December 12, 2007 |
The expanded search for human remains at the former World Trade Center site is over for now. Deputy Mayor Edward Skyler, in a memo to Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg, said that the city Medical Examiner's Office had finished sifting the last of nearly 15,000 cubic yards of material excavated since the renewed search for remains began in October 2006. As a result, the city will shut down a Brooklyn facility it opened last December to analyze the remains.
August 10, 2007 |
Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and a coalition of relatives of Sept. 11 victims reached a compromise Thursday that would allow them to briefly descend into a small section of the former World Trade Center site, which the city previously had said was unsafe for the annual memorial.
July 4, 2007 |
A goal to end the search for human remains at the World Trade Center site by the fall is not realistic, and the effort will continue "for the foreseeable future," a city official said Tuesday. The city medical examiner's office will maintain a presence at the site indefinitely while construction continues in case excavations unearth more human remains, Deputy Mayor Ed Skyler said in a memo to Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg.
May 24, 2007 |
Seven insurers have agreed to pay an additional $2 billion to resolve all outstanding insurance claims from the Sept. 11, 2001, destruction of the World Trade Center, speeding redevelopment at ground zero, New York state officials said. The settlement ends more than five years of litigation between the insurers and Larry Silverstein, the site's developer. Officials consider the settlement the last major obstacle to redevelop ground zero.
January 29, 2007 |
The museum planned for ground zero should include a memorial to workers who died after becoming ill during cleanup of World Trade Center debris, two state lawmakers said, adding they would introduce state legislation to ensure those workers are recognized. "We want to tell the story of the 9/11 workers who rushed here to help put the city back on its feet, who got sick because they did that, and now unfortunately many of them have died," said Assemblyman Michael Gianaris.
December 30, 2006 |
The search for human remains at the World Trade Center site will be expanded, a city official said Friday. In a memo to Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg about the search, Deputy Mayor Ed Skyler said that debris believed to be from the towers had been dug up from under a service road on the site's western edge and that more of the road would be excavated. Crews have reported finding computer parts, office carpet, electrical wires and steel from the building.