July 1, 1992 |
For the third time in nine years, filmmaker Francis Ford Coppola is bankrupt. Coppola on Tuesday filed for Chapter 11 reorganization both personally and for his wholly owned Zoetrope Corp. and Zoetrope Productions. The latest bankruptcy filing in Federal Court in San Francisco caps a decade of financial turmoil for the famous director, whose films include "Apocalypse Now" and "The Godfather" trilogy.
July 26, 1990 |
Filmmaker Francis Ford Coppola has agreed to settle his long-running dispute with Canadian developer Jack Singer. Coppola also asked the U.S. Bankruptcy Court here to dismiss his personal bankruptcy case and a second bankruptcy that had been filed by Zoetrope Productions, a small film unit. Under the proposed settlement of an $8-million debt to Singer, Coppola will make a cash payment to the real estate magnate in August.
June 3, 1990 |
Nothing is simple with Francis Ford Coppola, least of all his bankruptcies. In the filmmaker's latest pair of Chapter 11 proceedings--and there have been four since 1983--the biggest creditor is longtime Coppola associate Fred Roos. Roos, a good soldier, has co-produced at least 16 of Coppola's films, from "The Conversation" to "Tucker." He also served as an officer of Coppola's Zoetrope Corp.
May 26, 1991 |
Sam Bottoms was actually on amphetamines when his character was on LSD in "Apocalypse Now." Martin Sheen was so drunk and agitated during his big scene in the movie that the crew thought he might attack the camera. And Marlon Brando not only showed up grotesquely overweight, but he hadn't even read the book on which the film was based and knew nothing about the character he was to play.
January 25, 1990 |
Film producer Francis Ford Coppola and his company filed for protection from creditors under bankruptcy laws today, court officials said. Coppola and Zoetrope Productions filed separately under Chapter 11 of the Bankruptcy Act, said the clerk's office at U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Santa Rosa. Details of the filing were not immediately available. Zoetrope, based in San Francisco, was expected to issue a statement later in the day.
August 7, 1990 |
After spending $55 million and six months behind the camera, director Francis Ford Coppola will return to Italy to reshoot portions of his upcoming epic, "The Godfather, Part III," according to sources close to the project. The $5 million in reshoots--one week in Sicily in early September, followed by one week in New York, and involving stars Al Pacino and Diane Keaton--will boost the cost of the troubled production to more than $60 million, the sources said.