January 30, 1991 |
In an attempt to revive Germany's battered image, Chancellor Helmut Kohl's government moved onto the political offensive Tuesday, pledging an additional $5.5 billion to support the U.S.-led Gulf War effort and unveiling a plan to tighten export controls to help halt the flow of military-related goods. He also ordered German army antiaircraft missile systems to Turkey, a North Atlantic Treaty Organization ally, to help deter a possible Iraqi attack against the alliance's southernmost country.
June 3, 1987
A retired Costa Mesa defense subcontractor became the second of three defendants to plead guilty to participating in a scheme to export models and components for the cluster bomb weapon to Saudi Arabia and Iraq. Anthony George Cenci, 62, is a former subcontractor for Aerojet Ordnance Co. of Downey, which has the Air Force contract for the Combined Effects Munitions weapon.
February 20, 1987 |
Models of components for the latest U.S. cluster bomb were intercepted on their way to Saudi Arabia in packages shipped by three Los Angeles-area men accused of stealing restricted weapons plans, a government prosecutor disclosed Thursday. Assistant U.S. Atty. Jeffrey Modisett said federal agents discovered models of a fuse, two inert bomblets and a bomblet cutaway in shipping cartons in New York City and the island nation of Bahrain. The two packages were addressed to the BSDE A & E Trading Co.
CALIFORNIA | LOCAL
February 27, 1987 |
An Iraq Embassy official in Washington asked for samples and models of this nation's newest cluster bomb weapons system that three Los Angeles-area men are accused of offering to sell and develop for Iraq and Saudi Arabia, a federal grand jury indictment disclosed Thursday. The indictment said Commercial Counselor Yousef Abdul Rahman wrote one of the defendants, Richard H.
January 30, 1991 |
Law enforcement and intelligence agencies have detected more than 700 cases in which firms and individuals worldwide have attempted to sell munitions and other goods to Iraq, including at least 20 cases since August in the United States, government sources have told The Times. The efforts to circumvent the 5-month-old international embargo are believed to be continuing even in the midst of war--hostilities that pose greater dangers to smugglers, but also potentially higher profits.
April 2, 1990 |
Iraqi officials denied Sunday that the electronic devices seized in a U.S.-British sting operation last week were to be used in nuclear weapons, saying they were instead purchased for unspecified industrial uses. "Iraq has neither the capability nor the wish to produce nuclear weapons," Nizar Hamdoon, Iraq's deputy foreign minister, said Sunday. He suggested that Iraq sought the U.S.