend in a Bay Area limousine fire was going to have a wedding on a hilltop in the Philippines, her family said. Neriza Fojas, 31, had already had a civil wedding ceremony in Las Vegas with her husband, Carlo Moya, but was planning another June 19 on a Manila hilltop, her father told the San Francisco Chronicle . She was scheduled for a gown fitting and was expected to arrive in the Philippines on June 2. ...
July 21, 2012 |
WASHINGTON -- President Obama will travel to Colorado on Sunday to meet with families of the victims of the Aurora movie theater shooting rampage, the White House announced Saturday. He will also meet with local and state officials on his visit, which he is making ahead of a previously scheduled three-day trip to Western states for official and campaign events. The president cut short a campaign trip in Florida on Friday after learning of the tragedy and returned to the White House for meetings with senior officials to discuss the situation.
December 15, 2012 |
The Connecticut medical examiner on Saturday released the names of the shooting victims from Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. All 26 victims died of gunshot wounds, Connecticut's chief medical examiner, Dr. Wayne Carver II, said at a news conference. The deaths have been ruled homicides. All names and dates of birth were provided by the office of the chief medical examiner. Charlotte Bacon, 6 2/22/06 Daniel Barden, 7 9/25/05 Rachel Davino, 29 07/17/83 Olivia Engel, 6 7/18/06 Josephine Gay, 7 12/11/05 Ana M. Marquez-Greene, 6 4/4/06 Dylan Hockley, 6 3/8/06 Dawn Hochsprung, 47 6/28/65 Madeleine F. Hsu, 6 7/10/06 Catherine V. Hubbard, 6 6/8/06 Chase Kowalski, 7 10/31/05 Jesse Lewis, 6 6/30/06 James Mattioli, 6 3/22/06 Grace McDonnell, 7 11/4/05 Anne Marie Murphy, 52 7/25/60 Emilie Parker, 6 5/12/06 Jack Pinto, 6 5/6/06 Noah Pozner, 6 11/20/06 Caroline Previdi, 6 9/7/06 Jessica Rekos, 6 5/10/06 Avielle Richman, 6 10/17/06 Lauren Rousseau, 30 6/82 Mary Sherlach, 56 02/11/56 Victoria Soto, 27 11/04/85 Benjamin Wheeler, 6 9/12/06 Allison N. Wyatt, 6 7/03/06
August 14, 2012 |
Hours after a gunman killed a constable and a bystander before dying in a shootout with police, the mayor of College Station, Texas, called Monday's events tragic and extended condolences to victims and thanks to the police. Brazos County Constable Brian Bachmann was serving a foreclosure notice near Texas A&M University when he was shot. Police identified the gunman as Thomas Caffall, 35, and the bystander as Chris Northcliff, 43. Brachmann was 41. An unidentified 55-year-old woman was wounded and hospitalized in serious condition.
June 23, 2012 |
On the steps of the courthouse where a jury convicted Jerry Sandusky of sexually abusing young boys, Pennsylvania Atty. Gen. Linda Kelly thanked the victims who faced a packed courthouse -- and their attacker - to tell their stories. “The victims… have shown great strength and courage, candidly and sometimes chillingly telling their stories,” Kelly said. “Not only to the jury in a packed courtroom… but also to the entire world.” After 21 hours of deliberation at the Centre County Courthouse in Bellefonte, Pa., a jury of seven women and five men on Friday night convicted the former Penn State coach of 45 charges related to the sexual assault of 10 boys over a 15-year period.