June 3, 1999 |
Gov. Gray Davis said Wednesday that he will order a panel of experts and environmentalists to explore options for the disposal of radioactive waste now that plans for a controversial site in Ward Valley have been scuttled. The governor announced that he will not appeal a judge's decision in March that blocked an attempt by California to obtain the Ward Valley property in the eastern Mojave Desert from the federal government. Davis has been a longtime opponent of the Ward Valley proposal.
April 3, 1999 |
A federal judge in Washington has dealt an apparently lethal blow to the bitterly contested, 10-year-old plan to build a dump for radioactive waste in Ward Valley in the eastern Mojave Desert barely 20 miles from the Colorado River. "I think [the] Ward Valley [dump] is dead," said Joe Nagel, president of U.S. Ecology, the company that was going to build and operate the dump. "This was really the basic case that was going to decide whether or not there was going to be a Ward Valley [dump]." U.
April 15, 1998 |
Democratic leaders of the California Legislature have asked the White House to halt negotiations with Gov. Pete Wilson aimed at transferring the proposed Ward Valley nuclear dump site to the state. Wilson's proposal to acquire the land is illegal because the state Department of Health Services, which has been negotiating to buy the land, lacks authority to do so, the leaders say.
December 3, 1997 |
A steady, 16-year decline in the quantity of low-level radioactive waste disposed of in the United States is prompting officials in several states to question the need for a new generation of commercial nuclear waste dumps, the first of which would be in Ward Valley in the Mojave Desert in eastern California.
July 16, 1997 |
Radioactive material that would be deposited in the proposed Ward Valley low-level nuclear waste dump near the Colorado River would come largely from nuclear reactors and could be far more toxic than previously portrayed, according to a study by the Congressional Research Service.
April 4, 1997 |
In the turf war over the proposed Ward Valley nuclear waste dump, the Wilson administration now says it plans to enter the federally owned land to do critical safety testing, just as the Clinton administration has cleared the way for its scientific experts to do the same tests. "We're just about ready to go," said Elisabeth Brandt, the Department of Health Services lawyer who has led the state's efforts to build California's first low-level nuclear waste repository.