CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
September 21, 1990 |
Three city workers killed July 12 in an underground explosion in Pasadena had no idea that a live, 4,000-volt electrical line in the vault had malfunctioned hours earlier, city officials said Thursday. Because no one knew about the problems on the line, current was allowed to flow while the three worked on an adjacent 17,000-volt line. While the three were in the underground vault, the 4,000-volt line exploded, killing them instantly.
August 30, 2013 |
General Motors Co. was reeling from its bankruptcy and federal bailout when it launched the Chevrolet Cruze small car - one of the few projects it could pull off amid the financial and political turmoil. That day in September 2010 marked the rebirth of the automaker, says Mark Reuss, president of GM's North American operations. The Cruze quickly became one of the world's bestselling passenger cars. It proved that truck-centric GM could reap big profits on a small car, with no need for profit-robbing incentives and discounting.
July 22, 1985 |
Two country club lifeguards using an aluminum pole to untangle a rope on a flagpole were electrocuted when the pole touched a 7,200-volt power line, investigators said Sunday.
July 1, 2010
2010 Club Car Villager 2+2 Base price: $8,510 Price as tested: $8,783 Powertrain: 48-volt DC motor, 350-amp DC controller, 48-volt lead-acid battery pack, direct drive Horsepower: 5 Range per charge: 20 to 30 miles Maximum speed: 25 mph Dry weight: 1,129 lbs. $7,659 after 10% federal tax credit through Dec. 31, 2011 Final thoughts: Low-cost commute for light traffic
March 7, 1985 |
John Paul Witt died in Florida's electric chair Wednesday for murdering and sexually mutilating an 11-year-old boy. Witt, 42, was pronounced dead at 7:10 a.m. from a single 90-second surge of 2,000-volt current in the electric chair at Florida State Prison.
March 6, 2011
The "Travel Checklist" in your ultimate travel guide ["Trip Tips? In the Bag," Feb. 27] was great, but you may want to suggest including electrical adapters (plugs) for countries where travelers want to use or recharge their electronics. There are various websites with this invaluable info. You might also suggest that they bring electronics that can accept 120-volt and 240-volt inputs or take a transformer. Good job! Lew Bird Huntington Beach This is not a great, sexy or even fun travel tip, but it could save your life, if not a whole lot of trouble, in an emergency.